HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bushy

Closing the valves?

8 posts in this topic

Can somebody please tell me if it is a smart idea to close the valves after I ride my bike? Also how might I go about doing this. :)

Not sure what you mean. The only thing you need to do after riding the bike is turn the gas petcock off. No need to do anything else.

The valves will close by themselves. The spring pressure will roll the motor either forward or back to releive the pressure.

Ohh, I was just woundering becuase at this site, number 25 says:

When you shut your engine off, bring the piston up to top dead center. This closes the valves. It’s an old BSA trick.

Weird, if they close by themselfs?

The valves will close by themselves. The spring pressure will roll the motor either forward or back to releive the pressure.

I don't think it will, at least on the older bikes. When I turn my bike off I always kick it until it hits the hard spot (valves closed) and about 50% of the time it turns over a good ways before it gets there. :)

Pull the sight plug out, and spin it untill you line up the marks? I can do it by feel since I still have the decompression release in the bars.

closing the valves is only required on engines with massive camshafts (pro stock engines etc etc)

It is done to take the weight off the valve springs, which are only good for a few race meetings anyway in pro stock engines.

Hamish

closing the valves is only required on engines with massive camshafts (pro stock engines etc etc)

It is done to take the weight off the valve springs, which are only good for a few race meetings anyway in pro stock engines.

Hamish

Wouldn't there always be an open valve on a 4cyl?

Especially with a big cam?