Painting Secrets

Help

Nasty frame wear marks.

I purchased PJ or PC paint and primer from the dealer. I followed directions on the can;

clean, sand, primer, sand, then paint.

End results CRAP!!!

OK whats the tips on paint touch up.

Touch up hardly ever comes out right because the rest of the bike has natural wear and tear. You can never match that. The only real way to do it is to strip your bike down and start from scratch.

Or just ride it, it's a dirt bike anyway.

Cover it up with Works Connection side plates...better to squeeze onto and will hide those "nasty" marks.... :)

Or use the 3M tape that Tim Ferry uses

3m.jpg

I have the blue plastic Frame guards , they cover every part of the frame and you can hardly tell that they are on there. They are pretty cheap also . Any dealer can get them for you . :)

DPW:

Where can I buy the 3M tape and does it come in different colors? Do auto parts stores carry it, paint stores?

Thanks

I got my tape from Home Depot. It has been on the bike for more than 6 months now without any sign of coming off. 3 months of that time was without Works frame guards...

It does wear on your boots though, but not bad.

ben

Originally posted by bassr #186:

DPW:

Where can I buy the 3M tape and does it come in different colors? Do auto parts stores carry it, paint stores?

Thanks

I'd like to know the answer to that as well. I've also heard of a "Rubberized Grip Tape" from 3M that I could not locate, don't know if that is the same product.

FYI I tried some grip tape I got from the local skate shop (dude!), and it didn't last two minutes. Just came right off, it looked sharp but doesn't adhere well enough.

Hick and Bassr,

I went to every HomeDepot in my area(Dallas,Texas) and similar store and most of the sales people looked at me like I had two heads when I asked for the tape. Just for grins I went to the Homedepot website and did a search and put my sister's zip code 96026 and searched for "safety walk" and found it. Here's the name of the product that I ordered, there is different widths available. I think the only color is gray.

2"x60' Gray 3M? Safety-Walk? Medium Duty Resilient Tread

Brand: 3M

SKU #259187

I could not order it from my local HD though, they could only order full roles from 3M for $65. So I had my sister buy a couple of feet for me and mail it to me. I should hopefully have it tomorrow, so I'd wait till I get it and make sure it's the right stuff before you guys order the same stuff.

-Dennis

I just bought a roll of Clear Anti-skid tape. The stuff is kind-of expensive at around $1 per foot. But, you can get it at Seton Identification Products (800) 243-6624. The part number for a 4" wide x 60' roll is 63010. They also have a 6" wide version part no 63011 (a little more expensive.) The stuff isn't as bad on your boots because it isn't quite as abrasive as the grip tape from the skate store. The adhesive is super strong. I used it to cover the side of my CRF's aluminum frame because I got tired of cleaning the black oxide off it. I also covered the first few inches of my number plates where my boots were scuffing my $60 socal decals and on the area of the front number plate where the brake hose rubs. 60' of this stuff should last me forever.

The 3m stuff on Ferrys bike is great....for one moto. I put that stuff on and now it looks like crap. It worked really well and didnt eat my boots, but my boots ate it pretty bad. The bad part about this is, the sticky backing on that grey 3M stuff is industrial strenght man. All the grey tacky gritty stuff is gone but the clear stick tape is almost impossible to get off with out borrowing EGO's flame thrower.

I used the PJ1 paint and it matched perfect. Sand, apply white primer, sand, Apply blue color, then finish with clear coat. Works great :) Then I protected it with works frame guards and clear grip tape from Factory Effex. Comes in a 12" x 18" sheet.

Pete

Originally posted by DaveJ:

RMARION,

What do you mean by "crap"?

Orange peel, bad color match, not staying on..etc?

DaveJ

I had Orange Peeling. I took my time, (so I thought, doin it right) preping, sanding, primer, and when I painted it would orange peel. Did it twice, I finely gave up, been racin with it for a year.

Now its time to clean her up, and make room for the New addition. (I hope, 03-YZ450)

Originally posted by WRFUN:

I used the PJ1 paint and it matched perfect. Sand, apply white primer, sand, Apply blue color, then finish with clear coat. Works great :) Then I protected it with works frame guards and clear grip tape from Factory Effex. Comes in a 12" x 18" sheet.

Pete

Pete

I followed the same directions, maybe I had bad paint? I know I shook that can for 30 minutes (felt like it)?

Pete,

They are a few things that cause orange-peel, but most likely you still had some residue left behind that was causing the paint to roll up.

Usually sandpaper will pick up oils and waxes and continue to apply them while you strip the paint down to the metal.

So the trick is to use a wax remover with a new cloth. Most paint shops carry this, and I think acetone and some other self-evaporating solvents will work as well. Some carb and brake cleaners will work, but certain ones will leave a residue.

And you have to make sure you don't use anything other than a brand new cloth since most fabrics still hold oil even after they have been washed.

Try again and I think you'll be pleased with your new results.

DaveJ

Wow. Good job of leg work on that one bud.

Let us know how it works and what it is like when you get it.

RMARION,

What do you mean by "crap"?

Orange peel, bad color match, not staying on..etc?

DaveJ

Just cut up a freakin plastic milk jug to rap around the area ya want not scratched

Beter then painting a YZ ktm orange "CRAP"

3mtape.jpg

I received the tape this afternoon. The picture should give you an idea of the texture. Hopefully I'll be able to get it on this weekend and let you know how it works.

[ May 17, 2002: Message edited by: DPW ]