HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sixinchsloth

Brake fluid

7 posts in this topic

What's the difference between dot 4 and dot 5? I mistakingly ordered dot 5 bel ray synthetic when my bike calls for dot 4. Should I swap it out or will it work ? :D:)

I guess tis the season for fluid changes. Assuming you saw this thread already. Ill add to it by saying that if I recall correctly, the Dot5 is more hygroscopic (thus - absorbing water quicker) then Dot 3/4, and would require more frequent changes to maintain consistent performance.

I go with the Dot3 (castrol)GT LMA or BelRay dot 4, both are cheap and available, but the LMA is good for those 3am insomniac visits to walmart :)

I saw a discussion that DOT 5 can be harmful to the rubber seals in some systems. Don't know if this is true or not.

DOT 5 is just fine if you completely drain the system DRY before adding it. Mixing 4 and 5 together will cause thickining and will ruin the seals on the actuator. I learned that lesson the hard way a while back. If you have mixed them FLUSH YOUR SYSTEM IMMEDIATELY!

Bonzai :)

I guess tis the season for fluid changes. Assuming you saw this thread already. Ill add to it by saying that if I recall correctly, the Dot5 is more hygroscopic (thus - absorbing water quicker) then Dot 3/4, and would require more frequent changes to maintain consistent performance.

I go with the Dot3 (castrol)GT LMA or BelRay dot 4, both are cheap and available, but the LMA is good for those 3am insomniac visits to walmart :)

You have that backwards actually. DOT5 is LESS hygroscopic. It was designed for the military so that it does not absorb water and can be used in a vehicle stored for long periods of time without getting contaminated by water.

I go with the Dot3 (castrol)GT LMA or BelRay dot 4, both are cheap and available, but the LMA is good for those 3am insomniac visits to walmart :D

You have that backwards actually. DOT5 is LESS hygroscopic. It was designed for the military so that it does not absorb water and can be used in a vehicle stored for long periods of time without getting contaminated by water.

Thanks :) I just know I have a sticky note on my brain to not exceed 4 for any purpose unless it was a new system altogether but I couldn't remember why.

I just know like oil, if you buy cheap - buy often :D

(no, no Rotella ramblings from me today :D )

Thanks for straightening this out guys :D

Ditto on the DOT5 is less hygroscopic. A drawback is that it is actually a compressible fluid, therefore creating a spongy feel in the brakes.