2018 Models Launch

9 hours ago, k4f5x0r said:

I've ridden nothing but four strokes my entire life, however once i got into more hardcore singletrack riding i always wanted to try a 300 two stroke.

I will never go back to four pokes for true off road riding.  A four stroke will never feel as agile to me.  The beta fit the bill because i'm short and need a street legal in NY.  PITA to legalize Pumpkins here.

I still prefer the four strokes for dualsporting hence my wr250X.

I like them both.. 2 and 4 but for different elements of riding..and sometimes I just feel like a 4 stroke sometimes..and 2 stroke other times.. for the truly harder core enduro riding 2 strokes win for me. It's just better torque off idle and the lightness.. but they both are great for different things.. somehow if I get out of shape on a hill.. on my 525 RS  I can get off the throttle a little and get back on it and somehow pull out still making it up some steep hills more than I'd think I could .. with the 2 stroke there's a little less recovery success there.. . ..and everyone has their own preferences. I think if I had to have only one bike it would be a 2 stroke.. but if it's going to be street legal.. I'm going 4 stroke all the way.. So I'm ill and just get at least one of each.. a 2 and 4 stroke.. and then I have even more.. I just can't keep up with maintenance it seems though.. or riding them all. I still want to ride my 82' 430 Husqvarna cr project that is also another project bike sitting in the background..  So now last week I took these young high school boys riding trail for the first time in some of our riding area.. They had 125's and 150.. so I got exposed a little to 125's helping them get through some trails.. damn when I went to pick them up they were so light!!! So now Beta has these nice 2 stroke enduro 125's.. Hey those look like fun!!! and Alex Salvini and Steve Holcolmbe riding them in vids sure make em look good and those aren's small guys!!! So what now.. get in serious debt buying more Beta 125 enduros!!! lol!!! I wont but I sure would like to ride one!!!

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, k4f5x0r said:

I've ridden nothing but four strokes my entire life, however once i got into more hardcore singletrack riding i always wanted to try a 300 two stroke.

I will never go back to four pokes for true off road riding.  A four stroke will never feel as agile to me.  The beta fit the bill because i'm short and need a street legal in NY.  PITA to legalize Pumpkins here.

I still prefer the four strokes for dualsporting hence my wr250X.

You're not riding the right 4t!

I noticed they haven't said anything about the Xtrainer yet. I wonder of that means one will be released with different suspension. You'd think that would 'have' to be a big seller. My wife has an XT and it's an absolute riot to ride in the slow stuff. At the Enduro Cross track the thing makes me feel like Graham Jarvis (or maybe I should say Tim Coleman since it's a Beta). IMO a Xtrainer with 'proper' suspension would be a pretty tough bike to pass up. I've ridden a 250RR (RE) for a day and was underwhelmed. But my wife's XT has made me 100% certain my next bike will be a 300cc 2 stroke (probably an '18 300R). The off idle torque is what has me sold.

• Like 1

I noticed they haven't said anything about the Xtrainer yet. I wonder of that means one will be released with different suspension. You'd think that would 'have' to be a big seller. My wife has an XT and it's an absolute riot to ride in the slow stuff. At the Enduro Cross track the thing makes me feel like Graham Jarvis (or maybe I should say Tim Coleman since it's a Beta). IMO a Xtrainer with 'proper' suspension would be a pretty tough bike to pass up. I've ridden a 250RR (RE) for a day and was underwhelmed. But my wife's XT has made me 100% certain my next bike will be a 300cc 2 stroke (probably an '18 300R). The off idle torque is what has me sold.

Underwhelmed by the 250rr... Get out of here ?. The 250rr is the secret bike that is overlooked. And I am not saying that just because I bought one!

• Like 5

Underwhelmed by the 250rr... Get out of here [emoji6]. The 250rr is the secret bike that is overlooked. And I am not saying that just because I bought one!

I 'really' wanted to like it because I could have got an absolute screaming deal on it, but I think the internet built the RR's up too much. So my expectations were quite high. I did like the bike, but it just needed that little bit more off the bottom (for the riding I do). It also didn't have the same shockingly light feel the XT has. The XT is only 11 odd pounds lighter but it sure feels like more. Especially compared to my FX. When I have to go down and get my wife's bike up a hill climb she can't do, it's bonkers how much lighter her XT feels than my FX.

If the 2018 RR's handle as light as the current XT they'll be a hell of a weapon.

13 hours ago, motoxgiant said:

Hey, here's something we all missed in the talk about weight savings - the new rad shrouds lack the diamond shape holes that have been there since 2013! That had to add back about 3 grams per side ?

So far I see black spokes and the seat color of red seems to be the old brighter shade while the rest is a darker red with no Beta logo. Also looks like a bigger curve to the under airbox mud flap to stop the rubbing on the swingarm. Maybe a sensor port on the header pipe? The Graphics now read B and 1/2 of a t then a little a. How hard is it to put your brand name all in one place. No wonder everyone asks "what kind of bike is that"?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Goatse said:

I 'really' wanted to like it because I could have got an absolute screaming deal on it, but I think the internet built the RR's up too much. So my expectations were quite high. I did like the bike, but it just needed that little bit more off the bottom (for the riding I do). It also didn't have the same shockingly light feel the XT has. The XT is only 11 odd pounds lighter but it sure feels like more. Especially compared to my FX. When I have to go down and get my wife's bike up a hill climb she can't do, it's bonkers how much lighter her XT feels than my FX.

If the 2018 RR's handle as light as the current XT they'll be a hell of a weapon.

I can get behind that man.  I do notice though that the 250RR feels lighter than its 300RR brother.  I haven't ridden an XT so i can't compare it to that.  The 250rr to me out climbs my FX by quite a big margin.  I loved my FX and it climbed most stuff really well for a 250F, but there is noticeably more grunt to at least my 250RR.  If it wasn't enough for you, i think the 300RR (or other brand 300) will be the ticket.  When i road my buddies 300rr last week and compared it to my 250RR, the increase in low end, off idle torque was quite noticeable.  I didn't expect it to be as noticeable.  Because i wasn't use to it, i almost flew off the trail a few times haha  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, J D R said:

im trying to decide between the 2018 beta 300 or a 2018 ktm 300 xcw

Make a list of positive and negatives of each bike..both overall are good...of course..both will need suspension set up for your weight .....I like 6 month warranty...lower seat height, I like off idle torque and hookup...it turns..What looks better..Beta handles..and Im coming from  honda..It has plenty power and good power..more than enough and useable power....ktm and husky and others are great too. ..get what you like but Id still go Beta..plus Beta is cheaper.. Then there is BYOB..you can custom order your bike if you like..have suspension for your weight for exc..  For me if Id go ktm..Id go husky..just looks way better.. I dont care for the taller seat height and the thin seat. I went Beta and got a better tall seat foam or leave stock lower seat height..I like that much better. ..but honestly all the 300 2t bikes are great. Beta has proved itself for me but buy what you like..If Id buy now Id get 300 race edition..and kicker if it doesnt have one.

32 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

What I really meant was that is the only place the KTM can hold a candle to the Beta. Erzberg etc.

You know.. in some ways KTM is better I think.. and in some ways I think Beta is better. I think some just don't like a smaller brand. I think it's good in Beta having the ability to adapt quicker to the customer in it's bike development for their target consumer... but KTM is proven to be successful. They have great bikes.. It's just my and maybe some others view that Beta are better for them. No way would I say that ktm can't hold a candle to Beta.. Actually I think in an Erzberg type setting the bikes are pretty close for that kind of race event.. That's a rider event with the bike being a factor but not the biggest factor.. notice almost all of the finishers are on 2 stroke e start 300's a couple of 250's maybe. There's been an evolution of bike choices for extreme events.. once in a while there will be a 4 stroke.. but it's a 2 stroke world for hard core extreme enduro. ..and look at how many ktm/husky bikes are on top.. and of course just look at how many ktm and husky are entered.. it's an overwhelming majority.. and ktm worked hard to be the dominating force in motorcycle offroad. It still doesn't mean it's the best. It's ok that there's room for Sherco, Gasgas, Beta , TM etc... It's great that we can have other flavors than vanilla . 

13 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

You know.. in some ways KTM is better I think.. and in some ways I think Beta is better. I think some just don't like a smaller brand. I think it's good in Beta having the ability to adapt quicker to the customer in it's bike development for their target consumer... but KTM is proven to be successful. They have great bikes.. It's just my and maybe some others view that Beta are better for them. No way would I say that ktm can't hold a candle to Beta.. Actually I think in an Erzberg type setting the bikes are pretty close for that kind of race event.. That's a rider event with the bike being a factor but not the biggest factor.. notice almost all of the finishers are on 2 stroke e start 300's a couple of 250's maybe. There's been an evolution of bike choices for extreme events.. once in a while there will be a 4 stroke.. but it's a 2 stroke world for hard core extreme enduro. ..and look at how many ktm/husky bikes are on top.. and of course just look at how many ktm and husky are entered.. it's an overwhelming majority.. and ktm worked hard to be the dominating force in motorcycle offroad. It still doesn't mean it's the best. It's ok that there's room for Sherco, Gasgas, Beta , TM etc... It's great that we can have other flavors than vanilla . 

All right then let's keep this thread off the tracks. At the moment ? I can talk cocky about Beta, since they took 1st and 2nd last year in the EnduroGP E3 class, which was owned by KTM for the last 10 years (300 2t's dominate it). Realize that KTM/Husky have probably 4 times (or more) the budget that Beta has to race enduro's, and the best rider's money can buy, and after fairly dominating the Enduro World Championships for the last decade, rolled out an ALL new model and FAILED to get a single Championship out of 3. AND they are currently leading the newly formed premier class. So yes, that is how I feel. Next year I might eat crow, but this year it is steak and lobster! Get me another bottle of champagne.

_86B2224.jpg

Edited by Johnny Depp
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Johnny Depp said:

All right then let's keep this thread off the tracks. At the moment ? I can talk cocky about Beta, since they took 1st and 2nd last year in the EnduroGP E3 class, which was owned by KTM for the last 10 years (300 2t's dominate it). Realize that KTM/Husky have probably 4 times (or more) the budget that Beta has to race enduro's, and the best rider's money can buy, and after fairly dominating the Enduro World Championships for the last decade, rolled out an ALL new model and FAILED to get a single Championship out of 3. AND they are currently leading the newly formed premier class. So yes, that is how I feel. Next year I might eat crow, but this year it is steak and lobster! Get me another bottle of champagne.

_86B2224.jpg

Ok.. lather in the red Beta foam .. I can see that.. . I'm just  sayen . .You're right KTM has a huge budget.. and there are a ton of ktm and husky out there.. by far outnumbering the rest of the competitors in sheer numbers. It's because ktm is great.. and sherco and tm, gasgas etc.. .. and yea Beta has incredible riders.. world champions.. Had 3 but it got too crowded.. Salvini, Holcolmbe and Aubert.. and the other riders are awesome too.  ..I guess all of this is gravy for me.. It's great to watch and follow. It's simple for me.. I don't really care that much.. but it's fun to see...... It's cool and all.. but I just like how Beta works just for me right now in the trails I ride.. I do like to look up and see how top beta riders are doing..and finding out that there are even more awesome riders riding Beta in  countries around the world... champions that I'd not heard of before..   Nice pic by the way.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

54 minutes ago, randysoo said:

Did I read that the 2018 RR 4 strokes get dual injectors but the RR-S do not?

Here's where it gets confusing. 

USA doesn't get standard RR fourstrokes. We only get the street legal RR-S versions. ( plus the RR Race Edtions)  Looks like our RR-S doesn't get the dual injection while the Euro RR has it. Like I had said earlier I believe this was a time constraint in getting the bikes street legal. I can't say that as a fact as why, just my belief. 

I would also be willing to bet the Race Edtions coming later will have the dual injection. 

Edited by ccullins
  • Like 1