HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimBrp

Clutch Action

5 posts in this topic

I replaced my stock clutch with a Barnett Dirt Digger and Xr's only HD springs. The clutch feels a bit grabby and will make a slight noise when taking off under load in first gear. It'll grab great at high rpm and no slipping. The noise is kind of a rubbing sound, like if you ran your finger across clean teeth, squeaky. What's the deal, am I out of adjustment a tad?

I have had clutches on other bikes that made a noise upon engagement. I say as long as clutch action feels right at lever and engagement feels right, run it and don't worry about it. How much did the rebuild cost you, around $100? I am worried about clutch longevity for our riding conditions.

Not many people understand our conditions. I changed my gearing to 14/50 and it helped a bit. However, I still find myself begging for the clutch in the tight stuff. Not necessarily for power but just for on and off throttle. I go through some tight stuff and it's just hard. Rebuild was 100 bucks. I did the whole clutch pack w/ Xr's only HD springs new judder seat and spring, gasket and clutch lock nut.

You can go to a 13 up front if you need to. I have similar conditions in Tillamook Forest where I ride. I had a 13/50 setup but am now working on trying to ride with the stock 14/48. First gear IS a bit TALL, doing that... :)

Every Barnett clutch I have ever used has been grabby and noisy. I tried them in XR400's and always went back to stock plates because I could never get them to engage as smoothly or quietly as I wanted.

I understand your conditions perfectly. :) I have tried 14/48, 14/50, 13/48, 13/50 and have settled on 14/49. It may be slightly tall but just leave it in 2nd or 3rd, abuse the clutch, and go like hell. :D With the lower gearing I found the power too abrupt in 2nd and it was wearing me out after a couple of hours. :D