how much do you guys weigh and height?

first time on a 2001 Yz426(rode it about 10 times at about and hour at a time) Dudes, i suck!! was starting to wonder if the bike is out powering me or too much bike. I'm 195lbs at 5'10" (most muscle because of lifting weights all the time)

Really when i was 14-18 had enduros and from then on to now(32yrs old) i had all street bikes(crotch rockets) so really this is my first dirt bike and the sales person and guys i know said you would need the Yz426 vs the Yz250F because of my size.

i just seem to can't get comfortable on the bike, very hard on turns(went to a class and learn the basics of riding,how to turn and stuff like that). seem like i can't keep the front end where i want it. Of course alot of this has been in soft sand riding. I'm not giving up or ready to go to the smaller bike, just looking for advice and encouragement. I've already bent my header bike and fixed it, broke 2 brale levers and got some good scratches. Want to try a hare scramble some day but not really feeling ready.

the bike already has a pro circuit suspension on it and was supposely set up for a 215 lb rider

[ April 24, 2002: Message edited by: 426thumpers ]

Im right at 170lbs and 6' 1" and Im almost 17. I got my 426 when I was 15 and I only weighed 150lbs. I sure got alot of funny looks when I was learning how to ride the 426! But for some reason I dont get those looks anymore ? Later,

Garrett

5'11"/196 lbs. and I own both, 426 and 250F. I LOVE the power of the 426, but sadly, I ride much faster, safer, and longer on the 250F. It makes you a better rider. But what you can do about your situation is, relax! Your just getting back into one tough sport, and on a new bike besides. Just focus on breathing, instead of holding your breath when you twist that throttle! Also, sit way up on that tank before unleashing all of those horses. That, and roll the throttle on, and given enough time, you'll get the hang of it again. Good luck, and may the force be with you! ?

I'm about 5'10" 195# and 54 years old

I use to ocasionaly race hair scrambles

usually got 1st - 3rd. Now I like trail riding

Raced some Motocross usualy got last place

don't like air time (under 3 to 4 feet OK)

I've had and rode a lot of bikes but the

YZ426F is by far the most fun bike to ride

Rich

I am 6'1", 208lbs, (Ask me in 14 days after the Atkins diet) my tarket is to drop 20 lbs idealy.

I am 45 yrs old, and have been in hiates from bike about 10 years, I started riding at 9 on a z50.

I have ridden / raced alot of bikes since then and the YZ is a beast to get used to "Well for me the first three turns"..

All I know is the older I get the Faster I was

Dont worry about it, If this is you first dirt bike welcoe to the real world of Moto-Cycling. Strret is cool but anyone can go fast in a straight line its the turns that make the diff.

You will get used to it, kust take your time and learn to use that Beast power to turn, jump, wheelie and crash :D

I get funny looks too, but its becouse I am so dang funny ...... Looking ?

[ April 20, 2002: Message edited by: EgoAhole ]

426 Thumpers,

These guys have some good advise so far for you. You are a good size for the bike for sure.

I bought a '98400f (new) for my first bike to get back into riding after at lease 15 years off, so I understand what you are saying. I am 35, 5'7" and 180lbs. When I first got on the bike I could only ride for 5 min. and then I was completely tired and arm pumped. Now I can run a race pace hairscramble and I am out there to win, not just survive.

I have found that setting up the bike and dialing it in makes a real big difference especially at first as to how well it responded to me. Here are a couple things that have made a huge difference to me that you should consider trying.

1 - Set the sag on rear end ( very important first step)

2 - Get rid of the stock bars if you have not already and get some higher quality alloy or aluminum bars. Aftermaket bars have a better bend usually (CR high bend is good one to start with).

3 - Test different bar positions, you will be amazed at how sensitive you will be to this.

4 - Tire air pressure will also make a big difference on steering/turning depending on what type of terrain you are on. Less pressure for wet/soft conditions 10-12 lbs, and more for dry hard pack 12-14 etc...

5 - Making small changes (one at a time) to the compression and rebound on the forks and shock also make considerable difference. Record each setting with notes on how it felt to keep track, otherwise you won't remember. A revalve is nice, but maybe wait until later when you know what you are feeling and looking for.

6 - Riding up on the tank when turning and standing on the pegs when not turning is pretty important to that feeling of "becoming one with the bike" The 426 is not at light as other bikes, so if you are sitting down all the time, your weight will make the bike do unpredictable things you don't want it to do and you will use more energy.

7 - Practice and testing will eventually make you love this bike but you must be patient until you get these things I mentioned dialed in.

I dont ride a YZF but maybee i can help you a little. I weigh 135 and am a few inches shy of 6'. I ride an RM 250. At first that YZ is gonna feel strange because your not used to late model bike ergos. Nopremix is right. Do what he says and keep a good cornering tecnique. Get out there and practice. Keep at it and dont give up. Make sure you have fun while your doing it too. ?

NoPremix is spot on. Sit on your tank in the turns. This unloads the rear tire letting it follow the bike instead of pushing it. It also loads the front tire making it bite into the terrain and going where you want it to go. Less air pressure allows the tire to conform to the trail or sand, gripping it better. Just don't go into a rocky area at speed or try a Seth Enslow style jump or you'll bend a rim. I run 8 psi in the sand. I usually run 14 in the desert.

well thanks for all the advice. i've been riding more on the tank lately and i have felt a difference. I'm not ready to give up and want to get to where i can ride the bike and have fun too, not so much a battle. you guys have given me some real good pointers and stuff to think about and changes in my riding style and stuff to my bike.

i'll let you guys know how it goes. I was getting fed up because my girlfriend rides hare scrambles and i felt like i would never be good enough on this bike to do it with her. She rides a Yz250F 2002,( i got it for her instead of an engagement ring) she use to ride a Cr250 and believe it or not at 125lbs, 5'4" she can ride the hell out of it and says the 250F is easier. But we are different kind of riders, i like to be able to throw the bike around and control it but still be good enough to race and she just rides to survive, she knows the CR250 was too much bike but loved the battle.

also, don't get me wrong. i know dirt bike riding it tough, alot tougher then street riding. Just wanted to know if the 426 was going to kick my ass so bad all the time i would never be able to enjoy it and try a hare scramble. But sounds like i just need more practice and defeat the bike

also forgot to tell you guys, i was discouraged last week because i was riding too far back on the tank and went from semi soft sand to soft sand and it jerked my wheel left, got the handle bar in my rib, tossed me over the handle bars, landed on my side and slammed my head. looked up and saw the bike about 8 feet away and layed back down(got in in about 30 seconds but felt like days). knocked the wind out of me and had a headache for 3 days, nice mark on my rib too. I'll tell you what, at 32 yrs old i don't bounce up like i use to. But got back on and figured out i had to ride on the tank more and haven't crashed since. Just thought i would try you guys intead of trial and error. Now i need to invest in a good chest protector, thanks for the help

[ April 20, 2002: Message edited by: 426thumpers ]

hey boys, i'm 18, 5'11' and a whopping 145 pounds. i get some looks, but most of them are lookin at my ass as i pass. ? i have learned to ride with the big boys. its a lot of power but if you respect it and practice with it you will be fine. later

Pete

This is a great thread!!

I am an infrequent poster on this site. However, I read this forum every day. Forgive my typos, spelling and grammer. That is my pet peeve. I have had way too many adult beverages to care..... I bought my 426 at the end of last season and managed to get 2 races in before winter set in. I am 37 years old and have not ridden a moto-x bike in 25 years. I am 5' 10" and 195 #. That is my background.

My intentions when I bought my bike were to enjoy riding a few more years while my son experienced what I only dreamed of when I was his age. I originally intended to buy a YZ250F, but when I hit the local Yamaha dealers, I quickly determined that I could buy a YZ426F cheaper. (Just a matter of supply and demand, 250f being BIKE OF THE YEAR makes it tough to work a deal.) I bought the 426. You can check out my web page (designed by my 14 year old daughter) to learn more about me and my son.

After my first couple of races, I was definitely having the same thoughts as you are. Did I buy WAY TOO MUCH BIKE?

After working out sporadically throughout the winter, I made it to my first race of the year last weekend. Due to a poor turnout, I was forced to race in the OPEN class. I prefer to race in the 30+ class. In a group of 9 riders, I

I managed a 2/3 start in the motos. That may not sound very impressive to you, but that is against 20 year olds riding crf 450's and 2 smoke 250's. Did I mention that this was my 3rd race?

Now, before you think I am bragging, let me say that I ended up DEAD LAST in both motos!! That is not a reflection of rider or bike ability. Certainly reflects rider LACK OF CONDITIONING!!

I was able to hold off those whipper-snappers for 2 of 4 laps, but my desire to NOT jump DOUBLE-TROUBLE prevented a better showing.

Do I regret it? HECK NO!! When I was on the starting gate, I told everyone that I needed to remain healthy so I could make it to work on Monday to support this nasty habit. That is my main objective, remain healthy and enjoy life as long as I can.

Now, to remain objective, I have ridden my cousins 250f. It was very nice!! Not as much power, and I think I could ride it longer before getting as tired. But I also think I would soon be wishing for more power. With each ride, I am getting more comfortable with the 426. It is becoming a part of me...

Last night I went to the local mx. There was a guy approx. 5'10", 280#, riding a 426. He was FLYING!!! I wish I has as much stamina at he! I wish I was a good a rider as well!!

To wrap this thing up, (I know this has been long), let me just say this. The only thing that will make you, or anyone else, comfortable on the 426 is lots of time and practice. You wil not be sorry. Enjoy!!

Dennis

5'11" 185 lbs. Love My 99 yz 400. If you ride single track. Keep your feet on the pegs. That will help you more that you know. I went riding 40 miles today and was with a 250 beginer and I told him the same thing. It will help with balance, and clutch controll. If ya feel the front end going out in the corners, gas it. That Is my motto. When in doubt gas it. It will save you more often than not.

6'/210 lbs. and I would not say I`m a fatty although I could stand to lose about 20-25lbs. I remember working construction for Daniels in the early 80's fairly fresh out of high school and I would watch the laborers running the gas powered tamps(compactors)on the dirt. I was always facinated at how several of the smallest, mousiest?, looking guys there were the best tamp operators on the job. This job had well over 5,000 men(A.E.Staley Plant). At the time I fell into the age catagory of one of the two smartest people in the world, Adolescents and College freshmen, so the actual lesson went unnoticed until a few years later. Actually, i had become aware of this technique in other areas of my life such as bowling, pool etc. it seemed that any time you forced something too hard or too fast like trying to see how hard you could throw the bowling ball with the idea that the harder you throw the ball the more pins you will knock down and the better bowler you will be.WRONG! The harder you smack the cue ball, the more balls you will sink,right? WRONG! Those little skinny fellows running the tamps knew something. They didn`t try to manhandle the tamps and force them to go in directions they were not aimed for. They worked with the tamp, they became one with the tamp, they learned how to balance and let the tamp do the work. So, Onward Luke, and may the force be with you.

6'3" 205. Have you tried lowering the forks in the triple clamps? I run mine down 10mm and the bike is still stable at speed. Weight the tank like was previously said and weight the outside peg. Really concentrate on this as it will magically magnetize the rear tire to the dirt. Slide you butt over to the outside of the bike in corners also. If you get the chance to watch the pros, especially Villumein, you'll notice the body english they use to weight the outside peg on the bike. Practice alot...

PK