HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
samaki

YZ400 bogging problem solved!!

1 post in this topic

You may have read previous posts concerning a real bad bogging problem with my 99 YZ400. After much time and work I have found the problem and repaired it. The bike works wonderfully now and makes my WR seem tame in comparison.

What I discovered was that the intake cam had spun in the gear approx 20 degrees (40 crank degrees!), retarding my cam timing. As a consequence, compression was low and power output was horrible, plus it had a bogging/dying problem off idle. Though the timing marks on the cam gears were aligned with the top of the head at TDC, the intake timing was retarded 40 crank degrees. I reindexed the cam, heli-arc welded the gear on (exhaust as well)and it is good to go. Thought maybe someone else out there might be experiencing a similar problem.

Thanks to those who posted suggestions and information.