Tire recommendation

Okay folks this will likely start some debate (which I hope).  I have a YZ250X that came with 110/100 18 Dunlap AT81's.  After about 15 hrs the tire is pretty worn.  I thought about reversing it but would like to replace.

I primarily ride in the woods on dirt/rock quad trails, mud wet in the bottoms dry and rocky the higher I go.  Getting to said trails by gravel roads. Sometimes but not often I'll head east to high desert with loamy rocky conditions.

What tire would you all recommend for all around riding? 

• Like 1

Okay folks this will likely start some debate (which I hope).  I have a YZ250X that came with 110/100 18 Dunlap AT81's.  After about 15 hrs the tire is pretty worn.  I thought about reversing it but would like to replace.
I primarily ride in the woods on dirt/rock quad trails, mud wet in the bottoms dry and rocky the higher I go.  Getting to said trails by gravel roads. Sometimes but not often I'll head east to high desert with loamy rocky conditions.
What tire would you all recommend for all around riding? 

i have a 2003 rm250 and i have the kenda Washougal sticky, i have them front and back and love them, i have ridden with them in every scenario you wrote and they gripped great

8 hours ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

LOL, anyone that has been here more than 5 minutes knows what I recommend. ?

Like him I run the kenda parker dt lol. I have the 110/90/19 on my yz and the 110/110/18 on my wr250r.

It works pretty good plus last well in rocks and on fire roads.

The maxxis desert it is also good for those conditions, it has a little less bite than the parker dt but last a bit longer. I find most tires bite fine on fire roads and in rocky terrain so I go with a tire that last well.

21 minutes ago, biglake said:

Like him I run the kenda parker dt lol. I have the 110/90/19 on my yz and the 110/110/18 on my wr250r.

It works pretty good plus last well in rocks and on fire roads.

The maxxis desert it is also good for those conditions, it has a little less bite than the parker dt but last a bit longer. I find most tires bite fine on fire roads and in rocky terrain so I go with a tire that last well.

And if you want a tire that you can also use on the track as well as varied terrain check out the Kenda Washougal 2. My youngest son has a set on his CRF450R and loves them.

I tend to pick my tires based on how much mud or fine silt/dust i expect.   Where i ride it is almost always muddy and slick in the woods, we get lots of rain but there are dry areas and always a good bit of rocks and rock fields if you want to find them.  I tend not to notice that much of a difference between tires in or on the rocks, they all perform fairly well and on the harder pack as well but when it gets muddy or deep silt build up i want a soft terrain tire for sure.

Because of this i have been getting tires that are better for mud vs hardpack.    Been really liking the IRC M5B.  The 140's are getting harder to find and more expensive as of lately though.  

On 6/20/2017 at 5:29 PM, Muffintop said:

Sedona 907hp has been awesome for me on the rear.

edit - the 907hp is awesome on the rear - wears well also.  Took a new one to moab, rode it in az, and in CO.  great tire. Hard to mount, but great tire. 

Has anyone used the Sedona 907HP FRONT?  It's a cheap set on motorcycle closeouts - 108 for both rear and front.  

I'm usually using Pirelli scorpion mx 90/100 21 - this one is listed at 80/100 21 - not sure if that makes much of a difference, most brands are a little different in sizing.  

Edited by driver3

9 hours ago, FITZI6_7 said:

I got a good deal on a Michelin starcross 5 medium. $65. Will give it a shot. Will look for a tire changer from Harbor Freight as I carve up my rims. Been a long time since I changed a tire.

Those tires work very well, if I was racing more I'd run one of those not the longer lasting ones I recommended above but they also cost almost twice what you paid up in Canada.

I installed a couple of them for my neighbors, I didn't find them overly soft in the carcass, I haven't seen the fronts tho, they're only running the rears.

I use a baha no pinch tire tool for my tire changes, it also keeps you from scratching up your rims.?