2018 Models Launch

On 6/14/2017 at 1:16 PM, Casing-daily said:

Kick starters are for girls too scared of a little roll start ? 

Ya really don't need a kicker. Useless appendage...

Not with a recluse ladies

I have personally killed a battery trying to get a bike started and had a recluse in it. Guess what! we walked home! with as popular as the recluse is now a days I'm shocked now one brought that up

• Like 1

I have personally killed a battery trying to get a bike started and had a recluse in it. Guess what! we walked home! with as popular as the recluse is now a days I'm shocked now one brought that up

A little tip is if this happens again make sure you have the 4mm Allen key with you,you can wind the manual slave cylinder out and the clutch will return to normal and you can bump start it and use as a normal clutch
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Retromlc said:

A little tip is if this happens again make sure you have the 4mm Allen key with you,you can wind the manual slave cylinder out and the clutch will return to normal and you can bump start it and use as a normal clutch

I have heard of that before. although ive never tried it. Ill keep it in the old memory bank

Has anyone see whats happening for the 2018 xtrainer. I just made a deposit on a 17 for my wife and wondering if i should hold out

10 hours ago, motoxgiant said:

Supposedly (remember we're on Beta time) it's August for the 2Ts and September for the RR-s'.

Which translates to a day after the first snow for my area.....Xtrainer to be here in Sept., came in Nov.  Beta's clock is about 3 months slow.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2017 at 6:51 AM, daveuprite said:

Yes, if the new clutch really does solve any remaining clutch drag issues, then that is genuine progress.  I agree with Hawai that chasing every last gram of weight-loss is not necessarily the best course.  People also like a tough bike with sturdy components.  Most riders could save a kilo much cheaper by eating fewer burgers...

I love the white/red combo.  Good work, Beta.  I suppose 2019/20 will be the year of injected two strokes (following KTM), but the autolube 300RR is already a great thing.

I know the bikes are dedicated off roaders, and I love 'em, but it would be nice to see a more 'adventure' orientated 500RS, perhaps very slightly de-tuned for longer service intervals, with larger oil capacity, a longer-range tank, a beefy sub-frame for luggage etc.  Something with RTW leanings that does the job of the recent SWM bikes but with better off-road capability.  It would be a challenger for the CCM450 in a sector that is picking up sales these days.  Lots of adventure riders now realise that a BMW GS1200 is actually a terrible bike to take around the world, loaded to the sky, useless off-road and impossible to pick up.  A 500cc 130kg single cylinder which can truly go anywhere is what the long distance dirt-orientated explorers really want.  A modern day DR650...    

I very much agree that I don't care for this push for a super low claimed weight at the expense of durability or removing components, ie the kickstarter. I know it's a key reason for the dinky fuel tanks, dinky oil capacity, plastic subframes......

I also believe pursuing the light ADV market with a revised 500 R-ADV (?) along the lines of what you suggested would be a good direction for the company. There is a growing demand and little to choose from. I see a lot of guys realizing that bigger is not better once the pavement ends plus a lot of aging riders looking for more manageable rides. The Japanese have given up on that market and even the Euros are only offering a couple options, at least here in the States. The SWM650 is really the only thing I see that's coming straight from the factory setup for that role. KTM/Husky seem to think you just want oversize dirt bikes with the 690/701 pair. KTM used to offer LC4 based ADV type bikes but seem to have given up on them. The Husky TE630 wasn't a bad bike to start from, hence the SWM650.

On 6/18/2017 at 5:02 PM, k4f5x0r said:

I've ridden nothing but four strokes my entire life, however once i got into more hardcore singletrack riding i always wanted to try a 300 two stroke.

I will never go back to four pokes for true off road riding.  A four stroke will never feel as agile to me.  The beta fit the bill because i'm short and need a street legal in NY.  PITA to legalize Pumpkins here.

I still prefer the four strokes for dualsporting hence my wr250X.

Like many I grew up on 2-strokes cuz that was "dirt bikes" of the age. I later went 4-stroke when I started to dual sport and the typical 2-strokes weren't well suited to it. I did dual sport my KTM 300 and used that for some rides with minimal pavement. I love 2-strokes and would own another right now if it came with a plate. It's gotten really stupid here in Kommifornia that even in the forest you need a plate if you have to transition from trail to trail on a forest road. There are rangers out there giving tickets, I've seen it and been thankful for my license plate. I will not be restricted to riding designated OHV areas only so I require a street legal bike, period.

I would absolutely love a street legal 300 2-stroke RR-S with a 3.5 gal tank, wide ratio trans, and preferably solid reliable FI/OI.

Edited by danketchpel
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, automagp68 said:

I have heard of that before. although ive never tried it. Ill keep it in the old memory bank

Has anyone see whats happening for the 2018 xtrainer. I just made a deposit on a 17 for my wife and wondering if i should hold out

If your memory bank is like mine it may not be there when you need it. ?

I am digging the 2018 look, my 250rr is due to arrive in 2 weeks ? 

Tell me does anybody else notice the 4.7kg weight savings on the 2t and 5+ kg on the 4t does not look correct on the spec sheet.

So 2017 2t beta was suppose to be 104.5kg and the 4t was 11.5kg

Now on the beta site it says the 18's are 104kg in weight and the 4t is 109kg. Anybody else think the maths is wrong or else the last model weight was incorrect on the site. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/21/2017 at 7:23 PM, automagp68 said:

No other estart bike to jump from?  Done it a dozen times (on my battery, to there bike....)

On 6/21/2017 at 1:19 PM, TroutRunner said:

What benefit will dual injection make?

Found this : http://motocrossactionmag.com/10-things-you-need-to-know-about-dual-fuel-injection/

It's really simple to explain. 

There is a minimum and maximum atomized flow (volume of fuel) out of the injector per 'pulse'.  Different nozzles and different opening durations can change this.

For the rudimentary FI on dirtbikes, you must tune to only one flow rate per pulse, and increase the pulses per second to get more flow.  This is a compromise.

Eventually, you run out of pulses, and you go lean on top. If you compensate with a larger flow per pulse, you are rich on partial throttle openings.

So, if you tune two injectors for different flow, a partial throttle and a WOT, you can get the best of both worlds.  

That, and you will get better atomization on the rear injector due to it's distance and venturi tuning.

This should solve  the excessively rich off-idle throttle condition I believe we have now.

• Like 1