To all Mx'ers

What do yall think of quad racers? I always hear about how they tear up the tracks and are just terrible for the racers, but maybe yall are just seeing something that I don't. So what do yall HONESTLY think of them?

• Like 1

i love a tore up track, to me, they are just other racers out there havin fun like we should be doing. not complaining about it. the only problem i have with them is that if they bust down a rut or a burm in a corner that has been there the whole time, then i get angered, but its all good. sometimes they even bust down the ruts on the faces of jumps which is pretty cool. ?

Just remember that we are all out there to do the same thing. Have FUN. I have both and hate to see people trash one or the other just because they think that quads or bikes are better. I seen a post in a newsgroup where some bike guys were happy that some law in California I think, would ban quads from riding in an area. (Sorry no specifics can't recall where) We should get along and fight together to keep riding areas open for all of us. I heard from a ranger that the forest dept. in Florida was taking a look at the damage in the Ocala National Forest from riders. Now quads greatly outnumber bikes, we all will take the fall together. Does not matter if it’s the forest or a local MX track.

Originally posted by rpadgett2:

Does not matter if it?s the forest or a local MX track.

I have nothing against quads but I disagree with the above statement. There's an area about 20 miles from me that I've been riding for about 15 years. It used to be chock-ful of single-track. Now it's "maintained" by a trail maintenance machine. The trails are now a minimum of 36" wide and dangerous as hell. A local rider was killed there just last month. The trails were made wider to accomodate "all offroad users" and I guess that's what I have a problem with. It's not that I want to see a certain segment locked-out but it'd be nice to leave some trails as single-track designation only. Just my opinion, YMMV.

Merf

Offroad quad popularity is a mixed blessing for two-wheel trail riders. On one hand, they tend to contribute to congestion on trails and staging areas that previously supported less traffic. They create more dust and require more space. Since basic riding skills are easier to master on a quad, there is a higher ratio of unprepared, uninformed, and unsafe riders. Mixing quads and bikes on trails creates more unpredictability. If a quad has been down a particular trail, it will never be singletrack again.

However, the increase in offroad motorsport enthusiasm and the relative numbers of people participating has blossomed to the point of becoming nearly a mainstream form of recreation. Quad popularity is probably the largest single contributing factor to this evolution. The up side of this is that we will eventually win the war against the environmental extremists by sheer numbers.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. In order to protect your right to your offroad thrill, you must defend those rights for others as well. Hopefully, as OHV becomes more established and better managed, we can figure out how to share trails and riding areas and each pursue our particular interests with out running each other over and without wreckless disregard for preserving the areas themselves. There's lots of land out there. Plenty of room for me to have my single track on one day and tear up the two-track with my quad buddies the next. It's all good. ?

Its not just Quad Racers / Riders, its newbiews oldbies and those that just dont have a like of sense.

Personally I would like to see classes on the dues and donts when a dirt bike is sold just like getting a street license, a hunting license.

How many times have you burned up or down a trail, having some nim-rod parked in the middle or at the bototm of the turn. Worst yet is they put there kids on bikes and stupid things happen that shouldnt.

Ya quads are the worse but there are some pretty bad two wheelers also.

Bottom line is we all have the right to ride anywhere, This is not Animal Farm where some are more equal then others...

Just my $4.26 worth

I love Quads, but there are some issues arising by their populrity. Now, this is just my opinion, but most off road riders on two wheels follow a certain mind set and mostly share trail etiquette (sp?). Since Quads "seem" to be easier to ride they attract people that may not have as much experience. While it's great to have more people out there enthusiastic, it's also dangerous to have allot of people riding machines they haven't exactly mastered, nor have they been seasoned in off road courtesey.

Last november where I ride there was a Quad vs. bike head on collission that broke a KX250 in half (snapped the tripple clamps) and severley damaged the Quad. Both riders were uninjured thankfully, and though I didn't directly witness the actual crash (I arrived a few minutes after) it was an obvious equation. 6 foot wide logging trail, Quad sweeping a corner, bike sweeping the same corner, both probably 3rd or 4th gear, both hit the brakes, and the laws of physics took over.... It looked like they both slid to the outside of the corner where they met with a pretty solid impact. Had I been either rider I'd have been so happy to not have been hurt that I would have walked away amazed and embarrassed that the incident happened at all. It is an assumed risk we all take, and in areas that aren't governed by traffic laws, trail directions, rules and regulations, it quickly becomes a ride at your own risk situation. That's the way most of us have always known riding to be. I think that's also why most of us that ride in the woods regualarly have adopted courtesey, and do things a little differently than the way we do them on the race track.

So, what's the solution? Rider responsibility? Well... we all go riding for the same reasons for the most part.. It's fun to push it a little, go fast. (if we wanted to go slow we'd all be on Yellow bikes.. Just kidding.. ? ) But I agree that it's difficult to share the same trails without markings, directional routes etc.. As the trails widen for more use it also presents more danger.

(Funny thing.. the Quad rider in this incident is persuing a lawsuit claming the KX ride was riding irresponsibly, and that he and his group of riders were on a leisurly trail ride and weren't there to go fast (Of course not.. twin cylinder Banshees are built for the farm or something right.. lol) but moments after the damaged machine was trucked away the rest of his group were doing high speed wheelies down the asphault access road... Makes you wonder sometimes.... Has anyone else noticed that ATV owners seem to either be more prone to sue, or is it that they get more press???

Bottom line.. I Love Quads, but they don't always mix well on the same trails and tracks. They do clean up chunky dirt nicely after it's disced though!!

Originally posted by Jeff Bailey:

(Funny thing.. the Quad rider in this incident is persuing a lawsuit claming the KX ride was riding irresponsibly,

Oh lord. There is, IMHO, NO room for this kind of BS. I'm sure if I ever hit one of these guys that I'd be the one sued. Like most everyone here, I tend to wick-it when I'm out trail riding. However, since my local area is heavily used, I can only do that when I can see what's coming. I've had a head-on with another bike. It's not highly recommended. I can't imagine having a head-on with a quad....

And, just to set the record straight, I'm in total agreement with the double-edged sword comments. While I think having more people using the trails could be good, there is a downside. I'm willing to live with the extra traffic, just PLEASE leave SOME single-track...

Merf

Well, I'm new here and usually I would let some people know about me, but when I asked this question, I wanted honest opinions. Now for the introduction, I"m a 16 year old quad racer, that doesn't ever ride public trails (only occasionally mine and some friends trails). In fact, I barely ever ride trails at all. When on the track, I personnaly hate the ruts and usually steer clear of them but as you mx racers know, that isn't always possible. If I do end up hitting a rut, I will drob my inside tires in it and let it "sling shot" me around the corner. I haven't ever noticed that tearing up those ruts (infact, I usually notice the ruts getting... uh... more rutted?). But I was actually suprised by your replies... I would have figured there would be a lot of complaints and quad bashing going on. I'm out there for the same reason as all you other Mx racers and I generally ride just as hard as yall do. No, we don't have to balance our machines as much as yall do but we do get the privelage of moving a 350+ lbs machine through the air ? . I enjoy riding bikes but personnally, I like quads more. Nothing against yall, just what ever floats your boat right?

Jeff - no we don't all like to sue. In fact I think all the lawsuits now adays are rediculous. Especially while riding. If you ride, expect to go down sometimes. If you can't handle it, get a play station.

Later

Dale

You lil Wipper snapper you, No that you ID'd your self, we drew you into our Plan Mooohahahahahahahahaahahhaha

Ya QUAD guys eat dirt the smell, there kids will grow up to be Nazi enviromental Wacko's

Nah juts kidding

We all love the one thing that keeps us in this brother hood. RAW POWER, RAW SPEED, and oh ya

The Chiks cant forget the Chiks ?

Originally posted by rpadgett2:

Just remember that we are all out there to do the same thing. Have FUN. I have both and hate to see people trash one or the other just because they think that quads or bikes are better. I seen a post in a newsgroup where some bike guys were happy that some law in California I think, would ban quads from riding in an area. (Sorry no specifics can't recall where) We should get along and fight together to keep riding areas open for all of us. I heard from a ranger that the forest dept. in Florida was taking a look at the damage in the Ocala National Forest from riders. Now quads greatly outnumber bikes, we all will take the fall together. Does not matter if it’s the forest or a local MX track.

i live in jax, do you ever go to ocala?

Spanky - You're Corndog in the atvconnection forums aren't you... I figured you were by the "2002 (with 2001 crap) Cannondale Cannible" in your sig. I hope you know that the ECU 500 isn't a "2001" computer. They had them on their 2002 models and lots of people got the 500 on their 02 Cannibals until Cannondale did some work w/ GP and they were able to come out w/ a computer that's a little more "adjustable". Since the ECU 500's aren't faulty, they WON'T cover it under warranty (which yours doesn't have anymore anyways, especially since you are the 2nd owner of the quad). The fact that they replaced your engine rail for free when you weren't under warranty (and like I said, you bought it used) was just pure genorosity (sp?). Don't expect that from ANY other manufacturer.

[ May 06, 2002: Message edited by: Dale#71 ]

EgoAHole - My kids may become Nazi's later on, they may be whacko's later on, they may even take up drugs and sell on the streets, and even though I won't like it, I'll still love them like a father should, BUT if they become tree huggers :D:D? I will completely disown them. No son of mine will EVER be one of those nature F@!kers.

P.S. I don't care if you are a bike rider, or a quad rider... as long as you don't get in my way, and I don't get in your way, I'm cool with anyone... except environmentalist :D

Originally posted by Spanky:

i live in jax, do you ever go to ocala?

I try to go as much as I can. There is no real place to ride here in jax. I like to camp and spend the weekend. When I can't I'll make a day trip out of it. I plan on going the next weekend, but this weekend I have plans. Do you go often?

I can live with a few of the local quad riders. They have every piece of gear and are smart riders. The rest of them can go to hell. All they do is f**k up the lines and put two big ruts on all the faces of the jumps. I saw a guy on a bike slide out of the middle line and get stuck in a quad rut and get thrown in a nose dive tail whip. He was very lucky he was thrown off the bike because he would have been very hurt. Then there are the punks who do nothing but try to be show-offs. They get there wussy Blasters and go off of a one foot jump and then start talkin Sh*t. They screw around and get in everyones way. I almost got hit by one of those aholes. I think he is still pickin the roost out of his teeth ? . I dont think quads and bike belong on the same track. They should be riding on a quad only track.

Yall must have some soft jumps. If a quad can put 2 ruts in the face of the jump, than the bikes must make some Hellatious ruts in those jumps. Out of the 5 tracks I have been to, none of them have ever had any ruts anywhere but in the corners. Obviously the bikes make ruts easier due to the narrow tire and the fact that they can get that one single tire spinning very easily, so like I said, the bikes must be putting monster ruts in the jumps if quads are doin it.

Oh and just because you see a few people on quads being idiots, doesn't mean we're all like that. I've seen some idiots on bikes but I still get along with most bike riders just fine. You've seen some crazy drivers on the road... does that mean all people with cars are crazy?

Saying the rest of us can go to hell is kinda harsh. Like I said, us quad riders ride just as hard as the bike riders.

Originally posted by Spanky:

mine makes huge ruts and i get stuck in them. oh yeah, quad landings are nasty.

Learn how to ride, and if you can't handle a little rough landing, you need something that won't leave the ground.

Okay, you've already been banned from the connection, so I won't bother replying your posts anymore.