HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
justbelowme

my 04 is slow

13 posts in this topic

hey I think my new 04 is alot slower then my 03 was, anyone else think so, or do I have a lemon, I really miss the hit. I've had it for a couple weeks now, I've ridden it alot, about fifteen hours according to my hourmeter, I just think it's alot slower, I got all the same set-ups as my old one, let me know what you guy's think.

Mags say that it is a little tamer than the 03 and that the 03 has a tad more power, so that ,most likely, means the 04 is slower than the 03, but it should be unnoticeable to the avg rider.

My .02

I have both an '03 and an '04. I still like the '03 better. I don't think that either bike is faster or better than the other. Yamaha changed the ignition maping on the '04 and I am not sold on the change yet. The suspension is way better and so is the clutch on the '04. The '04 power comes on slower but pulls harder and longer than the '03. That is my two cents.

I have both an '03 and an '04. I still like the '03 better. I don't think that either bike is faster or better than the other. Yamaha changed the ignition maping on the '04 and I am not sold on the change yet. The suspension is way better and so is the clutch on the '04. The '04 power comes on slower but pulls harder and longer than the '03. That is my two cents.

that is why I did not jump on the 04. Although I wish I had 04 forks! I am waiting to see what the 05 has to offer or jump to another color altogether.

You "think" it's slower? Did you do lap times and compare?

Sorry I'm not trying to be a wise guy here,but I remember the look on my buddy's face when we compared back to back lap times when he rode my bike after pounding laps on his 2- smoke.He was positive he was faster on his 250.. :)..nope almost one sec. / lap slower on his bike set up for him!!!Things sometimes always aren't what they seem

Ever had your buddy and you drag race your two bikes to see which one is faster? I'm not talking which one is faster around a track, I'm talking a good old fashion drag race. :D

Then, switch bikes and make sure it's not just the rider. Then, if you guys can't agree on which bike is faster, you'll have to settle the argument with a game of chicken :D:)

my new 04 is alot slower then my 03 was,

wow i'm bummed to hear that... i jumped from the '02 426 to the '04 450 and have been nothing but, impressed. i've let some of my friends test it at the track and i get the same response... riding my bike is like cheating... incredibly easy to ride and all the power you need right at a throttle twist. maybe you just got a bad one or needs to be tuned.

my friend had that problem and he put in a new clutch, it was back to the hard hit again, so your clutch could be smoked :)

All I know is that I had an 03 sold it and rode a buddies modified 03 bought an 04 and fell in love all over again.

The 04 fork makes up for an awful lot and the motor seems broader, Ill keep the 04 thanks.

O.K. let me explain something, the bikes not slow, it's just slower then last years, it may just be smoother, I ride mx, and I don't care what the top speed is, I'm not drag racing on the salt flats, I want the hit back, my clutch is fine, the bike just doesn't hit as hard, also my lap times are the same, which sucks, cause that means I'm not getting any faster, where I really notice the lack of power is when you make a small mistake, and you need to make it back up, or out of corners entering a jump section, don't get me wrong, this bike rocks, the whole reason I bought this bike is for dependability, I kept breaking my two stroke, so I went to four stroke, I had 223 hours on my 03 and never took one bolt out of the motor, you can't beat that, but these bikes have a few small problem, like... clutch pull is too hard, gearing is really wacked, 2nd is to low 3rd is to high, (for me anyway) chain slider can wear a hole in your swingarm no matter what you do, airbox is too small, front brake sucks, now on the flip side, the suspension is race ready just bone stock, and you can't beat reliability, take that for what its worth, but I miss my 03.

The only change to the engine was the CDI box from 03 to 04. Maybe that will get you the hit you're looking for...or maybe a TT'r wants to trade their 03 box for an 04?