HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RUTHLESSROOSTER

Painting the Frame

10 posts in this topic

Has anyone painted their own frame? I painted my KX250 frame black with spraypaint and it came out looking rather good. With my YZ over next winter I want to sandblast the frame and have it painted, I want a really nice job,how much do you think it will run me and should I get it powdercoated or what?

Ruthless,

I tried to paint mine, but decided that powder-coating was the best option. I went to Embee in Santa Ana, CA. www.embee.com

It was $150 for the frame and sub-frame on my YZ400 and they have about 150 colors to choose from. Team Yamaha takes their frames there, too! I pick mine up on Monday!

On my old XR I tried painting the frame myself, but the paint chipped away easily, I then got it powdercoated which looked great and was very tough. It cost me about $100 Aus, well worth it.

Just had mine done for $130, thats glass beaded, degreased, powder coated and clear coated. Should hold up nice, it is a silver color with black veins all through it.

Hitman

Ruthless,

The place I took mine to, Embee, does everything to prep it. All I had to do was drop off the frame and sub-frame.

Powder coating is WAY stronger than paint. It will still chip, but you really have to hammer it compared to factory paint jobs.

Damn! Something else for me to spend money on. Can you guys post some pictures? Would love to see what you have done.

Hey thump did you have your pipe ceramic coated too? Embee did my pipe, it turned out bitchen. I can't believe how tough that stuff is. I figured it would chip in front where it takes roost, but there isnt a mark on it!