HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
roaddog

XR600R D/S Good for long road trips?

2 posts in this topic

Hey I have a '96 XR600, it's like brand new, with a street license, geared a little tall - my question is - if the bike is ridden fairly conservatively, maybe cruising at 65 mph, what might the life expectancy, reliability and maintenance be and how many miles could the motor get before it's worn out or needs any major work? Will it make a good reliable street bike to take road trips on? I was thinking about selling it and buying a KLR650, but I do like my XR600.

I have a '97 XR600R with plates, and while I'm not concerned about the reliability of the motor, I'm not convinced it is a great road trip machine. I have ridden a friend's KLR650, and it is clearly a superior travelling bike. When the trail gets rough, however, there is no contest; the XR is is rock solid and the KLR wallows and bottoms. If I wanted to ride cross country and bomb the odd fireroad, I would choose the KLR. For trail riding and short jaunts on the road, I like my XR. Have you ever thought about an XR650L? It seems like a compromise between the XR600R and the KLR650.