It there a way to make homemade seal savers?

I showed my mom a set I had purchased for my kid's bike and mentioned wanting to buy some for my bike since seal leaks were a pain. She was appalled when I told her what they cost (which is comparatively cheap when considering the price of ANY useful bike part, but I did not tell her that...).

She was soon in Walmart and found some neoprene sunglass holders they were closing out for under a dollar each, just a bag to hang on your dash really, but they were large enough and were even black. She took a few measurements and did her magical cut, snip, and sew routine and within a few minutes I had a great pair of seal savers... ?

Don't use gauze (can't imagine how that would hold up in weather...) Use neoprene. Maybe find a buddy with an old wet suit to cut up..? Your girlfriend's suit might look better with a little trimming in a few select spots? :D Now that my mind is fully in the gutter :D, spandex might even work, but I suspect it would not hold its shape and fold under during fork travel.

• 2 months later...

I got sick of replacing seals and fixing fork leaks on my last bike so I put these fork boots on and made a guard on the disc side to keep the boots out of the brakes and spokes. 3 years and no leaks and yes I do service the forks a couple of times a summer.WR Dave. ? Sorry I can't get the pic into the post.

It seems like a lot of work to make a product that is relatively inexpensive to buy. ? I try to base my purchases on cost v. usefulness v. "being cool to have." "Being cool to have" often wins! :devil: But in this case they are cost effective. I have them on my bike and my son's bike. They work and based on the cost of having the forks serviced after blowing a seal they are a bargain at $20. I have heard that some guys buy the full size savers for $28 and cut them into three separate pieces to reduce cost. This seems like a good idea. :awww:

I am not sure that these are worth making. Unless a person cleans them all the time, the end result is not good.

I just pulled a set off my mountainbike. I had not cleaned them for a while. The dirt and grit is all over the savers. It acts like a sheet of sandpaper on the forks. Not a good idea!