Johnny Depp

Rodney Smith Promoted to Race Team Manager for Beta

33 posts in this topic

http://betausa.com/content/rodney-smith-promoted-race-team-manager

It's Happening! "Rodney Smith will also play a role in the development of future Beta products."

 

rodney.JPG

As far as I know Rodney was with Suzuki his entire career. Moving over to Beta he must have been a bit cautious. Now after riding them...

Edited by Johnny Depp
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beta isn't afraid of making personnel changes, and is likely looking for more success in it's racing endeavors than it has enjoyed since Webb went orange.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So Beta had Zach Huberty as race team manager if I remember right.. and he's like 23 yrs old. I'm sure he's ok but..he's 23 yrs old.. I don't think it was a hard decision to have R. Smith move up .. That's an experienced guy.. Maybe they both were sort of feeling each other out on how things roll with Beta... I was kind of thinking that Huberty was young when they hired him.. but hey maybe he's good. I'm sure that's a lot on his plate to be team manager. Actually I'm wondering really what are the full duties of "Team manager"?  I mean that could vary very much from team to team. I'm wondering where Huberty is now.. still with Beta? different role? going somewhere else??

http://www.betausa.com/content/beta-adds-zack-huberty-team

1157.jpg

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is probably the biggest move forward by far for Beta regarding the race team and development of the bikes. Smith has an international record of excellence and the experience and maturity Beta has not had here in the US. I would expect to see a true XC type model soon without all the extra junk no real offroad racer needs. And I would bet three nickels and a glazed donut suspension advancements are a big part of that. Following his career led me to his susp and engine guru many years ago who showed me what truly great susp could do for a rider. I'm expecting great things from this and hopefully it will be sooner rather than later.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, YHGEORGE said:

This is probably the biggest move forward by far for Beta regarding the race team and development of the bikes. Smith has an international record of excellence and the experience and maturity Beta has not had here in the US. I would expect to see a true XC type model soon without all the extra junk no real offroad racer needs. And I would bet three nickels and a glazed donut suspension advancements are a big part of that. Following his career led me to his susp and engine guru many years ago who showed me what truly great susp could do for a rider. I'm expecting great things from this and hopefully it will be sooner rather than later.

And Jordan Ashburn gets his 1st Pro win, coincidence?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

So Beta had Zach Huberty as race team manager if I remember right.. and he's like 23 yrs old. I'm sure he's ok but..he's 23 yrs old.. I don't think it was a hard decision to have R. Smith move up .. That's an experienced guy.. Maybe they both were sort of feeling each other out on how things roll with Beta... I was kind of thinking that Huberty was young when they hired him.. but hey maybe he's good. I'm sure that's a lot on his plate to be team manager. Actually I'm wondering really what are the full duties of "Team manager"?  I mean that could vary very much from team to team. I'm wondering where Huberty is now.. still with Beta? different role? going somewhere else??

http://www.betausa.com/content/beta-adds-zack-huberty-team

1157.jpg

Zach always seemed like more of a mechanic and truck driver to me. I don't know jack about him so that isn't really fair. I suspect he was also a talent scout for the east coast. Rodney will draw talent to the team, the chance to work with someone with his experience and Beta's recent EnduroGP success will open some doors. Beta is obviously deadly serious about the World Championship, and it's great to see the focus on the US series sharpening. Rodney is fully capable of both MX and GNCC style disciplines and I expect this change is a part of the future lineup of more XC oriented machines in the pipeline. I do think someone knows how to translate Thumpertalk in Italy:cool:

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

Zach always seemed like more of a mechanic and truck driver to me. I don't know jack about him so that isn't really fair. I suspect he was also a talent scout for the east coast. Rodney will draw talent to the team, the chance to work with someone with his experience and Beta's recent EnduroGP success will open some doors. Beta is obviously deadly serious about the World Championship, and it's great to see the focus on the US series sharpening. Rodney is fully capable of both MX and GNCC style disciplines and I expect this change is a part of the future lineup of more XC oriented machines in the pipeline. I do think someone knows how to translate Thumpertalk in Italy:cool:

It will be good.. it's great now.. I'm amazed at how a tiny company has so many great riders. I'd never think that but Beta is super successful. What I think is more along the lines of instead of Thumpertalk being translated in italy.... that thumpertalk needs to learn italian to understand what's happening in Italy and europe  to also get a better overall view  ...  

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/20/2017 at 0:56 PM, Johnny Depp said:

Zach always seemed like more of a mechanic and truck driver to me. I don't know jack about him so that isn't really fair. I suspect he was also a talent scout for the east coast. Rodney will draw talent to the team, the chance to work with someone with his experience and Beta's recent EnduroGP success will open some doors. Beta is obviously deadly serious about the World Championship, and it's great to see the focus on the US series sharpening. Rodney is fully capable of both MX and GNCC style disciplines and I expect this change is a part of the future lineup of more XC oriented machines in the pipeline. I do think someone knows how to translate Thumpertalk in Italy:cool:

 

Sherco 2018 lineup will feature Cross country models. No lights, MX style closed cartridge spring forks, MX rear tire...

Looks like you need a sherco :ride:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly for the guys that want a straight stripped down cross country mx sort of  bike. .. I think guys should just buy any mx bike and put a big tank if a stripped down version is higher on the priority list... if that. To me for those fast mx hare scramble type racing an mx bike is already light weight.. no need to even have a skid plate.. just hand guards and go ..maybe soften the suspension a bit... maybe a flywheel weight??? maybe not even that....maybe a bigger tank?  Or with Beta just take off the lights and put a front numberplate that comes with the bike..and go. .. I like my Beta for a wide variety of riding disciplines.. but if it were only for closed course fast and open stuff .. Beta isn't necessarily needed.. Just buy any mx bike and the need is filled.  Beta did have a cross country/mx bike .. it wasn't a hit. It looked cool.. but the first thing I thought was after seeing it was..... "I don't want a 19" rear wheel...I rather have the headlight... that's still just my bike but with less ".... who's going to buy this? I still think it's lame to buy a bike with less.. there was no demand the last time the cross country came out. .. If Aubert and Salvini and Pol Tarres can rip on a Beta pretty much the same weight and with the same basic features as any stock Beta with lights front and back???.. blah blah blah... I still don't see how that is the right direction for Beta. Why should Beta go the mx route and eliminate where Beta excells.. enduro ??? I spent my money on my prior mx modded to enduro 2 stroke bike trying to make it how Beta has their bikes come stock from the factory.

Where is there more xc mx changes in the lineup for the future ? Where is it really needed?.. It's already shown that the bikes are capable and have won in the past in a pretty wide  variety of racing..

Rodney Smith is a nice addition to the Beta race team though.

  

 

 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know I've never seen the xross country Beta 450 in real life.. I've rarely heard of any that bought one.. or heard of anyone owning except maybe one or 2 might have come on threads saying they owned one.. I really wonder how many were even produced and what the dialogue was with Beta and what their thoughts were.. All I know is it was announced.. then  no one ever mentioned them again.. I think some mentioned something about the  linkage being a tiny bit different to the rest of the Beta rr and rs.. had a thinner base gasket and a 19" rear wheel.. the race edition cc forks and no lights.. Here's one of maybe 2 vids I've seen that I've even seen one  being ridden.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, OscarFox said:

 

Sherco 2018 lineup will feature Cross country models. No lights, MX style closed cartridge spring forks, MX rear tire...

Looks like you need a sherco :ride:

I didn't know that, they slipped it in under the radar. It looks like the bike was shown in 2015 EICMA show intended for 2016 but never released until last month as a 2017.5 and jazzed up with Akrapovic. Early reviews are great. Not released in the 450 for some reason so far? http://shercooffroad.com/motorcycles/2017-sherco-cross-country/

 

Beta already has no problem with bike development in Europe as Holcombe's results show, I'm guessing Rodney's input would be for a US? off road racer/MX model. Minor tweaking is all that's needed, and with Honda/Yamaha/KTM selling more XC type machines than MX or enduro this is the direction the market is going, especially if you can easily add lights and not have to put up with subpar OEM junk. Patience Grasshopper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is anyone using a 450 in the GNCC/hare scrambles/national enduros? Out west I would understand but I don't think I've seen any of the top guys on anything bigger than a 350 out east?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, OscarFox said:

Is anyone using a 450 in the GNCC/hare scrambles/national enduros? Out west I would understand but I don't think I've seen any of the top guys on anything bigger than a 350 out east?

GNCC's and Sprint Full Gas are mostly 450's with the odd 350. Since these bikes are hybrids 450 are the norm in MX also. Hare Scrambles and Enduro are a bit of a 2nd rate series these days. Personally I feel Jordan should be on the 480, or at least try it out.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few things

Zack is no longer with the team at all. 

It does say Rodney will develop future Beta products. Not necessarily bikes. If a part is made and needs to be tested he's the best guy to try it, not the guy who's out racing. 

I wouldn't read Rodney coming in having anything to do with Beta making a "XC" version. If they finally do it would be more because Honda, Yamaha, KTM, Gas Gas and Sherco already are. 

This change actually happened a little while ago, it just got announced now. Not sure why the lag in time. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, OscarFox said:

Is anyone using a 450 in the GNCC/hare scrambles/national enduros? Out west I would understand but I don't think I've seen any of the top guys on anything bigger than a 350 out east?

Russel has switched between a 350 and 450. Last I heard it was 450 for GNCC and 350 for National Enduro. 

Stewart Baylor runs a YZ 450. Not sure about the other guys. All those KTM/Husky's look the same to me😂 

Jordan used to race a 350, but since the Beta 350 is so, um, "rideable" he went with the bigger bike. First a 390 then settled on the 430. 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Johnny Depp said:

GNCC's and Sprint Full Gas are mostly 450's with the odd 350. Since these bikes are hybrids 450 are the norm in MX also. Hare Scrambles and Enduro are a bit of a 2nd rate series these days. Personally I feel Jordan should be on the 480, or at least try it out.

 

26 minutes ago, ccullins said:

Russel has switched between a 350 and 450. Last I heard it was 450 for GNCC and 350 for National Enduro. 

Stewart Baylor runs a YZ 450. Not sure about the other guys. All those KTM/Husky's look the same to me😂 

Jordan used to race a 350, but since the Beta 350 is so, um, "rideable" he went with the bigger bike. First a 390 then settled on the 430. 

Duh, I knew Ashburn was on a 430:facepalm:. Didn't realize that most of the field was on 450's as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, ccullins said:

Russel has switched between a 350 and 450. Last I heard it was 450 for GNCC and 350 for National Enduro. 

Stewart Baylor runs a YZ 450. Not sure about the other guys. All those KTM/Husky's look the same to me😂 

Jordan used to race a 350, but since the Beta 350 is so, um, "rideable" he went with the bigger bike. First a 390 then settled on the 430. 

:lol: I saw what you did there! Now you have HDR working on another 500 word post.

Edited by YHGEORGE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not cullins...he just posts straight..not like some trash talkers on TT...and what is there to say about racing a 430. He races a 430.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Honestly for the guys that want a straight stripped down cross country mx sort of  bike. .. I think guys should just buy any mx bike and put a big tank if a stripped down version is higher on the priority list... if that. To me for those fast mx hare scramble type racing an mx bike is already light weight.. no need to even have a skid plate.. just hand guards and go ..maybe soften the suspension a bit... maybe a flywheel weight??? maybe not even that....maybe a bigger tank?  Or with Beta just take off the lights and put a front numberplate that comes with the bike..and go. .. I like my Beta for a wide variety of riding disciplines.. but if it were only for closed course fast and open stuff .. Beta isn't necessarily needed.. Just buy any mx bike and the need is filled.  Beta did have a cross country/mx bike .. it wasn't a hit. It looked cool.. but the first thing I thought was after seeing it was..... "I don't want a 19" rear wheel...I rather have the headlight... that's still just my bike but with less ".... who's going to buy this? I still think it's lame to buy a bike with less.. there was no demand the last time the cross country came out. .. If Aubert and Salvini and Pol Tarres can rip on a Beta pretty much the same weight and with the same basic features as any stock Beta with lights front and back???.. blah blah blah... I still don't see how that is the right direction for Beta. Why should Beta go the mx route and eliminate where Beta excells.. enduro ??? I spent my money on my prior mx modded to enduro 2 stroke bike trying to make it how Beta has their bikes come stock from the factory.

Where is there more xc mx changes in the lineup for the future ? Where is it really needed?.. It's already shown that the bikes are capable and have won in the past in a pretty wide  variety of racing..

Rodney Smith is a nice addition to the Beta race team though.

  

 

 

This is kinda where we disagree. I wouldn't argue that Beta needs a totally new model, just align the current race edition more into an actual "racing" model. Keep the same basic platform with the CC forks, but get rid of the lights, computer, and miles of wiring. Basically the Beta version of a Ktm XC(which sell like hotcakes around here.) I don't think it's really about buying a bike with "less" ...if that was the case, all bikes would come with luggage bags, grip heaters, windscreens, etc. Fact is that there is a growing segment of the riding population that want stripped down cross-country bikes, that didn't really exist a few years ago. Back then, the only xc bikes were KTM's and they didn't didn't even offer them in every displacement. Now, Ktm is actually dropping some of the enduro bikes and the other manufacturers are having success with their own xc bikes.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with: