Replacement chain

I'm sure this has been discussed a thousand times before, but I only come here when I need help. So that I don't have to search the archives, can I get some recommendations for a stock replacement chain...Better/cheaper??? Mine has 5000 miles on it and has been regularly lubed with Honda's best chain lube and kept adjusted properly, but if you bend a kink in it, it will stay kinked. (when slack of course, not when under load)

I have a 01 XR650L with stock sprockets. thanks. dana

• 2 years later...

I pulled this thread out of the search archives, but my question is that with the masterlink chain, do you need to buy the $150 chain tool to smash the heads of the rivets on the masterlink? I think I'd rather remove the swingarm and get the endless chain, instead of getting the tool. I had a 520 110 link chain still in the package from a KDX 175 I had, that I threw on. I know when I replaced a strictly dirt bike chain I just clipped on the masterlink, but this is an 650L that is on the street and I don't want to risk the chain seperating. What are your thoughts? *edit* I think I am not going to use the KDX chain just because I am not sure if it is rated for a 650cc bike but, I am still curious about the cruching of the masterlink rivets. Thanks..

FYI the ERV2 has been replaced by the ERV3. The 3 has marginally better specs. There are still plenty of ERV2s out there though. I've got the 3 on my 650R and the 2 on track bike of mine. Like has allready been said--the best chain you can buy. Maybe not the best value, but a fair value considering their durability. Quality is second to none, IMO.

ETA: a masterlink doesn't require a rivet tool but a chain press is suggested/required. They don't cost much. I don't think the ERV2/3 series has an available a masterlink--only a rivet type link (although some masterlinks may work--but then the chain is only as strong as that non-ERV2/3 link).

'Course, you're not putting 115 horsepower thru that final drive. I've seen one masterlink failure in decades of riding. I do carry a spare link but it's more of a talisman than something I might need.

I just got a DID Xring chain and steel sprockets from a vendor in Utah off eBay. I hope to use a masterlink if I can when I change it.

Chip

I got a Pprimary Drive x-ring from Rocky Mountain as a replacement to the stock DID that went 15,000. It was starting to kink but wasn't that loose on the sprockets. I have about 2,500 miles on it with no complaints. It is a clip type master, and I think it was $45.00.

I got a Pprimary Drive x-ring from Rocky Mountain as a replacement to the stock DID that went 15,000. It was starting to kink but wasn't that loose on the sprockets. I have about 2,500 miles on it with no complaints. It is a clip type master, and I think it was $45.00.

I'm running the same chain. No complaints yet