2004 yzf450 down shifting problem

Hi, I need some real help quick. I bought a new 04 yzf450 days ago. I drove the bike a short time and started experiencing down shifting problems the shifter would stick down and would need pulled back up before you could continue downshifting to first gear. It seems that it is between 4th to 3rd or 3rd to second and it doesn't do it all the time. I took it back to the yamaha shop and they said maybe it is the spring. So they took it apart and placed more tension on the spring(so they say) and gave it back to me. I tried it again and the same problem took place. (has anyone experienced this ? Is there a recall?

The shop is saying they may have to split the cases and check inside the shifting fork etc.. Please respond I am really upset about this.

This is a common problem. The case is interfering with the shift mechanism causing it to hang up. It needs to be ground down just a little bit to allow some extra clearence. The dealer should do this if it's still in warranty...

Do you know specific part is hanging up on it? That way I can tell my dealer so they don't take forever fixing the problem.

petersonracing, how you liking the new 450? (besides the shift prob) hopefully they clear that up for you at the dealer quickly and, get you out for this weekend.

I love it man, it's so awesome. Now I am bummed about the shifting deal. I wasn't very worried about it when I was riding and it only happened a few times to me over the weekend (I just got the bike friday evening).

I took it in and they said they would look at it for me. I will likely be forever and a day before they have it done knowing most dealers.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys. My '04 is doing the same thing...3 rides into it. During the 1st ride it shifted like butter compared to my '02 426. Now, on the 3rd ride I go over the bars at CycleRanch on Sunday 'cuz the damn thing hung down and popped into neutral...I thought it was in 3rd and I was dropping into 2nd. Luckily I didn't get run over by the 4 guys behind me....man that was scary.

I'm hearing woes about the shift segment. I'd like to take the damn thing and throw it through the window. Can you believe that crap? Like hell will I let the dealer's tech work on my scoot, even though the guys are a good bunch.

My pop is old riding buds with a/the national Yamaha rep and they've been talking about burrs on the shift segment. Guess I'll take a look at it and send the bill to Yamaha...what a bummer. The bike is so fun to ride.

Jack #95.

I had the same problem. It is a burr on the shift segment. The shop should fix it under warranty.

I was like you. . . I do all my own wrenching and didn't want to let them take one wrench to it!!!! I finally just said what the hell and let them do it.

Figured if they f'ud it up, they could fix it.

It works flawlessly now. I love this thing.

I put an 8oz Zip-Ty flywheel weight on for trails and it chugs and never stalls, even with the taller first gear on the 4 speed. It still has all the pull of when it had no weight but tractors better on the low end.

I LOVE THIS BIKE!!!

I bought a 04 yz450f about 3 weeks ago and it did not shift down from 4th to 3rd right out of the box. I had about 15 minutes on the bike and stopped. I dumped the oil out and it was like metal flake paint!

I had to pressure Yamaha to take it back. I too, do all my own work and felt like doing it myself. But I gave in and took the engine in to be fixed. Yes, I pulled the engine myself. I don't want them thrashing it out of the frame!

It has been over a week now and I haven't heard anything. I hope they know what they are doing.

I have missed 2 races and one weekend ride.

I'm disappointed with Yamaha apparent quality control problem and slow resolve.

It better be good when I get it back! I wish I bought a Honda right now!

Can anyone give me a reason to be happy with the Yamaha over the Honda?

I bought a 04 yz450f about 3 weeks ago and it did not shift down from 4th to 3rd right out of the box. I had about 15 minutes on the bike and stopped. I dumped the oil out and it was like metal flake paint!

I had to pressure Yamaha to take it back. I too, do all my own work and felt like doing it myself. But I gave in and took the engine in to be fixed. Yes, I pulled the engine myself. I don't want them thrashing it out of the frame!

It has been over a week now and I haven't heard anything. I hope they know what they are doing.

Jump over to the Honda forum and read all of their problems.

Atleast your piston rings aren't allowing alot of oil to blow by. ?

Jump over to the Honda forum and read all of their problems.

Atleast your piston rings aren't allowing alot of oil to blow by. ?

Update: Yamaha has told me that the "shift plate was [@#$%&*!]-eyed". they did not split the cases. Apparently the welded on piece at he end of the shift shaft was not manufactured right or was bent on assembly. I wish they would replace the part, but they just bent it straight. I still don't have the engine back. It will be one month after my purchase before I get to ride.

The local track has already had 4 races. I'm very bummed about this deal, but I'm very excited to put it behind me and go out and have some fun! SMR

The latest, I got the engine back. It was scratched up, uncovered, and the oil lines and water outlets were exposed etc! But the shifter seems to work now. I will get it together this weekend. Time to ride! SMR