Best time of year to ride Rockhouse and other HM systems

I rode the Rockhouse system of Hatfield-McCoy earlier this week, and the trails were very slick mud. I guess that is due to heavy Spring rains.

Does anyone know the seasonal weather patterns in that part of West Virginia? I would guess that August would be drier, but it also might be ghastly hot and humid.

What is the best time to ride there?

Generally, May - June and September - December are the best times for the Hatfield McCoy trails on a dirt bike.  You should have been fine in May, except for the rainy season this year.  July is definitely hot and humid and August is slightly better with the heat; both months are dusty.  As long as you have comfortable accommodations with A/C, good food (found at all of the local restaurants) and a cold beverage, August is tolerable.       

This May had to have been a real monsoon, as May 28-31 had tons of mud and slick stuff. I know HM is down in the mountains, so it should have cooler temps, but its also a lot farther South than Philly where I live. So I expect that it will net out to be about the same temps as Philly. Early August can be brutally hot and humid. And while A/C lets you sleep well, I tend to work up a sweat even with temps in the 60s. So temps in the 90s will be a problem.

Saw that Wally's in Gilbert is closed. Liked that place, good A/C and decent food.