Johnny Depp

Rodney Smith Promoted to Race Team Manager for Beta

33 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, Sierra_rider said:

This is kinda where we disagree. I wouldn't argue that Beta needs a totally new model, just align the current race edition more into an actual "racing" model. Keep the same basic platform with the CC forks, but get rid of the lights, computer, and miles of wiring. Basically the Beta version of a Ktm XC(which sell like hotcakes around here.) I don't think it's really about buying a bike with "less" ...if that was the case, all bikes would come with luggage bags, grip heaters, windscreens, etc. Fact is that there is a growing segment of the riding population that want stripped down cross-country bikes, that didn't really exist a few years ago. Back then, the only xc bikes were KTM's and they didn't didn't even offer them in every displacement. Now, Ktm is actually dropping some of the enduro bikes and the other manufacturers are having success with their own xc bikes.

Yea we can agree to disagree. I just came from the other way is all. I had a 2 stroke mx bike and was paying money to try to make it like how a Beta comes stock...getting a stator for a head light.. buying a kick stand..putting on an 18" rear wheel.. never getting an estart or a 6th gear though...  The other thing is that the little amount of weight doesn't make a difference or so little difference to me in performance . It's totally a non factor ..and that is personal preference . I'm not going faster or slower because I'll take off my lights and wiring . Maybe I also think this moreso because I have also raced my Beta 525 RS in local hare scrambles and enduro and still enjoyed racing it . it's a huge difference in weight from my 300 rr or 250 cr but that bike handles well and is easy to ride. Honestly I don't think I go much if any slower.. except if i have to get off my bike and muscle.. That's the risk you take as you don't know what kind of course or if the weather will change.. if it turns into an extreme enduro the 300 is a huge advantage.  I did well considering it's a big street legal 500 in past races. ...and that bike actually does have a luggage rack on it..:smirk: I'd race it if my cr was down or just felt like racing it for fun instead. it's great to pass a guy and hit the horn and have a luggage rack..

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

8 hours ago, YHGEORGE said:

You is you HDR, us is us.

..US ???

I thought you'd finally break down and buy a Beta..:thumbsup:  

What ya gettin?

Actually with BYOB everyone can get their bike customade..Set up. with any Beta set up exactly how they want. Just order like an xc like other brands.

1 hour ago, YHGEORGE said:

I've pretty much narrowed it down to a Beta, GG, Yam, Hooska, Honda.

There have been at least 3 threads on Honda's at VitalMX about catastrophic engine failure, clutch plates coming apart, idler gear riding on a CAST shaft coming loose from the cases. Several photos of Yamaha frames splitting with low hours. GG has a worse dealer network than the others and unproven. There narrowed it down for us.:rolleyes:

Edited by Johnny Depp
1 person likes this

54 minutes ago, YHGEORGE said:

I've pretty much narrowed it down to a Beta, GG, Yam, Hooska, Honda.

You could just improve what you have.. I put a 20mm offsett triple clamp on my 01 cr and it improved turning plus an eric gorr 265  or 300 top end.. or get a 3rd generation cr and throw your 01 motor in that...Not as easy as just buying a new bike..or new used.

15 minutes ago, YHGEORGE said:

Next bike will be my last bike, new is the only option.

&%$#@!  how many times have I heard that from friends. There's no rules.. 

Aren't we in the Rodney Smith thread? .. what is he mid 50's?

Press Release

For Immediate Release

Paso Robles, California

Beta USA's Race team coach showed up at the Glen Helen Two Stroke World Championships and scored the overall win in the over 50 class. Max Gerston used the event as a warm up for the upcoming EnduroX season and showed he also has the speed finishing 13th after two motos in a stacked field.  

7aa928e4-6924-4b3f-86a2-cbf5b44ad5f9.jpg

5-Time GNCC Champ Rodney Smith at Glen Helen. (photo by Kinney Jones)

Smith explains, "I had a great weekend hanging out with my team Beta riders Max Gerston, Ty Collins & Morgan Tanke !!! Had so much fun they talked me in to racing where I ended up having a great battle with Andy Jefferson & Pete Murray! But it felt great to bring home the win on my Beta 300 RR!" 

On 6/23/2017 at 0:19 PM, ccullins said:

Russel has switched between a 350 and 450. Last I heard it was 450 for GNCC and 350 for National Enduro. 

Stewart Baylor runs a YZ 450. Not sure about the other guys. All those KTM/Husky's look the same to me😂 

Jordan used to race a 350, but since the Beta 350 is so, um, "rideable" he went with the bigger bike. First a 390 then settled on the 430. 

Kailub russel rides a ktm 250xcf, Russell Bobbiy is on a 250xcf as well.  Steward baylor rides Ktm not sure what model, maybe you were thinking of Grant Baylor, he was on a yz450.  

22 minutes ago, kbro45 said:

Kailub russel rides a ktm 250xcf, Russell Bobbiy is on a 250xcf as well.  Steward baylor rides Ktm not sure what model, maybe you were thinking of Grant Baylor, he was on a yz450.  

Champion 2013 350 xcf http://www.pulpmx.com/stories/scott-motorsports-15-minutes-20-seconds-kailub-russell

Champion 2014 http://www.dirtrider.com/features/kailub-russell-tko-ktm-300-xc

Champion 2015 http://www.dirtrider.com/features/russell-bobbitt-2015-ktm-350-xcf

Champion 2016 http://www.dirtrider.com/kailub-russells-ktm-350-xc-f-factory-bike-friday

2017 http://dirtbikemagazine.com/friday-wrap-up-kailub-russells-ktm-250xcf/

Hard to keep track of for sure.