Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cirus

Flywheel weight install?

11 posts in this topic

Just ordered a 10oz. flywheel weight from ZipTy to calm my YZ450F down a little for trailriding. Is the installation something I can do or do I need to take it to my mechanic? I'm mechanically inclined but have'nt worked on bikes all that much.

pretty straighforward IMHO, pop a cover, remove the wheel (w/puller), attach weight, re attach wheel to proper spec.

Will be a little easier if doing it with hand tools if you got that funky tool from ZipTy as well. I just used an impact wrench rated a few # shy of what was needed.

I would never use an impact wrench to install a flywheel. :naughty:You can't accurately torque on the nut. It's not worth having it come loose and destroying your flywheel, stator or crankshaft. Buy a torquwrench, borrow one or bring it in...

The last time I used an impact wrench to install a flywheel, I wound up with a new Crank.

Use a torque wrench instead !

Bonzai :)

yeah, I use torque wrench, but impact gun for removal. Don't need any other special tools.

How do you guys use a torque wrench on the flywheel nut? What are you using to hold it?

Go to a deal and ask for a univeral clutch tool. Around $22.00 I was looking for pics, but can't seem to find one. They look like a vise grips, that has to teeth one side for removing the clucth basket and two pins sticking out of the other side, with fit into the wholes on the fly wheel. Works great for both jobs. I will keep looking for pics

Go to a deal and ask for a univeral clutch tool. Around $22.00 I was looking for pics, but can't seem to find one. They look like a vise grips, that has to teeth one side for removing the clucth basket and two pins sticking out of the other side, with fit into the wholes on the fly wheel. Works great for both jobs. I will keep looking for pics

sorry, I should have stated a little more in detail how I did it, couldda caused some damage...

The impact helps immensely with removal tasks if you don't have the "right" tools. For install I set it with a butterfly impact wrench (60#) then did the brake trick as best as possible with the torque wrench.

At that point in time I was working with a beam indicator wrench, so using it to thread up to torque was a pain...thus the butterfly.

Have a earned redemption? I guess Ill wait till next week Ill discuss using my air hammer for spoke adjustments :)