The official "What did you do to your 690 Enduro or Husqvarna 701 today?" thread

I'll start with an ABC, 123 mod for keeping your registration & insurance paperwork under the seat securely...

Heavy duty, wet or dirty Velcro.
flipped_180.png

Clean seat pan and KTM documents pouch with some rubbing alcohol to get good schticktion.
velcro_on_both.png

Voila! 
voila.png

This Velcro is tough (strong) and I really don't even have to separate the bag from the seat to get to my documents... not that I get pulled over a lot. ?

• Like 6
  • Helpful 1

Cool.. I always have a tank bag on my 690 so the registration along with $10 in cash for gas stays there.. 

Looks like you are already missing a rubber support bumper on your seat.. bottom left of the last image. With that missing the lack of support will lead to a cracked seat pan. I got sick of replacing them and put a custom rubber bumper on top of the battery bracket to support the seat. 

I think the seat design is the #1 flaw with the 690. I have seen may cracked seat pans and had to work on my seat after nearly every ride. 

• Like 1

I had no luck replacing the bumpers. Loose one a ride.. Here's what I did.. bit of a hack but would just end up with 2 hole in the battery bracket if I reverse the mod. 

DWaAXVl.jpg

The bottom one is great. Only had one of those. The rubber on the top one wont take the weight and needs work every few rides.. 

The seat just has both bumpers removed. 

fZvkjin.jpg

You can see in the first picture the white showing on the tank where the seat has rubbed when the bumper was missing. 

Edited by DrKayak

I bought my bike used with a broken stock seat pan and missing bumpers. I did what I suspected to be a temporary fiberglass repair to the break and secured the bumpers with resin. 2k miles of mostly off road and the temporary fix may be permanent. ?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/25/2017 at 11:07 PM, DrKayak said:

I had no luck replacing the bumpers. Loose one a ride.. Here's what I did.. bit of a hack but would just end up with 2 hole in the battery bracket if I reverse the mod. 

DWaAXVl.jpg

The bottom one is great. Only had one of those. The rubber on the top one wont take the weight and needs work every few rides.. 

The seat just has both bumpers removed. 

fZvkjin.jpg

You can see in the first picture the white showing on the tank where the seat has rubbed when the bumper was missing. 

I've been keeping an eye on the rubber seat bumpers since you pointed them out and they are staying in place. I just check anytime I pull the seat off. That seems like when they'll pop out and roll into the small parts Bermuda triangle in the garage. I have one that seems to be on the edge of falling out, but I just push, rotate it and it reseats itself. But still a weak design.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Added Tusk Pannier racks and tail plate last night. Also the Flatlands Skid plate,( easiest Flatlands I've ever installed! 2 bolts!) rear master guard, and 2"  Rox risers.

Tonights work will be the KTM windscreen and IMS Rally pegs. Need to wire in my Battery tender plug also.

Flatlands skid.jpg

IMS rally peg 2.jpg

Tusk rack 2.jpg

Edited by Force0321
  • Like 2

I have a Flatlands Racing plate coming this week. I've used them before, so I know that they typically build good stuff. And, hard to beat their price! Some of the manufacturers out there are asking stupid money like they do for all products in the "Adventure" category.

Footpetgs look good! The stockers really do feel too narrow. Those will give you a lot more leverage over the beast. 

• Like 1

Changed my oil last night and my Flatlands skid plate was missing one bolt. :( Went to longer bolts but no thread lock.. Love the 690 skid plate design.. I can change the oil in the time it took to get the plate off my old 450. That's good cause I change it a lot.. 

• Like 1

Added the KTM windscreen and IMS Rally pegs the other day. Really liking the foot pegs! The windscreen is marginal at keeping the wind off you. At 5'6" the wind hits me right in the throat now. Might try using longer upper bolts and adding some rubber spacers to try and tilt the screen out at the top a bit more. If nothing else, the screen serves as a decent spot for stickers !

Last night I installed the Uni filter from KTM Twins, and the ABS dongle. I ended up having to remove a lot of the over molding in the air box to get the Uni to fit properly. Also shaved a tiny bit off the narrow end of the rubber on the Uni to get it to set down in the air box properly. Bike didn't want to start with the Uni at first. Just cranked and cranked. If I loosen the filter cover and pryed the Uni up, it will start. Got it running with the Uni and did a 15min idle. Hopefully it fires up this morning. May have a bit to much filter oil on it. Waiting on my Fuzeblock FZ-1 to arrive so I can wire in battery tender plug and Amps mount for my Montana gps.

The abs dongle thing was simple other than the directions in a zillion different directions were wrong. Go here for a video that explains how to mount the dongle and how to use it.

Had to run by the post office yesterday and pick up KTM parts! Luckily I had Rox straps with me!

IMG_3553.JPG

• Like 3

On 8/7/2017 at 11:53 AM, DrKayak said:

Changed my oil last night and my Flatlands skid plate was missing one bolt. :( Went to longer bolts but no thread lock.. Love the 690 skid plate design.. I can change the oil in the time it took to get the plate off my old 450. That's good cause I change it a lot.. 

Do you happen to know the torque specs for the two upper skid plate bolts? I've read 33ft/lbs, but you know what they say about trusting what you've read on the Interwebz. ? Whatever help you can provide would be most appreciated!

1 hour ago, Bryan Bosch said:

Do you happen to know the torque specs for the two upper skid plate bolts? I've read 33ft/lbs, but you know what they say about trusting what you've read on the Interwebz. ? Whatever help you can provide would be most appreciated!

I don't think torque is the answer, bet that drop-down bracket the plate mounts to is aluminum. Easy to blow out the treads on aluminum mounts on high service items.  It's key to press the skid plate firmly against the engine so you can cleanly insert the bolt and finger tighten. I screwed up several hard to mount items on my 950adv not following this rule.  To, KTM's credit that mounting bracket on the 690 is easily replaced and the treads go all the way thru so you can just drill out the treads and put a self-locking nut on the back.. done that on my 450.. comes from changing the oil every 200 miles.. 

If I wanted to be 100% sure on the skid plate bolts I would not over tighten and use blue thread lock. But... on aluminum thread that are repeatedly disassembled thread lock takes it's toll. So, I don't over tighten and just try to catch stuff like missing bolts on my pre-flight check.  I had a washer on the bolts when I lost one, now I have longer bolts with no washers.. Longer bolts that go all the way thru with a locking nut on the back would be trick.. might do that tonight.. ?

Edited by DrKayak
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, DrKayak said:

I don't think torque is the answer, bet that drop-down bracket the plate mounts to is aluminum. Easy to blow out the treads on aluminum mounts on high service items.  It's key to press the skid plate firmly against the engine so you can cleanly insert the bolt and finger tighten. I screwed up several hard to mount items on my 950adv not following this rule.  To, KTM's credit that mounting bracket on the 690 is easily replaced and the treads go all the way thru so you can just drill out the treads and put a self-locking nut on the back.. done that on my 450.. comes from changing the oil every 200 miles.. 

If I wanted to be 100% sure on the skid plate bolts I would not over tighten and use blue thread lock. But... on aluminum thread that are repeatedly disassembled thread lock takes it's toll. So, I don't over tighten and just try to catch stuff like missing bolts on my pre-flight check.  I had a washer on the bolts when I lost one, now I have longer bolts with no washers.. Longer bolts that go all the way thru with a locking nut on the back would be trick.. might do that tonight.. ?

I put a floor jack under mine when installing the Flatlands skid. Mashed it up under the engine, used blue locktite on the bolts, tightened by hand and so far they haven't backed out. I will be using longer bolts in the future with nylon locknuts.

Edited by Force0321
  • Like 2