57 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

23 hours ago, Johnny Depp said:

OK now we're getting there on the gear, but you were setting a trend with the red shorts and knee pads and football jersey for sure.

For an old MX guy, I figured you'd be tucking those pants in the boots. I think you're going Freestyle. I can't wait to see the jersey :)

BRO I WAS ALWAYS ABOUT BMX FREESTYLE, I STILL AM. THESE DAYS NOT SO MUCH MX FREESTYLE THO, AS NOW ITS JUST OUTTA HAND WITH DOUBLE FRONTFLIPSS AND SUCH, BUT FREERIDING; HITTING SOME COOL HIPS, AND MAYBE SOME TABLETOPS AND JUST HAVING FUN IS WHAT I THINK MAKES DIRTBIKE RIDING, AS GOOD AS SURFING, AND SCUBA DIVING, AND THOSE THINGS AS GOOD AS DIRTBIKING. BASICALLY JUST FEELING FREE, AND DOING WHAT COMES NATURALLY, MAYBE PUSHING MY OWN LIMITS A LITTLE BIT, BUT NOT TOO MUCH, AND TAKING MY WIFE AND KIDS ALONG FOR THE RIDE. 

full.jpg.653c20e6294cd22b7c373552034a29e0.jpg

THIS WAS AFTER ABOUT 10 SURGERIES AND UNBEKNOWNST TO ME STILL HAD 18 MORE TO GO, THOSE ALMOST KILLED ME MANN, IN THIS PIC, I HAD TO USE A CANE TO WALK AROUND WITH, I WAS PROBABLY SUPER LOADED UP ON PAIN KILLERS AND OTHER STUFF TOO, CHECK OUT THE BEER CAN ON THE GROUND,PROBABLY JUST POUNDED THAT ONE, SO I WASNT AT MY BEST BUT I COULD STILL BREAK THIS POOR LITTLE BIKE, AND NOT GIVE A ****. IVE BEEN COMPLETELY SOBER FOR ABOUT 5 YEARS NOW WITH NO BACKSLIDING. NO PILLS, NO SMOKE, NO BOOZE, AND NOW I DO CARE... BECAUSE OF AND FOR MY FAMILY...   NO OTHER REASON... GOD TOLD ME TO CLEAN UP FOR THEM BECAUSE THEY DESERVED ME AT MY BEST, AND THATS ME BEING A NICE GENTLE SOBER SURFER DUDE. BESIDES DRUGS AND ALCOHOL QUIT WORKING ON ME ANYWAYS AND YEAH I RAN WITH THE WRONG CROWD AND I HAVE REGRETS IF STOP TO THINK ABOUT IT. :devil:

STILL LOVE ME COFFEE THO...

IVE ONLY OWNED 2 MX JERSEYS IN MY LIFE; AN OLD AXO THAT I RAZORBLADED A BUNCH OF HOLES INTO LIKE JEFF MATASAVICH WHEN I WAS A LITTLE KID THUS RUINING SAID JERSEY WHEN I WAS OUT OF CONTROL ON MY KX80, AND THEN I GOT A SHIFT JERSEY THAT MATCHES THOSE SHIFT PANTS ABOUT 15 YEARS AGO THAT I STILL HAVE AND NEVER REALLY WORE BECAUSE IT WAS HOTTER THAN A T-SHIRT OR FOOTBALL JERSEY, AND NEVER UNDERSTOOD THE HOCKEY STYLE SLEEVES. BUT IT LOOKS REALLY GOOD WHEN I ROLL THE SLEEVES UP, THEY GET REAL TIGHT AND MAKE THE GUNS AND SHOULDERS LOOK BIG. :lol:

591204030ef06_Photoon5-9-17at11_00AM.jpg.5bfdfebeacc3d4d14209deb734944ba5.jpg

SO I STARTED WEARING TANKTOPS AND PLAIN STAFFORD T-SHIRTS AND THEN PRACTICE FOOTBALL JERSIES BECAUSE I HAVE A BUNCH OF THOSE FROM HIGHSCHOOL AND EARLY COLLEGE DAYS, I WAS A STARTING DEFENSIVE PLAYER IN MY YOUTH. AND NOW MY LB YERSEY IS MY FAV, BUT I GOT LOTS OF OTHERS AND THEY FIT OVER ANY MX CHEST PROTECTOR.

AS AN ADULT MY FIRST MOTOPANTS WERE LBZ'S AND THEN SMP'S BUT MY FRIENDS JACKED EM WHEN I WAS LAID UP, I PROBABLY GAVE THEM AWAY, WHO KNOWS. NONE OF THOSE GUYS RIDE ANYMORE ANYWAYS. BUT, IVE STILL GOT 2 PAIRS OF SHIFT PANTS, AND I TRIED TO WEAR THEM BUT I PREFFERED THE ADIDAS SHORTS, AS THE ONES THAT TURN INTO SHORTS ARE A LITTLE BIT TIGHT AROUND THE WAIST, AND THE GREY CARGO POCKET ONES I RACED IN ARE A LITTLE BIT BULKY AND WARM TO WEAR OTHER THAN AT NIGHT. ESPECIALLY WHEN ITS HOT.

591205434b4bf_ScreenShot2017-03-12at12_31_29PM.png.107c34231a1ca94971412af04c2c5c00.png

BUT WHEN ITS A LITTLE COOLER THEY PERFECTION

CIMG2627.JPG.3ed38ac7c5f04adc46cf6dda49d65279.JPG

SO I REALLY PREFER THE TRAINING SHORTS OVER THE MX PANTS, BUT DOING THOSE REALLY TUFF HILLCLIMBS THEY WOULD FALL OFF MY BOOTY, REVEALING WHERE THE SUN DONT USUALLY SHINE. AND ALSO PRACTICING WHEELIES AROUND THE STAGING AREA. IN FRONT OF LOTS OF PEOPLE, I WAS LOOKING MORE GHETTO THAN NORMAL, AT LEAST I FELT THAT WAY. SO I WAS STOKED TO GET SOME NEW THREADS. THESE PANTS ZIP OF INTO SHORTS AS WELL AND THEY SEEM TO VENT PRETTY GOOD, SO WELL SEE, THEY ALSO COME IN GREEN SO WHEN I SEE THOSE I'M GONNA NAB EM.

18301585_10155289740639904_833872930714758174_n.thumb.jpg.c89ba2bc992065baff6a92909bc6363d.jpg18301087_10155289740984904_3297683722871904666_n.thumb.jpg.fb87bc84c4a98c4e75333d355378f05d.jpgMX16_15150_532_2.thumb.jpg.65986259f69ffcd5b907df0691e45d65.jpg18301092_10155289741024904_6005255502291841956_n.thumb.jpg.1b48fc3a7428b51a7445d58fdd309318.jpg

AS A KID I ALWAYS WANTED THAT COOL FOX GEAR THAT WAS ON THE FIRST PAGE OF MX ACTION, BUT I ALWAYS ENDED UP WITH ALPINESTARS AND OTHER KIND OF TRENDY GEAR, SO NOW I'M AN OLD FART ON A 500 AND I FINALLY GET MY FOX GEAR. HAHA 

I WANT TO GET EITHER OF THESE JERSEY THO TO SEE IF I LIKE THEM BETTER THAN MY FOOTBALL JERSEIES, PROBLY THE FIRST IF I CAN FIND IT.

Unknown.jpeg.787d62f1de439d0e05c26b84fae6a123.jpegfox_racing180_race_jersey_zoom.jpg.d71331525eda4a00dcd8edc61355e32f.jpg

BUT THEY DIDNT HAVE EM IN XL SO TANKTOP OR TSHIRT FOR NOW.

LOOKAT DISNomad-Combo.jpg.f83dd14c323463c0edb8ed2894231848.jpg

ONE OF THESE DAYS, ID LIKE TO TRY SOME IN THE BOOT STYLE BUT I HAVENT HAD THOSE SINCE I WAS ABOUT 12 OR 13.

I USED TO RIDE IN SURF TRUNKS BECAUSE I ALWAYS WORE SURF TRUNKS BEFORE I DISCOVERED HOW COMFORTABLE ADIDAS AND NIKE SHORTS WERE.

PEACE...

Edited by surfer-dude
2 people like this

36 minutes ago, basalt said:

This is what its all about!

Some reason I think even if they took the foot/feet you would find a way to ride!

YEAH FOR REALS, I WAS ACTUALLY THINKING ABOUT DOWNHILL WHEELCHAIRS, BUT I'M GLAD IT WORKED OUT THIS WAY.

:thumbsup:

3 hours ago, surfer-dude said:

I KNOW HUH, WHEN MY 11 YEAR OLD SAW MY PANTS HE WAS LIKE ; EHH YOU SURE ABOUT THAT COLOR!!! HE'S USED TO SEEING ME ALWAYS WEAR BLACK. I THINK HE LIKED THEM BETTER WHEN HE SAW THESE PICS, THE LITTLE GUY LOVED EM CALLED ME A THUNDERCAT. MY WIFE KEPT GRABBING ME AND CHASING ME AROUND THE HOUSE AND YARD UNTILL I TOOK THEM OFF AND I LOOKED LIKE MY DORKY OLD SELF.

18301092_10155289741024904_6005255502291841956_n.thumb.jpg.09e382d682fa8b0fba74ad3ba48e699a.jpg SHE SAID STRIKE A POSE SO OK

THE 125'S GONNA BE REALLY COOL WHEN SHE GETS A BIT MORE PROFICIENT AND WE CAN GO DO SOME FOREST ROADS. IN TIME IT'LL HAPPEN, I JUST GOTTA HAVE PATIENCE.

Good for you, man. It's been awhile since a woman was chasing me around, trying to get my pants off. Seriously, good story.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

MANN, I WAS JUST LOOKING ON YOUTUBE AND I DIDN'T EVEN SEE ONE PERSON DOING THOSE BIG, GNARLEY  LOOSE  ROCKY, SANDY HILLS IN THE FRONT AREA OF EL MIRAGE, BY THE CLOSEST ENTRANCE TO THE 395. I THINK THEY'RE CALLED THE SHADOW MOUNTAINS. THE ONES IN THE PIC BEHIND MY WIFES BIKE. THERE WAS ONE DUDE THAT HAS VIDEO SHOWING WHERE HE DIDN'T MAKE IT. BUT THERE WAS A TRAIL BEFORE ME, SO AND I CHEWED IT UP A BIT MORE.18403791_10155286964164904_2239665487624998143_o.jpg.d8c73dd45bd5dfc5444d9c98a27e5a77.jpg  IF ANYONE ELSE HAS CONQUERED THE TALLEST ONES CHIME IN, CUZ I WANT TO KNOW, EVEN BETTER IS IF YOU HAVE A YOUTUBE VIDEO OF IT SHOW ME THE LINK. I DONT HAVE A GOPRO CAMERA, OTHERWISE I WOULD'VE POSTED IT. 

ON YOUTUBE I TYPED IN EL MIRAGE HILLCLIMBS

I KINDA THOUGHT THAT THE OTHER HILLS WERE ALOT EASIER COMPARED TO THOSE 2 TUFF ONES.

CHIME IN LET ME KNOW

I HATE LOOKING AT THE SCRATCHES ON MY BIKE, SO IT MIGHT BE AWHILE BEFORE I HIT THOSE ONES UP AGAIN. 

BUT, I'M SURE MY FAMILY HAS A FEW MORE TRIPS TO MAKE OUT THAT WAY.

Edited by surfer-dude

THIS BE THE HILL

ANYBODY ELSE MADE IT???

TOWARDS THE RIGHT IS WHERE ME AND VALENTINA CAUSED THAT AVALANCHE AND GOT BANGED UP. NOW, THERE ARE TRAILS GOING UP AND DOWN SO I JUST FOLLOWED THEM. I FIGURED THAT IF SOMEONE ELSE MADE IT I COULD TOO.

I SHOULDA JUST BANGED HER DOWN, INSTEAD OF BEING CAUTIOUS, BUT DOING 3 OTHER UPS AND DOWNS AROUND THE IMMEDIATE AREA, I HAD HER BOILING OVER AT THE TOP, SO I WAS A LITTLE NERVOUS ABOUT SOMETHING OTHER THAN WHAT I WAS DOING. LIKE, WILL THIS BE WARRANTTEED IF SHE BLOWS UP.

LIVE AND LEARN...

IT WAS GNARLEY THO...

PEACE...

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

According to Jeff and Dave, no ;)

EDIT: and Chris. Didn't mean to leave him out.

Edited by basalt

Posted (edited)

9 hours ago, basalt said:

According to Jeff and Dave, no ;)

EDIT: and Chris. Didn't mean to leave him out.

I JUST STARTED RIDING AGAIN AFTER A LONG HIATUS, BUT I STILL THOUGHT IT WAS TUFF. THIS ONE LEFT ME HEATED AND BREATHING HEAVY THAT'S FOR SURE. THERE WERE TRAILS GOING UP IT BEFORE ME SO I'M NOT THE FIRST. JUST WONDERING IF ANY OF YOU CALI BOYS ON TT HAD DONE IT. I COULDNT FIND ANYTHING ON YOUTUBE ABOUT IT CEPT THIS DUDES VIDEO, AND A FEW VIDEOS OF DUDES RIDING THE RIDGE FROM THE BACK TOWARDS IT AND THEN TURNING AROUND AND GOING DOWN EASIER TRAILS. JUST WONDERING, THATS ALL...

RIGHT HERE IN THE MIDDLE OF THIS PICTUE; FROM FLAT GROUND, GOING UP THE HILL TO THE  RIGHT, AND JUST ABOVE MY WIFES GRIP, IS THE SHUTE THAT DUDE WAS TALKING ABOUT. THERES ANONTHER TRAIL LEADING FROM FROM RIGHT TO LEFT JUST ABOVE MY WIFES FRONT MASTER CYLINDER THAT LINKS UP TO THAT TRAIL AND THEN INTO THE SHUTE. AND FROM THERE IT'S BASICALLY COMMIT OR TURN BACK.5914d9dabfacb_ScreenShot2017-05-11at2_37_16PM.png.94b94390238b6ad5f5c03e827c434d43.png

RIGHT THERE PAST THE SHUTE, IT FLATENS OUT AND GOES LEFT SO THAT YOU CAN GET A SHORT 15' RUN AT IT, AND THEN IT'S ALL OR NOTHING. THE GROUND IS SOFT LIKE REALLY SOFT BEACH SAND, WITH LOTS OF ROCKS THROWN IN, YOU CAN SEE THE TRAILS GOING UP THAT LAST 150-200 FEET, AND THE ROCKY CLIFF TO THE LEFT OF THEM THAT THAT DUDE WAS TALKING ABOUT. MY CLUTCH DIDN'T EVEN FADE, AND I WAS ON THAT SUCKA.

THIS IS THE VERY FIRST HILL YOU SEE AS YOU GO INTO EL MIRAGE BY THE NEW PAY STATION AND BEGINNER LESSON AREA. I WAS A LITTLE HARD ON VALENTINA, SO I'M NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO HURTING HER AGAIN ON THAT HILL, SHE'S STILL TOO PRETTY FOR STUFF LIKE THAT.

INSTEAD IM' LOOKING FORWARD TO RUNNING THE LOOP TRAILS AND ESPECIALLY RUNNING THEM AND ANY OTHER TRAILS I CAN FIND HERE IN EL MIRAGE AT NIGHT.

18403791_10155286964164904_2239665487624998143_o-1.jpg.d8c73dd45bd5dfc5444d9c98a27e5a77.jpg.bf08871759eaf9b5fc01c830836ab536.jpg

WE'RE PROBABLY GONNA HAVE MY BOYS, AND MY LADY IF SHE CAN, DO THOSE BEGINNER CLASSES, THAT ARE OFFERED IN FRONT. THEY'RE FREE SO WHY NOT, MAYBE I'LL DO EM TOO.

THE BETA 500 RR-S IS A VERY CAPABLE BIKE, THE ONLY REAL CHANGE I'VE DONE IS INSTALL THAT 13 TOOTH SPROCKET, I THINK I'D LIKE TO TRY A 14, AS A COMPROMISE FOR BETTER SPEED SO I'M NOT LOOKING FOR 7TH GEAR, AND ALSO FOR BETTER WHEELIE ACTION THAN THE 15.

EXCELLENT BIKE, SHE'S JUST TOO PRETTY TO HURT...

I 'M AFRAID TO EVEN LOOK AT HER WHEELS FOR DAMAGE, SO SHE'S STILL MY DIRTY GIRL..

TODAY I CHANGED OUT THE CDI BOX ON MY 7 YEAR OLD LITTLE BOY JOJO'S XR50, AND PLAYED WITH THE WIRING ON IT TOO. I BROKE THE CARBURATOR SO I HAD TO TAKE 2 CARBS APART TO MAKE ONE GOOD ONE. NOW THAT 50 IS PURRING LIKE A KITTY CAT. GOT A LEAD ON A KTM 65 FOR MY 11 YEAR OLD BOY BOY, TRYSTAN, SO HE CAN START SHREDDING THE DEZ WITH ME.

ESPECIALLY BECAUSE RIGHT NOW WITH ALL THESE GREAT WHITES INVADING MY SURF TERRITORY I'M NOT EXACTLY EXCITED ABOUT TAKING THEM FOR A SURF WITH ME. TODAY THEY CLEARED HUNTINGTON BEACH PIER FROM THE HELICOPTER SAYING THERE WAS 15 LARGE WHITE SHARKS PATROLLING THE SURF AREA.

TOMOROW 5AM WE GOT THE DISNEY RUN, 5K THRU DISNEYLAND, SHOULD BE FUNN.

SPACE FROG'S A BADASS SONG

PEACE...

Edited by surfer-dude
1 person likes this

Pretty sure that video was posted by ballisticexchris. He should chime in soon

Lots of posts about it in California section, but that place is a mess.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

"Lizzy's Wild Ride"

So, after doing the disney run, my lady wanted to go ride some off road trails for mothers day. And so, me being me, why would i ever say no to something like a "Mothers Day Trail Ride". So, I loaded up the mighty 7.3l f-250. And then our little family hopped in, along with our bikes and gear. And we set out for a day trip out in the California Desert.

So off we went, east to El Mirage, with the intention, that she would run the East Loop trail. After a somewhat pleasant 2-hour traffic free drive we arrived to the expansive California high-desert. We found that it was a little bit windy, but the sun was shinning, and it was a nice cool 68 degrees, so nearly perfect weather. Once we had arrived at our destination, I unloaded the bikes and got our kids going with their xr50 as our loving pit-bull named Cherry-Baby chased them around, while they rode, and battled it out with nerf guns. The day prior, we had attended a nerf battle themed 7 yr olds birthday party, so they were ready to battle some more.

They played around on the dry lake bed as me, and my lady started off with a basic review of skills and bike knowledge. I also did a buddy check on her and her protective gear. She has only ridden her motorcycle 3 or 4 times prior to this and only pit-bikes a handfull of times before that, so this was a much appreciated time, whilst the anticipation of the adventure ahead blossomed into fruition. I conducted a small ride briefing while gassing up our bikes noting; the general conditions, the direction, and estimated distance we were going to be traveling, as well as the time. And, we also developed a protocol to follow, for different scenarios should they arise, such as mine and my bikes roll, so that she would already know what to expect. I then had her demonstrate the start up & shut down procedures of her bike. After this I had her practice some turns, in addition to starting and stopping her bike. Mostly this was in order to practice some basic clutch and throttle control. I then tried explaining the different body positions for the various terrain, which would lay ahead of us. I then told her "don't worry, you got this, and I got you", and we then headed out to go run her very first trail-ride on her very first motorcycle.

She clocked her first 18 miles of desert trail-riding on her new Beta 125RR-S that she affectionately named "Guiseppe". At first she was a little bit apprehensive, and timid, due to the fear of the unknown trials, and journey that lay ahead of her. But her bike is awesome, and he rev'd with excitement. As we began to cover ground, and traverse the varied Southern California Mojave Desert terrain, she became much more familiar with her bike and it's mannerisms as well as his capabilities.

As we rode through the California desert, dodging Joshua Trees and other xeromorphic type plants, she learned the importance of shifting her weight around on her little full-size bike. As, you know, this is especially important in the sand. And so in addition to learning this, along with how to use her gears and throttle hand properly, she also learned to keep her speed up so that the front wheel would track on top of the sand rather than push through it. But, despite her best efforts, she still managed to have a few low speed wipeout occurrences. Thanks to her protective gear for doing its job, of these few times, she was only hurt once.

The bike fell on top of her leg, so a bruise on her ankle was achieved. Her cutesy little fox boots did a great job preventing further injury. So, we allowed a moment for her to chill, and catch her breath. I picked up her bike, and then her, and all was well, the protective gear did it's job. The bike fired right up, and I let it idle as the carb cleared out. I tried to be patient and not say too much, in order to let her have a few moments to recollect without giving any pointers, unless asked. But, of course she was mad at me.

The little Guiseppe bike has plenty of power in addition to well behaved trail manners so that me lady, although a beginner, making some beginners mistakes made it thru all of the sand washes that we came across on this East loop trail. We rode through the sand, and it gave way to dirt and rocks as we came into the canyon areas of what I know as; The Shadow Mountains, and more specifically as Resurrection Hill.

I watched with joy as she attacked and conquered some of this new rocky terrain, without apprehension. Little Guiseppe gobbled up this rocky trail as if it were smooth, like the dry lakebed. I was truely impressed with the suspension and handling of the little dual-sport, in this harshest of beginners desert terrain. The first hill climb that we came upon, me lady stopped and asked me to ride her bike up, so I dismounted the lovely Valentina bike, and took her Guiseppe up and down a few times so she could see how easy it was. I then handed the bike back to her and she faced her fear, and conquered it, in first gear. This little 125 has great power for such a small package. It is also extremely smooth, and well mannered, in addition to being very quiet.

We rode thru the canyons as I watched the 2 of them conquer hill after hill, each time gaining skill and much needed experience. Together they went quite a few miles, without fail. However they did fall twice, once because she stopped behind me rather than next to me on an uphill and got stuck, and then toppled over. And then, another fall when she was leading and came upon an intimidating downhill right after she cleared the peak of an intimidating hill climb. It was actually funny, because she got to the top of the climb and then jumped ship. After much persuasion, i rode her bike down.

This was at about the halfway point, and after afterwards she went into what I can only describe as "MAMA mode" becase she rode with a P-O'd type of aggression that I can not explain, as it can only be observed. After this moment of reckoning, little Guiseppe simply followed her will and he was more than capable of delivering all that was required by his new MAMA.

As I played around jumping over fallen Joshua Trees and boulders, the two of them took off. I didn't hear them because of the quiet exhaust note. After a little bit of goofing around, I was realized I was all alone. But the trail was well marked, so me and Valentina turned on the steam. When I finally caught up to them a mile or 2 down the trail, I found tracks skidding off left to right then back to left, and then I saw them.

They were stuck right in the middle of a big' ole creosote bush. I dismounted and attempted to pull her front wheel out of the bush but they were in there really good! While I was working on getting them out she joked "just call me G.W. hehehe" as she laughed like our former POTUS. We then shared a laugh. And all was good. I then showed her how to use the bikes power to power itself out of trouble while walking next to it.

For the rest of the ride she woman-handled little Guiseppe, and rode him like a straight up BOSS-LADY. Once or twice they might of gotten a bit out of line in the sand washes, and stopped here and there, but they made it to the end of the trail without further incidence. Except for a bruise on her ankle, and a scuffed grip from the rocks, we made it back to the truck without further injury or damage, to my lady and her little bike.

She has only ridden her bike 3 times prior to this, so I was pretty impressed with her perserverance, as she never asked to quit, or turnback. Her persistance paid off and it was rewarded at the end with a newfound sense of off-road achievement. This was also confirmed by the big, beautiful, joyous, smile, that she shared with the rest of us. This all happened as the hugs came from our 2 boys, our old puppy, and me too. She told us the story of her ride, and of the failures, but also of the overcoming victory at the end. She's a great story teller, full of animation, and dynamics. This caused our older boy to go off, and make his own little enduro-trails, through the sandy beach area that we had set our day-camp. Our younger one was going crazy because of all the sour gummy bears he ate, and was chasing me and the other one down with the nerf gun, while the dog slept under the truck.

All in all, this was a Mothers Day full of fun and adventure.

Happy Mothers Day to all...

Edited by surfer-dude
2 people like this

thanks for not using  CAPS  !!

i don't like being yelled at  :rolleyes:

2 people like this

Looks like you may have had a ghost writer?? Great write up about the 125!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

And so now after Lizzy's Wild Ride,,,

Heres the the Valentina report:

Valentina and I logged 69 miles of El Mirage trails. :ride: So basically, me and Valentina did all of the marked trails that we could find. We also did a bunch of the not too difficult hill climbs on the back north-west part of the ohv area(nice views). Next time out I'm gonna ride the fenceline around the entire park, and see what thats like.:goofy: We also rode the discovery trail, after the sun went down. Using only the headlight with the trail markers to navigate us back to our family was a blast, you could even call it bitchin'. This all worked out pretty good, and I totally enjoy knight-riding through the desert. I'm extremely happy to report this. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

It was my ladies idea to go for the sunset/night ride, as I was already beginning to pack us up to go home. But who am I to say no to a good time. It was pretty was cool,:cool: riding off into the sunset for that one last ride before we went home. As a matter of fact, I had only brought a tank top, so it was down right cold as the sun went down and the high desert winds kicked in! A sweater would've been nice. But hey, at least I got a nice sunburn from riding my dirt-bike all day. So it all worked out in the end. ;)

The day before all of this, I had reinstalled the 15 tooth countershaft sprocket. And then, since the surf was flat :banghead:, I took took a nice leisurely ride down PCH towards the HB pier. I stopped by a friends house off of 11th street, but he wasn't home. So we just cruised around looking for something funn to do in the early afternoon sunshine. :devil:

We stopped here and there, looking to see if we could spot any great white sharks breaching, but nope,:cry: we didn't see not a one. But together with my wild new fox shorts, and the beautiful Valentina bike, we attracted lots of attention.:rolleyes: Dudes was staring and girlies was hooting and hollering, Old harley dudes was throwing revs and waving, and life was pretty good as i lane spilt all of the US Highway 1 traffic from LB to HB and back. 

There was some bicycle ride thing happening, and I got in with that for a bit.:goofy: But then we came across some wheelchair ride thing happening over at Bolsa-Chica State Beach. I felt a little bit weird and out of place. You see, I was cruising thru the state park, idling along in 2nd. But I was also standing up with no hands on the bars and shifting weight from side to side to make the curves and turns. I was riding in a safe manner for myself and those around me,:cripple: But, we still got some strange looks, as people set up their chairs for the event. So I split before any bad vibes were felt. It was a nice sunny spring afternoon. And I had nothing better to do,:smashpc: so ,we went for ride down the California coast to see what was going on. It was nice, and the 15 tooth is best for this type of riding.

But then my lady said "Hey, let's go to El Mirage tomorrow". :ride:

I said cool, but after taking my sons to a late afternoon birthday party, I was just way too lazy:lame: to switch Valentina back to the 13 tooth front sprocket. So I took her with the 15 count for some good ole Kaliforny off-roadin funnin in the sunnin.:cool: And I have to say, that although the bike is capable enough with the 15 tooth off road, I hate it compared to the 13 tooth. :facepalm:

In the sand the power just wasn't powerful enough anymore, and it just didn't feel right to me.:naughty: Wheelies were definitely more work, and overcoming the low speed technical obstacles; like fallen Joshua Trees, and the odd boulder hop, required more effort and whiskey throttle to jump over.:jawdrop: The hillclimbs, I'm still on the fence about, because I didn't really challenge myself and my tires still bald.:rolleyes: Never the less, I did all of those back hills and I wasnt really intimidated by anything that I came across, at least not yesterday. The bike has plenty of power, so that's all I have to say about that.;)

I like the topend in the whoops,:thumbsup: but I still feel like it's geared a little tall. Especially when coming around turns in the washes and I slow down for fear:thumbsdn: of hitting razors and quads. It just doesn't pull the way I'd like it to pull. But it's also like I said, "I wasn't challenging myself'. I was just cruising around,:ride: and enjoying my time with my lady,:cool: and then just with my Valentina.:devil: But, I think I would've enjoyed it a little better with shorter gearing, :p unless I was in a race situation and had the desire to push it to the limits of the stock suspension.

One of these days I'll try a 14 out and report on that.:lol:

Once again, no worries with the bike, she's a screamer and I have nothing but good things to say.:p

She has a license plate and i rode her a bit on those country roads. :devil:

The mann even rode up to check on me,:devil: but all is good...:p

Oh yeah I totally forgot, now that the engine is losened up a bit, I have no problems kicking her over. I was doing it about half & half on sunday all day.

Hope you all treated the MOMS's in your life proper.

And Happy Mothers Day to all you wonderful ladies that brought love and happiness to the rest of us.

PEACE....

Edited by surfer-dude
sundays extra bit
1 person likes this

On 5/11/2017 at 9:36 AM, surfer-dude said:

THIS BE THE HILL

ANYBODY ELSE MADE IT???

TOWARDS THE RIGHT IS WHERE ME AND VALENTINA CAUSED THAT AVALANCHE AND GOT BANGED UP. NOW, THERE ARE TRAILS GOING UP AND DOWN SO I JUST FOLLOWED THEM. I FIGURED THAT IF SOMEONE ELSE MADE IT I COULD TOO.

I SHOULDA JUST BANGED HER DOWN, INSTEAD OF BEING CAUTIOUS, BUT DOING 3 OTHER UPS AND DOWNS AROUND THE IMMEDIATE AREA, I HAD HER BOILING OVER AT THE TOP, SO I WAS A LITTLE NERVOUS ABOUT SOMETHING OTHER THAN WHAT I WAS DOING. LIKE, WILL THIS BE WARRANTTEED IF SHE BLOWS UP.

LIVE AND LEARN...

IT WAS GNARLEY THO...

PEACE...

You are the first if you made it over the rock cliff on the left. I made it to the right of the rock once sidehilling after the slot. Good on you for making it past where I dug in. I just can't seem to modulate my clutch good enough without looping it or digging in. It's for sure one of the most technical steep hill climbs in the country!

2 people like this

Btw, how about posting with less caps? 

BYW bench pressing 255 is not bad. OTOH, only when you can knock out a 5 minute plank are we talking hard core!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

16 hours ago, ballisticexchris said:

You are the first if you made it over the rock cliff on the left. I made it to the right of the rock once sidehilling after the slot. Good on you for making it past where I dug in. I just can't seem to modulate my clutch good enough without looping it or digging in. It's for sure one of the most technical steep hill climbs in the country!

Thanks mann,

But nope, I didn't even see a line up the left and over those rocks, so I never even thought about it. I didn't sidehill it, but I still went to the right of that steep rocky area. I pretty much shot the middle gap. There was already tracks going up it, and I was in a focused state of mind, and I never even thought failure was an option. In reality I jumped without thinking. Now, I see how I coulda messed up.

Back at the truck I had the mental image of me riding over the top of that mountain and then going back down and then up and down all of the trails of that front mountain area. And then also connecting all of the peaks of the small shadow mountain range. But that big climb was much harder than it looked from far away. When I got to it, I just followed whoever left that line before me and charged it with out thinking. This was the hardest climb in El Mirage.

My clutch got a good workout, but it handled it fine. It was definitely something you had to commit too. Because, once you got past a certain point, if you were to chop the throttle, it was so steep that The Shadow mountain would win that fight! I'd say, that it would give you your bike back with a few broken bits, maybe some bent pieces, definitely some new scratches at the very least.

I dont't like those odds of failure, and my bike got up to like 275 degrees when I looked down at the computer, after I heard the water rumbling. The beta tech guy told me that 250 was cool but past that not so good. So I probably wont be attempting that again untill I get a dedicated hard enduro off road bike.  I want to save my dual sport and keep her looking good for dual sport riding, which is the reason I got her.

I can see a new 300 2 smoker of some sort in my near future, maybe even an older 4 stroke mxr, but first a new bike and gear for my boy, and then a brand new used toy hauler at least.

Going up thru the shute, I put my left foot down only once. I think that the hardest part of the climb was past the shute, and then up past the first 1/2 to 3/4 of the last climb. Mostly because of the sand and rock combination, which made it diffucult to keep speed while also finding traction. Also, you also had to avoid some of the big rocks laying in your path.After that, it was steep and rocky at the top of the climb. My bike was wheelying somewhere around near-vertical as I grabbed traction on the last rock section and  jumped over the top of the rocky crest. I actually had to remind myself to hold on, and pulled myself into the bike as we jumped over that last bit. I saw how the dude in the video was gassing, and I was too. Except I was at the top. It was tuff but i've done harder and scarier. I think...:ride::goofy: 

Gods on my side, and i'm sure he wanted to see me smile. It had been raining, and the top of the sand was a little crusty, and I'm lucky. So, I'm sure all of this helped. But in addition, Valentina is like a caged beast waiting to breathe fire when you unleash her throttle. This all aded up so I could feel good about it.

I really need a gopro...

Going back down that hill, after going back down, and then back up a couple of different and easier lines, was pretty hairy too. It was so loose that part of the mountain tried burying Valentina and I.:lol: But Valentina's a stallion and I was actually surprised when we didn't crash or fall. We just kind of slalomed down the steep ravine to the right (left if your going down) of the climb without crashing. I thought we were fawked, and we both got banged up a little. I dont think I had control of the situation, but we pulled it. The bike saved us from MY mistake of going too slow and dragging the rear brake down that loose stuff, which pitched us sideways, the wrongway, and almost to our doom.:rolleyes:

I grew up freeriding & doing lots of the hillclimbs over in the badlands by Beaumont off of the 60. And I gotta tell ya, Beaumont has a lot more technical terrain than this place. (Also a little fyi, dudes have been jumping over the 60 freeway since early 00's at least, maybe even before that). It's so technical I'll probably never take my wife or even Valentina in there. But that place made me a good dirtbike rider, at least I thought I was good, untill I broke my foot in a hundred places and had to get a bone transplant to save it.

In my opinion; girly riders, beginners, turn signals and a license plated bike, just dont belong in there. Theres plenty of hard enduro stuff there, even the easy stuff is hard. The old de anza track was still there the last time I went out around 2008. And if you can do a full lap and hit all the jumps there, on that old chewed up track, your'e doing pretty good and arent afraid to twist the throttle.

And then theres the 3rd gear pinned side of the road that goes into hemet, where I've personally stabilized quite a few awsomly good bikers and taken them to the hospital because the mx track beat them down. Once I kept a south african pro mxr in traction for about 45 minutes while we waited for an ambulance after he broke his femur. I put my boot on his crotch and pulled his ankle away from him to ease his pain. 

Besides being so treacherous it's a really nice place to ride, surrounded by mountains with plenty of climbs that have never been conquered. This place makes elsinore mx park look like a beverly hills manicured lawn, almost as nice as lacr. So theres lots of harder, do or die climbs and death defying stuff than that the one in El Mirage, thats for sure.

Ive seen a few of the greats doing some amazing climbs and big scary jumps out there in beaumont. Dudes like; micky diamond, emig, mulisha dudes ox and bean, mcgrath, chad reed, & other supercross guys, in addition to meeting nationally ranked womans riders, and also plenty of amazing nobodies that werent into racing at all. I've also had the chance to ride plenty of bikes on those hills as sometimes we would swap for an attempt or two, as we all became more familiar with one another. But, I always had issues with letting someone ride my bike, and usually only when they were wayy better than me. So yeah, I used to be pretty good at running the hills, not great but not bad, and I sometimes rode out there like 3 or 4 times a week! I remember over-hearing that there was some supercross guys that had it in their contract that they were'nt allowed to ride there, because it was so dangerous. 

But that was a long time ago, and i'm a different dude now. I have no desire to risk cartwheeling my hard earned bike down an off camber cliff-face, or get hurt taking do or die jumps in 4th. If I never have to go to the hospital again, I'll be very content in life. I'll take anyone there if you're up to the challenge. But I will probably hold back, and be a tour-guide, and only hit a select few hills and jumps, while you destroy your bike. I also used to be a medic, so I'm pretty good at stabilizing broken bones and doing first aid if required. I make no challenges to anyone about this place, because it is pretty gnarley. But I'll take you and show you around if you want to challenge yourself and if you think you can throw some roost off of those cliffs. Maybe one day, I can even get a gopro and take your pic.

If anybody wants to go there, there are plenty of entrances, some off the 60, a couple off of beuamont blvd,  a few off of the hemet highway that connects beuamont to hemet whatever number that is, and also off of gilman springs rd, I got a friend from compton, that lives right there off of g.s. rd. He's gone from breeding pitbulls to breeding horses. He doesn't ride much. but we could probably stage from his pad. But you probably gotta bring some smoke for him, because that's the gentlemanly thing to do.

I dont want to sound like a dick. But yeah, I'm still not bad at doing hills. I just dont want to get hurt anymore or especially hurt my bike. Maybe I should try and do some of those El Mirage hills at night. I'm sure we have a few more trips out that way while my wife learns to ride. But she doesn't like waiting in the dark      

so...

Btw, how about posting with less caps? 

OKY DOKY:goofy:

BYW bench pressing 255 is not bad. 

Yeah, that was  on my 41st birthday this year, 255 for 5 reps with no spotter.

A few years ago, I got sick of being crippled and weak from nearly  destroying myself on my dirtbike. So I started doing isometrics, and I felt better. Then I started weight training with an ex-marine sgt who helped me. That dude gave me some weight coaching, encouragement, and hope, to fix my broken body. The dude was the homie, of one of my black homies. So, about 3 or 4 of us started exercising, I had a great support group going. We were competitively pushing each other, for self-improvement. Once again blood and sweat brought us together like brothers and we all benefited. 

I never fell in with a mx club, biker gangs yeah, but not mx clubs. If I ever race desert again, big homie blue, wants to go out with me and bbq and stuff while I race, or maybe I'll just kick back with him and drink some 8-ball and Hennesy, and then have our ladies drive us home. I dont drink or smoke anymore but if I ever do again, this dude'll probably be there. and yeah he's a crip, so was the ex marine.

A couple of years ago, my max with a spotter was 315 for 1 rep, homies was 365! I also powercleaned 245 which was the most of my small group of black lifting and sparring buddies. My max on squat was only 245 because my knees have started having issues, and I didnt want to push it. But I still do low weights, high rep squats at least once a week. I have a pretty nice home gym with bars, dumbells, racks, benches, and also a few different bags to beat on. 

Last year, I completed the arnold shwarzenegger bluepint for mass, It took a couple of tries and I've tried doing it again a couple of times but it takes some serious dedication, and it also makes you sleep a lot because it's so fatiguing to the body. It is roughly 3-4 hours of lifting, 6 days a week for anybody that's interested in growing their body.

Since I began exercising, I really don't experience any more pain in my back or shoulders. It makes me feel great again.  I also do hot yoga and lots of stretching to keep me able to walk and function like I do now. I also send lots of time with a foam roller working all of the tightness out. If anyone reading this has any weird pains or aches in their body, or suffers from diabetes, consider weight training and also yoga and foam rolling.

I remember Kelly Slater saying something like he stretches for a couple hours a day, and that if you have sciatica, just stretch it out. well I had sciatica, so I started stretching and it went away. I stretch with a towel around my foot almost daily and I dont limp around as bad as when I dont stretch, but most importantly is that the majority of the pain goes away when I constantly stretch and do light weight training. Ive had issues with joint pain from training heavy, so I try to find a happy medium and keep lots of exercises high at like 15-30 reps. 

If you have diabetes , weight training depletes the sugar in the body, thus constantly flushing the toxins out. And the healthier you get, the healthier you want to be. Especially, when it comes to what you eat, and how much, and how often you eat.  I have diabetes issues, because it runs in my family, and this solves it.

I still regularly put 185-205 on the power-clean bar for reps of 5. But these days I lift alone, because you know how it is, everybody is on different time schedules, and I don't like waiting on others to lift or to eat. When doing power-cleans, I dont let the bar hit the ground, not usually anyways. Because they dont count if your not controlling the weights. You can yell and grunt but don't let the bar touch the ground, or swing too much, but try not to yell either. 

The main reason I do these is because if you can do heavy powercleans, picking up most other men and slamming them on their face is much easier, and it makes you feel more confident in yourself and your abilities. Which is the whole other reason I try to stay sober, gentle, and nice for my family. But life outside of family life, is me against the world.

I ran a concrete business for a while, and sometimes you gotta keep people in their place, especially if they want to try ripping you off. It's hard enough to earn an honest days pay, even when throwing hundred pound sacks of cement around, when there are so many crooks and unscrupulous people out there looking to cheat you. Now other people I work for tend to like to let me speak on their behalf, you know the typical older architect type. Plus not to mention all the crazies i run into tend to stay away as I walk through the valley of the shadow of Los Angeles. There are lots of benefits to exercising and not a lot of downfalls unless you hurt yourself.

OTOH, only when you can knock out a 5 minute plank are we talking hard core!

I have never planked before, but I just did over 2-3/4 minutes before I wussed out. This was the first time that I have ever did the plank.

As soon as I read your post, I tried it, no stretching, no warmup, and in my housecoat and slippers, and on the concrete floor, in my gargae. I tried it before i even had my first cup of the days coffee, before it was even done brewing.

Mann, was I shaking... I felt like a dork...

So, you've given me a new challenge. I'll start doing it everyday and try to add a bit here and there. 5 minutes should be no big deal, give me a little bit of time and I'll let you know when Ive got it for 5 minutes. then maybe I'll add some weights.

Still a little sore from the last dirtbike ride too:ride:

PEACE....

Edited by surfer-dude

Posted (edited)

HEY LOOK WHAT POLISPORT JUST RELEASED FOR THE 2017 RR-S: 

THEY JUST EMAILED ME THIS!!!  

YES!!!

REMEMBER, YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST!

part number: 90749 - black

image001.jpg.71e8221e058165ba09e60b3c50233fdc.jpg

found it in greenland but not around here hmm...

90749.jpg.50ba3cc9ee1d1d929d94ddea563dde6f.jpg

Edited by surfer-dude

It was Fathers Day, so after going to Ports o'call for seafood with my Dad, my wife and kids, and then watching the new Great White Shark horror flick "In the Deep", I made it out to the garage and did a little late night fathers day wrenchin'.

earlier in the day, I picked up some led's at Long Beach truck supply and I tried to install them.

The rear end came out greatGOPR0124.JPG.f9431b1b9807c0ef3983f0bfb2e73baa.JPGGOPR0129.JPG.379a21db5ff6e9946c6430bfd1e4fb62.JPG

but, the front end didnt work out, so I left it stock for now. Evidently, I need a new led compatible relay. So I'll track a new one down and make sure it works before I pull the stock front blinkers off, and then drill holes in the headlight surround for the same style signal lights as the back.

I also drilled out a couple of washersGOPR0128.JPG.17a3ff5aee45390cc86b21ca2cfe2f4c.JPG

And I also pulled something else off. When I do the oil pump gears I'll probably do a delete kit if I can live without it

GOPR0130.JPG.d745c1c647b6693985d42a9fee7dc6a9.JPGGOPR0125.JPG.16e55a2700f55e73607d260bd481948a.JPG

I also removed the charcoal canister and cleaned the air cleaner...

And removed the kickstarter. Like the minimalist LED turn signals. Did you really drill that washer? Looks like works bike stuff, nice.

Posted (edited)

The drilled out washer does look trick.  Super nice job on that.    

Did you NOT need a relay for the rear LED turnsignals?   

Your bike is unbelievably clean, right down to the spaces between the knobs on the tires, how is that even possible?  They are like showroom floor clean/new.  

Edited by Ben500RR-S