Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wyatt

Help!! Steering head bearings!!

6 posts in this topic

How is the best way to remove the bottom steering head bearing??? I ask this after I have cut mine off to remove it. Surely you don't have to do this every time. Once the bearing is in place, there is no place to hit it to drive it back off the shaft.

I noticed that my steering would slightly stick after my bike sat on the stand. I removed the steering head to find that water had contaminated the grease on the bearings. My bike has never been submerged in water and is always kept indoors. The water came from washing the bike with a garden hose and spray nozzle. Moral to the story......watch where you spray....even with a garden hose. I will use much greater caution from now on while spraying in this area.

The easiest (only) way is to press the stem out of the lower triple clamp. The bearing obviously pops right off. Plus it can be repacked much more thoroughly with it off the stem.

As mxtuner point out

With proper tools one can leveragde it off easly, if you have access to a press more better..

It does come off easily if pressure is applied evenly

I have a question, having never taken the clamp off this bike. Arent the bearings in the headstock tapered bearings? If so, why couldnt you heat the bottom race to ease the removal?

That is an option if the do not come out very easily with leverage.

The only time I had to cut them or press them is if the bike is just badly maintained and they are rusted

I bought a 20 ton hydraulic press from Harbor Freight that has paid for itself many times over. It comes in handy for all kinds of stuff if you work on your own bikes/cars/mowers/bicycles/tractors...etc. The thing isn't the best quality, but the price was right and it gets the job done. Of course, you'll need a little space to store it and it IS heavy.

It paid for itself when I changed the front CV joint and axles on my son's Celica. We had to press a support bearing off the old axle and press it on to the new one. The lowest estimate I got for the entire job was nearly $500. We did it in about 5 hours at a cost of $95 in parts. Naturally, a few neighbors have also asked for favors with their projects and repairs.