MY2000 suspension question

Hey all, I have a model year 2000 drz400s that sits very low, the rear especially. It looks like all 2000s do from what google shows me. Why is this? I know so little has changed over the years and suspension is one of the things that actually has. Is the rear shock shorter? Linkage different? Anyone know?? I'd like to get the rear up to "modern" or "normal" height, the front I'm ditching for an SM front anyway.  All searches I've done return only how to install lowering links to adjust height which obviously doesn't apply... Thanks!

IMG_3230.JPG

Yours should still have the same 11.6 inches of rear suspension travel as the 2017 S model. Maybe it already has lowering Links?  Or someone internally shortened the Shock?

You will have to compare them to another stock S.

Is your bike an s or an sm? It was my understanding that the sm is lower from the factory. Your front fork looks like mine, indicationg it might be an s, but it is possible it was lowered with sm links

Mine's an S, maybe it does have SM links, but according to my reading the SM shock itself is slightly different from and S accounting for the ~16mm ride height difference. I believe the linkage is the saw across all models... anyone confirm or deny this?

Here is a good read on the rear suspension. 

4 hours ago, 74jimbo said:

Is your bike an s or an sm? 

Easiest way to tell is the forks.

2 hours ago, 406 said:

Mine's an S, maybe it does have SM links, but according to my reading the SM shock itself is slightly different from and S accounting for the ~16mm ride height difference. I believe the linkage is the saw across all models... anyone confirm or deny this?

The wheel size difference is probably a larger factor in seat height

if the links are stock the spring retainer is likely winded out ... when you jack the bike if the rear drops about 6 inches you need to tighten up on the adjuster .. those pics you showed of lowered S's are not stock, you need to be about 6'8" tall to flat foot a stock 2000 S ...

Edited by cowpie
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, cowpie said:

if the links are stock the spring retainer is likely winded out ... when you jack the bike if the rear drops about 6 inches you need to tighten up on the adjuster .. those pics you showed of lowered S's are not stock, you need to be about 6'8" tall to flat foot a stock 2000 S ...

Or be 6'2 with abnormally long legs and arms..

• Like 1

Hmm I guess I can't confirm that 2000s isn't lowered itself. When my bike is on a stand or I unload the rear suspension I get very minimal axle droop, maybe and inch, less than 2" for sure... it doesn't look like there's a lot of preload on the shock but that doesn't appear to be the limiting factor. 

Ok update. I just put my very expensive SM front end on and happen to notice the SM forks are literally 2" longer than the S forks they replaced! That doesn't sound right!!! What is going on here? Was my bike lowered? I think I need some measurements to figure this out. I don't want to spend another couple hundred on new linkage and a rear shock until I know what the culprit is... Does anyone have a relatively stock 2000 S model that can help me out? Help!

I just measured my rear shock on the bike, on a stand and got an eye to eye measurement of ~428mm. Can anyone compare this to a bike at home? I read a thread that said the shock on an S should be ~458mm. Is this it or is my on the bike measurement missing something? Attached is a pic of my current chopper ☹️

IMG_3348.JPG

Here's how my '01 sits with the dirt wheels on. It also has the factory SM swingarm, but that didn't change how it sits. It isn't lowered or modified. I also added a 2002+ rear shock for the extra shock settings and pulled my stock S spring off the original. I have the sag set roughly for my weight of 190lbs. I am 5'11 and it is a stretch to flat foot it, more like half foot it! Hope that helps

DSC_6258.JPG

DSC_6261.JPG

DSC_6263.JPG

Thanks for all the help guys, and that's a clean bike! I'd like to do the SM swingarm too but got to get to the bottom of this first. Your '01 is clearly a few inches taller than mine... I'm hoping we've figured it out. Thanks bucket list, eagerly awaiting your numbers!

• Like 1

You mentioned your lowering links have "Suzuki cast into them"

Could these be aftermarket lowering links? While the oem links may have ID numbers stamped on them I don't think I have ever seen oem drz links marked "Suzuki".

5 hours ago, 406 said:

Thanks for all the help guys, and that's a clean bike! I'd like to do the SM swingarm too but got to get to the bottom of this first. Your '01 is clearly a few inches taller than mine... I'm hoping we've figured it out. Thanks bucket list, eagerly awaiting your numbers!

That number you read was right, mines also at 458mm. I'm sure the SM shock is a bit shorter, but no way will it be 30mm shorter. The ratio of wheel travel to shock travel is about 3 to 1 , so the SM shock may be 8-10mm shorter. Are you comfortable with disassembling  the rear Shock?  It's just a case of adjusting the thickness of the spacer under the top out bumper.