Hey TT'ers!

• Experts

Hi everyone! I'm Gary Semics and I'm happy to join TT by hosting my own forum. Most of you probably already know me, but for those of you who don't, I have raced motocross since 1968. After I turned pro in 1971, I raced for a living for 14 years straight, riding for CZ, Husqvarna, Kawasaki, Can-Am, Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki.

In 1974, I won the 500cc Super Cross Championship for Husqvarna. I have also won several Nationals and placed both 2nd and 3rd in the AMA 500 National Series in 1976 and 1979. In 1977, I raced as a member of the U.S. team in the Motocross and Trophy Des Nations that were held in France and Holland. In 1982, I began racing in the 500cc World Championship Grand Prix. My best year was 1982 when I placed 7th in the 500cc series. In 1996, I was inducted into Motocross Action Magazine's Hall of Fame.

In 1985, I began my motocross school. In the years since, through my motocross schools and technique videos, I've trained just under 500,000 riders (yes, that's half a million)! Besides the masses, I have trained some of the top riders in the sport. The one you've probably heard the most about is Jeremy McGrath. I was Jeremy's personal trainer for most of his career. I have also trained Brock Sellards, Steve Lamson, Ezra Lusk, Kevin Windham, Stephane Roncada, John Dowd, Ernesto Fonseca, Brian Swink, Mike Brown, Kyle Lewis, Jiri Dostal, and Branden Jesseman. I've also trained off-road heroes, including Fred Andrews, Chuck Woodford and Rich Lafferty. In order to reach all you MX enthusiasts, I produced the "Gary Semics Motocross Techniques" Video Series.

I'm really thankful to TT for giving me this opportunity to communicate with its members through this forum. I plan to answer many of the popular questions that you will post and bring up some interesting topics myself. I feel confident that I have a lot of knowledge to share with you in order to make your riding and racing much more fun and rewarding.

These days, at 49 years young, I still love riding and I feel the need to get my fix at least once a week; more often when I can. I don't have the time to race much anymore, but still manage to get a few selected races in when I can. But, I think I'm racing every time I get on the bike. I've always challenged myself to ride as fast and as good as possible every time I practice or race. It was great to have had the chance to race as long as I did; back then that was my main priority in life.

It was a big and difficult adjustment going from racing to being a business man, but I knew sooner or later it had to happen. Now much of my time is spent in the office. Of course, I still teach group classes for beginner and intermediate riders, and private and semi-private classes for pro riders. I train selected riders on a yearly base. This year I've been training Ezra Lusk. I do all my own bike maintenance and keep in shape by training almost everyday with the new motocross training programs that I keep developing and testing. It's not that I get tired or burned out on what I've been doing for so long, it's just that there is not enough time to do it all. When one finds their passion, as I have with motocross, you just do it for the love of doing it. I know that I'm really fortunate that the sport of motocross has continued to grow over the years that I've been in it. I hope that I can continue to help riders and the sport in general to continue growing.

I'm looking forward to a long successful relationship with TT. I thank all of you for being a part of this great sport.

Yours truly,

Gary Semics

• Like 2

welcome gary its a real pleasure to have you aboard.

im sure i will have more and more questions to come, ive raced mx for about 4 years now and am going to race intermediate this year!

i cant get out riding yet because of snow but when things warm up ill start to annoy you more :grin:

PLR :canuck:

GREAT!! OK, so where do we start? How about the 'rhythm section'? I see a lot of racers get out of control and crash out in the rhythm section even more than the jumps. What advice would you give to a beginner who is a little intimidated by the rhythm section? Thanks LB

(oh I'll post my question)

Gary, you have made my newbie six months a safer and passionate learning experience. I have your book and 3 of your DVD's. I love the simplicity of your instructions and the guys here at TT have helped me too.

Want question number one? and Hey Guys we have to chip in here as I'm sure GS ain't got time for all our stuff SO anyone here at TT feel free to advise me on this. This will be a twist actually, it's not turns, its not jumps, it's straight wide easy trails, well maybe not perfect there are some small rocks and bumps, but I GO too SLOW I allways fall behind my buddies in the straights. they go 35+ & I go 23-27mph

I dont feel safe at speed, I feel like the front end is gonna take one small weed wrong and I'm toast. I think I am only scared , But maybe its technique, maybe I can learn to go fast in the straights?

Gary you da man, Your turning DVD and book has my balls on the tank, elbows up, weight on outside peg, brake in accelerate out of turns all that its great stuff... I really have improved my turns and want to one day to rail them I feel I can get there one day

but to go fast in the straights??? What is the key things for that?

-BigBob, your # 1 newbie fan

Welcome Gary,

I feel a kindred spirit with you as we are the same age and have no doubt ridden some of the same old school bikes. I was never as fast as you were, but am no doubt much better looking. ? :grin:

So you want to answer some questions....How about: How do you teach old guys to jump? Safely. I pass people in the turns, down the straights only to get repassed rolling over all but the easiest jumps. Solve that problem and I will drive to Ohio and buy you a gatorade or beer. Your choice.

Thanks,

DG

welcome to TT Gary i just discovered your website the other day from an old a dirt rider magazine the article was called "Mcgrath's speed secrets how Gary Semics makes the champ faster". Anyway i mostly ride alone and have taught myself so hopefully your wisdom can help cure my poor stlye and bad habits ?

Welcome I guess my qts are: when are your classes scheduled in the Northeastern part of Ohio, and how much do they cost for someone interested in going faster from an intermediate level. I guess faster really relates to being smoother, I need help with track tech. stuff give us your schedual. I thought it would be a great treat for myself this year: can't make me worse only better. ?