washing your bikes

What do you guys use to keep your babies clean? What do you guys block off i.e. tailpipe, air box???

How do you guys keep your chain clean, what solvents work the best for cutting that dirty oil junk on there?

Since I live in Hollister

I go down to the local area where the ilegals are and get them to wash it for a $1:50

I have a rubber ball I cut a hole in and slip it over the tailpipe,simple green everything let it sit awhile, simple green everything again, then start blasting with the PW. I don't scrub my chain, I just add more wax. When it's all clean I swap airfilters, change oil and smile

Dude, you trust illegals to wash your $6,000 bike? Aren't you worried they are going to screw it up.

No not at all I am wearing my INS uniform :)

YznVegas, this is my drill. I spray the chain with engine degreaser and let it sit for about 20 min in the sun. Then I break out the pressure washer and the all purpose cleaner and pop the hose from the washer right in the jug. Spray as required, occasionally stopping for the odd barley pop. I dilegently spray the chain. When Im done the chain looks like new. The I ride it up and down the street to throw the water out of the chain and re-lube the heck out of the chain with Maxima Chainwax. More barley pop, the clean the filter, barley pop, re-oil filter, set in sun to dry, barley pop, barley pop. put the filter back put the seat back, turn on the speed channel, look for World superbikers, go Ben Bostrom.

Oh I forgot, I got an expansion plug for the exhaust pipe. It makes it easy to spray the mudd out of the rear fender with having to worry about water down the exhaust.

Shawn, that sounds cool. So you actually use the pressure washer on the chain?

Oh yah where on the bike is that part called the "barley pop"???? :D:):D

(just kidding)

On the same subject, does anybody cover the airbox or anything else besides the exhaust when they wash their bike?

On the same subject, does anybody cover the airbox or anything else besides the exhaust when they wash their bike?

Usually the barley pop is on the seat, but dont hit it with the pressure washer, thats known as a party foul!

WHATS UP GUYS

TWIN AIR SELLS A COVER FOR THE AIRBOX IT COSTS LIKE 20 BUCKS MY DRILL IS REMOVE FILTER/INSTALL COVER/INSTALL EXHAUST PLUG-GYTR SELLS A NICE ONE/HOSE THE BIKE OFF OF ALL THE DIRT/SPRAY IT DOWN WITH A LOT OF SIMPLE GREEN/I USE TWO BRUSHES ONE FOR MOSTLY THE ENTIRE BIKE AND ONE JUST FOR THE CHAIN-REAL STIFF/HOSE OFF AGAIN/DRY/LUBE CHAIN/INSTALL NEW FILTER THIS IS MY DRILL HOPE IT HELPS OUT

Thanks eddie, that sounds cool. It seems like Simple Green is the stuff to use. I was worried about damaging like rubber boots on the carb but I guess it is cool.

Use caution when spraying around the steering head. I recently had to replace my bearings because the grease became contaminated with water. The water came from spraying with a garden hose....not even a pressure washer.

I use 50/50 MR Clean and water. Hose the bike off, sray all metal and under fenders with the mixture, let sit, spray bike again, wipe bike down with a wet rag, wipe down with a dry rag. Bike is now clean.

It works. Trust me, my bike is clean.

vegas

me and all my buddies use simple green and never had any problems

westly's clear magic :)

Charlies Soap it's the best thing I've ever used. www.charliesoap.com

I agree with the Westly's.

Ive been useing it for the past 5 years.

Spray it on and hose it off.

I've been using a pressure washer for under the fenders and areas of the motor that are hard to get too and any place with caked on mud (avoid any area that has seals!). I use a sponge and a bucket of water with car soap for everything else.

I mix about 3 parts water/1 part Simple Green. I've tried several other brands of cleaners. The simple green is great. Won't oxidize aluminum and won't hurt rubber. I don't have an airbox cover so I just WD-40 the chain, wet the bike with a garden hose, simple green everything, rub the greasy spots with my finger and hose it all off. Take care to not let the simple green dry on the bike or it will spot. The simple green causes the water to sheet off. The golf tee in the weep hole is a good idea. Water in the spark plug cavity will cause the outside of the plug to rust. The 3:1 cleaner is just because it is plenty strong to clean a bike and a bottle of simple green lasts longer that way. I never use a pressure washer. I hope to get an air box cover and simple green the inside of the air box and hose out soon. Don't worry too much about the water in the box. Just make sure you dry it out when your done and clean/dry the filter before riding. After I'm done I will usually Armorall all of the plastic to help keep mud from sticking. Good luck.