Words for the Wise and not so inclined

Hey all just want to share something with you all.

Yesterday Sat 27th, my lil girls first bike was stollen, out of our garage at 7pm / 7:15pm.

My daughter was devistated, it took between 15 minutes of time the garage door was open and when we noticed it gone "15 Minutes"

I immediatly jumped in the truck to scour the hood, I figure if it was kids they would be pushing it since it had no chain on (Cleaning).

My Wife called 911 (we could not find the Hollister PD Number so 911 it was)

To our luck as we called the Hollister PD was in persuit of a truck carring a small red dirt bike. They picked the dude up at our housing exit when he shot out of a side street in front of the Hollister PD.

Well to make a short story a little longer, 1/2 hour later the bastard was stopped in Gilroy after Holl PD chased him to the boarder and Gilroy picked him up.

The Fool was on drugs crashed his "PARENTS" truck into a patrol car spinning the truck up a entrance to a 76 station and crashing head on into a car that was getting gas. The cops had to wrestle the guy out of the car.

The XR70 is beat up good since it was not tied down, it flew around the truck ending on the street.

Damage = Handle bars gone, front forks Possible bent, seat torn form mounts dont look damage, exhaust totally bent and crushed

Moral of the story is Keep the doors shut at all times. I live in a quite hood kids all over the place. I guess were not in kansas any more ?

[ April 28, 2002: Message edited by: EgoAhole ]

Originally posted by EgoAhole:

Moral of the story is Keep the doors shut at all times. I live in a quite hood kids all over the place. I guess were not in kansas any more ?

I know what you mean. We live in the peaceful country, pretty far off the main road and we always left our windows open, doors unlocked, hell I would leave my shop wide open and go to work in the morning. Since my 250F was stolen the first of this year we now live in fort knox, we lock everything tight as a drum, I have two locks on all the bikes and "I HATE IT" The other day I yelled at my son for leaving the side shop door open, after I thought about it later, I appologised to him later for yelling, it really isn't his fault we have to live like that because of theiving ass holes.

To make things really worse, the little theiving ******* that stole my bike has now moved back into mom & dads house (my neighbor)so we get to see him go back & forth in front of our house,,,talk about RAGE! because we know it's just a matter of time till he and his rotten freinds will hit us again.

That sucks. Im about as paranoid as it gets. I have locks and chains on everything. If they want my bike they're gonna have to take the stand and the workbench since they are chained together.

A few years ago two people ripped off my friends Banshee and Blaster. He has a small barn with a giant Master lock on it. They cut the lock, grabbed whatever tools they could cary and just fired the quads up and took off in opposit directions down the road. Ya they were quads but they were loaded with aftermarket stuff. They were worth about $7000 and insurance would only pay $3500 and would not cover the tools.

That really got me thinking but this one was a little closer to home:

My neighbor always has his garage door open. He usually closes it at night but forgot one day. He woke up the next morning and found that both tool boxes were gone along with every tool. It was all worth about $2000. Lucky for him he works for an insurance company. From what i was told he made a large profit.

Juts a note

If there is a funny side to this, (Did I say That)

My daighter wanted to bring the bike in the house last night :D and leave the dog out ?

After we said no she wanted to sleep outside with it :D

I spoke to the Cop that held the bike for me as I drove to Gilroy last night to get it back.

He told me this (XR70 & XR50) are the hottest stoling bikes in CA right now.

He lives in Hollister too just up the road in a nice area also. His neighbors have had two bikes in the past year stolen. He keeps his bikes under lock and chain, Guess what I am buying TODAY. No Not a Howitser

Glad to hear you got the bike back. When I used to live in Lodi. I had my mtn bike hanging at the front of the garage and while we were eating someone stole it. I glad it was insured.

About a year later I saw some kid riding a bike very similar to mine, just a different color. I was in my old Ranger truck and said "hey kid" and he rode over. I said what a "nice bike" and as soon as I did he bolted. I chased him around SE Lodi in my truck. I knew I could never catch him in my truck, since I could not get out and catch him with out hitting him (I didn't want to damage my bike and insurance already paid for the bike) but, it was fun to stay on his a$$, driving like a maniac. He must have thought I was nut's ?

Bill

I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. A FEW YEARS AGO I HAD MY YZ 125 FOR SALE. I GOT A CALL ON IT AND HE WANTED TO CHECK IT OUT. I GAVE HIM DIRECTIONS, BUT HE DIDNT SHOW. THAT NIGHT MY GARAGE GOT BROKEN INTO AND MY BIKE WAS GONE. INSURANCE SAID IT WAS NOT COVERED WHEN I THOUGHT IT WAS. THIS HAPPENED IN A SMALL TOWN IN NORTH EASTERN INDIANA. LOTS OF NEIGHBORS AND LIGHTS. I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT. I HOPE WHOEVER STOLE IT CRASHED IT AND WAS SEVERLY HURT!

Ok I just got the dam bike, and I would like to hold on to it for a little while, the wife called our home owners insurance and they stated it wasnt covered although its locked up in the garage. Is this normally the case ??

Do I need to get a normal auto insurance policy ??

Time to call AAA and get the bad news.

I get so pissed off when I hear stories like this ?

When I was in the Army, I had a bike stolen from the back of my truck. And yes, it was chained down. Well, these thieves were sneaky. After I alerted the authorities about the theft and what to look for, it didn't take long to get some suspects. They knew they were in trouble, so they turned the tables onto me! They claimed that I paid them to steal it, and was trying to collect insurance on it! So for nearly a year, I, I repeat, I, was the prime suspect!!! Finally in the end, it was straightened out, and I was cleared of all accusations. Scared the **** out of me! Like the line from the "Hill Street Blues" "Be careful out there!"

Hey guys, Keep them locked up good. I blew it last night and fell asleep with my garage door open!! I was in a panick this morning when I saw that, but thankfully everything was still there. My bad though. When I was young my dads KTM was stolen and thanks to the theif being an IDIOT we got it back. Seems he was bright enough to go to school the next monday and brag about the sweet KTM 400 he had (this was 20 years ago, and there weren't too many 78 KTM 400's around with Simons forks, magnesium hubs, and Ohlins shocks. I actualy miss that old beast).

Check with State Farm for your home owners/renters insurance. Our home owners insurance covered me when I was hit by a car on my bicycle (don't ask! lol). We were amazed, but not about to question it!.

Good luck all. Good thing you at least got it back Ego.

Just got the estimate for repair on My daughters XR

$440.54 to replace all the broken and damaged parts

So the lil bastards steals the bike, literaly destroys the thing, and walks away no responcibilty. Gad I love the American Way of life. Now I have to fight with his parents insurance company (That is if they have them) found out they are illegal alians. And it gets better.

Boarder, language culture is all I have to say.... ?

Guys,

Sorry to hear you're all finding out the hard way that dirt bikes are NOT covered on a homeowners policy. You MUST get a separate policy for EACH motorized vehicle! I have four bikes and three minibikes and they all have their own policy. It's cheap too. My 426 costs about $60 a year for fire and theft. I suggest you do the same.

-Tom

When I was in high school I lived with a family friend who was nice enough to take me to his ranch and let me ride his quad. I had a blast on it and when the day was done, I insisted on driving it into the back of the truck like I had seen him do before. Well, I basically gave it too much gas and plowed right into the front of the bed/cab wall. I dented his new Toyota 4x4 pretty good, but he didn't yell at me or anything despite the obvious anger built up inside him.

Well, about 2 months later his quad was stolen out of his garage. About 4 more months went by and he was pretty miserable about it.

A local problem child began to brag about this quad his uncle bought him. I just followed the crowd of anxious kids wanted to ride the quad. When I peaked over the fence, there it was, my friend's quad. I never went so fast on my mountain bike in my life. I banged on the door of this night shift worker, told I found his quad and that he better hurry because they were starting it up. I threw my mountain bike in the back of his truck and he came out the front door carrying his Colt 45 in his underwear.

He gave me a good show in his 4x4 sliding around every turn in the neighborhood, and even drove the truck up on the kids lawn over the curb. The neighborhood Constable was at the near by park and rushed over to see what was going on.

My friend got his quad back, the kid got time in juvenille hall, and my denting his truck was finally forgiven verbally.

ben

Originally posted by armourbl:

When I was in high school I lived with a family friend who was nice enough to take me to his ranch and let me ride his quad. I had a blast on it and when the day was done, I insisted on driving it into the back of the truck like I had seen him do before. Well, I basically gave it too much gas and plowed right into the front of the bed/cab wall. I dented his new Toyota 4x4 pretty good, but he didn't yell at me or anything despite the obvious anger built up inside him.

Well, about 2 months later his quad was stolen out of his garage. About 4 more months went by and he was pretty miserable about it.

A local problem child began to brag about this quad his uncle bought him. I just followed the crowd of anxious kids wanted to ride the quad. When I peaked over the fence, there it was, my friend's quad. I never went so fast on my mountain bike in my life. I banged on the door of this night shift worker, told I found his quad and that he better hurry because they were starting it up. I threw my mountain bike in the back of his truck and he came out the front door carrying his Colt 45 in his underwear.

He gave me a good show in his 4x4 sliding around every turn in the neighborhood, and even drove the truck up on the kids lawn over the curb. The neighborhood Constable was at the near by park and rushed over to see what was going on.

My friend got his quad back, the kid got time in juvenille hall, and my denting his truck was finally forgiven verbally.

ben

Now that was really cool,,,"HIGH FIVE" ?

Originally posted by imoto344:

I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. A FEW YEARS AGO I HAD MY YZ 125 FOR SALE. I GOT A CALL ON IT AND HE WANTED TO CHECK IT OUT. I GAVE HIM DIRECTIONS, BUT HE DIDNT SHOW. THAT NIGHT MY GARAGE GOT BROKEN INTO AND MY BIKE WAS GONE. !

This has happened quite a lot all over the country. I am VERY cautious around my house as the kids in the hood are growing up a little and I notice a lot of them spying @ the toys in my garage. As for selling bikes I NEVER have people come to the house, I always arrange a meeting place.

Originally posted by RichB:

As for selling bikes I NEVER have people come to the house, I always arrange a meeting place.

Excellent suggestion.

Also,

Everyone should know exactly what is covered by their homeowner's insurance policy. Mine (Nationwide) will cover the bikes only if they are stolen from my home. I bought a policy with Progressive to cover theft, fire, and even liability for less than $80/year per bike. Check into it now! Don't delay, because sooner or later you are going to get burned.

man, i'll leave my 520 sitting out in the front, and rear lawns any time, until midnight sometimes. I leave my keys in my mustang too....my CBR has been sitting in the driveway until midnight sometimes too. I gotta stop that, it's gonna bite me.

Sorry to hear about what happened.

Figures though, let in some drugged up foreign family who can't speak the language. sounds like america.

No offense to anyone PLEASE!!!