BEWARE 450 KICK STARTER BREAKING!!!!!

I've broken my kick starter shaft twice in a year on my 03 450F and Yamaha won't cover it!! They know they have a problem but are in denial!! The local shop has had 4 break in the last 6 months. I'll never buy another Yamaha again and I was just about to buy a new '05. Now I'm going Honda, screw Yamaha!!!

twice huh? How hard are you kicking? I never had the first issue with mine..

Have fun with the Honda...they break too......... :naughty:

Did anyone notice that this thread is a year old?

How can you tell when you break a shaft? My '02 426 makes a terrible popping sound when I kick it sometimes.It doesn't have any problems kicking.

Looks like it did start a year ago. That dude must have a new bike and has long forgotten us. Hardly worth the witty comebacks I was working on. I wont fall for a "banana in the tailpipe" again.

I've broken my kick starter shaft twice in a year on my 03 450F and Yamaha won't cover it!! They know they have a problem but are in denial!! The local shop has had 4 break in the last 6 months. I'll never buy another Yamaha again and I was just about to buy a new '05. Now I'm going Honda, screw Yamaha!!!

Traitor...

Got an 03, had it 14 months kick start never broke, even when trying to free a seized crank (big end bearing)..........curtains23 :naughty:

i had a problem with mine breaking after about ten hours, the bike shop i bought it from covered it this time. i guess we will see.

Look at Honda's posts. You'll see more trouble than here.

Good catch WROOKIE!undefined

Did anyone notice that this thread is a year old?
Yeah, the newbie dug it up (htheaker)

gotta give him props on using the search then.. most noobs never use that wonderful lil button.

Good catch Kevin! Hmmmm, 1 - Post...

My son has a CFR80 and I have broke the kick starter twice. I guess with that bad experience, I will never own a CRF450!

I'll have to admit that the 1st time it broke, I had the key turned off and I literally kicked the s*%t out of it!

:)

I can't speak from experience, but my son's 426 has a "procedure" if you want to kick it over easy and have it start. Maybe your trying to kick it under FULL compression? :D Hell of a thing not knowing how to start your bike :):)

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.