Should I sell My CRF250R and buy a 2 stroke enduro

So my mate called and said, I'm fed up with riding road bikes, especially with all the new speeding laws in England now, lets sell our road bikes and buy dirt bikes. So I said, yeah, ok and without doing anywhere near enough research or knowing which discipline I wanted to get into I sold my fireblade and bought a CRF250R. 

Fast forward 6 weeks and armed with 2 MX practice days and 2 enduro days experience, and a ton of reading about dirt bikes, I have realized that enduro is more my bag and I've probably bought the wrong bike.

My decision now is, do I make my Honda trail friendly by doing mods like a G2 throttle tamer, heavier flywheel, bark busters etc orrr, do I sell it and buy an enduro. I've already decided that I'd probably go for a 2 stroke if I did go down the enduro route as I'd be happier to work on it myself in the garage. My budget isn't massive, maybe 2600. I've been looking at the KTM 250 exc. 

Any thoughts or advice is welcomed. 

Edited by ahayto
  • Like 1

If I were in your position, I'd just sell your current bike and buy an Enduro. 

Sounds like you bought used so you'd probably break even by selling it off and buying something that fits your riding preference better. 

I'd go with the 250EXC, but that's just me. If I was interested in a 2t enduro bike, I would want either the 250 or 300 EXC. You probably wouldn't lose money and the bike would already be set up for offroad. Cheers

On 5/21/2017 at 3:31 PM, ahayto said:

So my mate called and said, I'm fed up with riding road bikes, especially with all the new speeding laws in England now, lets sell our road bikes and buy dirt bikes. So I said, yeah, ok and without doing anywhere near enough research or knowing which discipline I wanted to get into I sold my fireblade and bought a CRF250R. 

Fast forward 6 weeks and armed with 2 MX practice days and 2 enduro days experience, and a ton of reading about dirt bikes, I have realized that enduro is more my bag and I've probably bought the wrong bike.

My decision now is, do I make my Honda trail friendly by doing mods like a G2 throttle tamer , heavier flywheel, bark busters etc orrr, do I sell it and buy an enduro. I've already decided that I'd probably go for a 2 stroke if I did go down the enduro route as I'd be happier to work on it myself in the garage. My budget isn't massive, maybe 2600. I've been looking at the KTM 250 exc. 

Any thoughts or advice is welcomed. 

I'd sell the crf and buy an enduro. 250exc or 250xcw 

• Like 1

If your talking about putting a throttle tamer, flywheel weight etc. to try and calm the throttle on your 250R to make it more woods friendly...then I think a 2 stroke would be the wrong choice. They have more of a "light switch" throttle response and will be harder to control than your more linear throttle on your 250r. I have made my 250r more trail friendly with a re-map on the ECU and some gearing changes.

A dedicated enduro purchase would probably be the way to go as others have suggested.

What year is your CRF?

Edited by Force10

Thanks for the replies everyone. The CRF is a 2007 so a carb model. The throttle isn't too bad for me to be honest so i wasn't sure about the throttle tamer anyway. The flywheel was to help me not stall it. 

I think you've all helped me make my mind up that i'm going to sell it and get a dedicated enduro. Its a shame as its a great bike with only 50 hrs from new. 

I was looking a t a 2 stroke mainly because they're lighter and easier and cheaper to service. I could go for a wr or  a crf x but i'm just wary of the 4t's at my budget in case i buy a lemon (Which i did before i got the crf but thats another story). Also i'm really only going to be using this bike for enduro and probably never on the road. 

You can do a lot to any bike to make it worthy of whatever terrain you prefer to ride, but why go through that?  It's like some guys say, "Oh well my RMZ450 can be made to be as powerful and almost as light as the KTM!"  But why go through that hassle and money, just to have a bike that's still inferior to another? 

Sell your bike and buy a dedicated offroad machine.  Definitely

Yes definitely sell the crf. Myself and all my friends made the exact same mistake as you when we started out...

For £2600 I think you'll just manage to buy a 2008 - 2011 model if you are prepared to travel. I would get the ktm 200 however! They have a great amount of power for a learner all the way through to experienced rider. Anything bigger and I think it will stump your learning curve.