Need help starting the YZ 426

Ok I just got a used 02' YZ 426 and I am having problems starting the bike.I got it to fire up Wed.on the 3 kick and let it sit there for about 1min. and took off across the yard.Brought it back and decided I would shut it down to see if I could start it again,but no can do ?. So today I get home from work and I figure I would give it another try.I gave it a small kick till it stopped.Pulled the comp.lever and pushed it about 2".Brought the kickstart to the top and kicked the crap out of it.While downing this I kept my hand off the gas.I tried this for about 2-3min then I just got mad and tired.I have had 3 guy tell 3 different way to start it and they are all different. :D I would like to take this bike out this weekend but not if I can start when I want to.HELP please.

You sound like you have the ritual down. A few tips, some of the Yz models respond well to 1 twist of the throttle right before kicking (once only). Always turn off the fuel at the tank and let it run out of gas or at least drain part of the bowl. Try changing the plug, never let anyone touch your bike especially the throttle. Run good quality gas, not necessarily race gas but a good gas that you know causes no problems. When I ran a compression release, I would always pull it in and kick it thru 4-5 times before even trying to start it, no reason it just seemed to always work. My bike always starts on the second kick! Most times the first. ? It takes a while to get it down, it will be worth it, keep trying.

what works for me (I am on a XR600, so I know how you feel) is I get way up and kick down as hard as I can and as fast as I can, every bikeis unique, all you need is to learn the technique to starting it. -Matt

You're going to get 100 different starting drills and special steps to take, but here are the basics. If you kick it 10x and it does not start, put in a new spark plug (or clean up the old one). If it goes pop-pop-pop-poof and then won't start, put in a new spark plug. When it's cold most bikes require the choke. As said above, when it's hot then use the hot start. Once you get the hang of it, it will start every time.

i had the '02 426 and it was a great bike after you got the starting trick down. sounds like you got the kick seq down the only other thing was trying a couple times with choke off, a couple choke on, a couple with hot start pulled (even if bike wasn't hot)

Thanks guys I will try that out later today.I pulled the fork out last night to get the seals replaced.What is a DRD?

Right before I pulled them last night I tried again and with the comp. lever pulled in after about 5-6 kicks is seemed to try to start with it pulled in.So I kicked one more time and nothing.I think I will put a new plug in this thing also.I also drained the gas out seeing that it had been in the bike for about 4-5 months,but the only thing I had to put in the bike was VP C-16 from my racecar.I just put about a 1/2 gal in it and I going to put some 97 in it today.That 116 won't hurt it will it?

Cold is really the only time I have a problem. What works for me is to do the "drill," choke on. NO GAS NO HOW NO WAY!! And if it won't fire after a half-dozen kicks, I open the comression release and kick it through at least a dozen times. I wouldn't start changing plugs prior to cleaning the gas out with the compression release. I also did the blue wire mod, which really seemed to help, but it could be that I've just gotten more used to starting it.

The ideal sparkplug is an NGK IX Iridium plug, its what I use in my XR600 and the first time you ride with it, you notice an instant differance, even if the motor is way bogged down, the spark will keep it going. And get this, cold bike first thing in the morning, no choke, first kick its running. -Matt

When the bike is warm, use the HOT START! If you dont have a DRD one on the handlebards, get one. That is the only thing you are not doing here.

As above, he means the Dr D hot start. This moves your hot start control from the carb, up onto the handlebars. It doesn't make it any "easier" to start, but it does make it more convenient because you don't have to reach down to the carb to turn the hot start on and off.

Thanks for the tips guys.I put the forks back on the bike after work today and tried starting the bike.After an hour of killing my leg.I pulled the tank and put a new plug in and put the bike back together.Gave it two kicks a :Dbam it started.I was so happy and my wife started laughing at me because I was grinning from ear to ear. Understand I have been getting a lot of smarta$$ remarks from her ?. I have started it about 4 times now and going out for the first ride tomorrow morning.Well again thanks for the tips.

The 116 octane wont hurt, I run 110 always with no problems. Dont forget to always turn the fuel off when you are through riding and let it die when it runs out. It will keep you from having to change plugs. I havent changed a plug in over a year!

These bikes all seem to have a personality all their own when it comes to spark plugs. I never run my carb dry and don't foul plugs since I stopped using Mobil gas. Other people have other stories, guess you will have to learn your bike.

The one thing that will make my bike foul plugs, is starting it when it's cold, only letting it run for a brief time and then shutting it off. If you start it just to show your buddies, be sure you let it run until it's good and warm otherwise it might need a new plug next time. At least that's my experience. And instead of buying new plugs, just put the tube on the carb cleaner, close your eyes and give it a shot right down around the insulator. Dry it off, put it in and you should be good as new. ?

Well I took the bike out Sat. for about 7 hrs and never had a problem with starting.This was the first time I have been on a back in awhile and I figured it would take a long time to get back and feel right on it.Let me tell you after about 45min. to hour I was right up there in the front pack.Now I am happy I got the bike.

A clean carb makes for a happy 426. I cleaned mine weekend b4 last and now the bike starts first kick again......was taking 5 or 6 quick jabs to get it lit before the cleaning. It is a condition that just gets progressively worse little by little....or at least it was in my case.

And get this, cold bike first thing in the morning, no choke, first kick its running. -Matt

Shouldn't one use the choke if it is cold? I thought the purpose was to provide a richer mix which increased the lube, which in turn adds protection. No choke provides a leaner mix. Surely not a great idea if it is really cold due to oil viscosity?

Depending on the OAT and Altitude and the current jetting some bikes never (or almost never) have to have the choke pulled to start. A bike with the idle wheel turned up will sometimes not need the choke pulled.

Bonzai ?

Shouldn't one use the choke if it is cold? I thought the purpose was to provide a richer mix which increased the lube, which in turn adds protection. No choke provides a leaner mix. Surely not a great idea if it is really cold due to oil viscosity?

Ummmm. you might want to rethink this one...... ?