Racing start

There are a few variables involved:

Bike size

Your skill level

Dirt or concrete

Dirt consistency

Length of start straight

Me personally, I use 3rd on my 250 2-strokes.  I'm very calm with the clutch, and the 2-stroke is on the pipe before I'm rolling.  My new 350, I use 2nd.  3rd was good, but no room for error.

You'll get lots of advice, and can read articles, but you'll need to practice to see what suites you; and that can change as you get more experience; and even then, you're going to get it wrong sometimes. :ride:

Edited by WALKINGWOUNDED
added info
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, WALKINGWOUNDED said:

There are a few variables involved:

Bike size

Your skill level

Dirt or concrete

Dirt consistency

Length of start straight

Me personally, I use 3rd on my 250 2-strokes.  I'm very calm with the clutch, and the 2-stroke is on the pipe before I'm rolling.  My new 350, I use 2nd.  3rd was good, but no room for error.

You'll get lots of advice, and can read articles, but you'll need to practice to see what suites you; and that can change as you get more experience; and even then, you're going to get it wrong sometimes. :ride:

I'd like to piggy back on this post because I believe it to be on-topic:

How much throttle to use (I'll refer to it as pre-throttle) at start? I suspect it is the same answer (including the last part) as above from WalkingWounded.

I'm inexperienced with starts but here's what I observed/feel: I just switch from a 250 4t to a 450 4t and not-a-big-surprise I find myself using different amounts of throttle. I feel that I used way more pre-throttle on the 250. When I use around the same RPM with the 450 the front lifts too fast for me to control. What I found better with the 450 is to use a slightly lower RPM; Just judging RPM difference from sound and throttle position so may actually be the same but I doubt it; actually judging it more by what I'm able to keep under control. Then I do the normal start launching with clutch release and then continuing to roll on the throttle. This keeps the front wheel in better control (down on the ground).

Any additional advice on judging how much pre-throttle to use?

Last time at the track I set some time aside and practiced starts which I will continue to do.

4 hours ago, GoneDirtBikeN said:

I'd like to piggy back on this post because I believe it to be on-topic:

How much throttle to use (I'll refer to it as pre-throttle) at start? I suspect it is the same answer (including the last part) as above from WalkingWounded.

I'm inexperienced with starts but here's what I observed/feel: I just switch from a 250 4t to a 450 4t and not-a-big-surprise I find myself using different amounts of throttle. I feel that I used way more pre-throttle on the 250. When I use around the same RPM with the 450 the front lifts too fast for me to control. What I found better with the 450 is to use a slightly lower RPM; Just judging RPM difference from sound and throttle position so may actually be the same but I doubt it; actually judging it more by what I'm able to keep under control. Then I do the normal start launching with clutch release and then continuing to roll on the throttle. This keeps the front wheel in better control (down on the ground).

Any additional advice on judging how much pre-throttle to use?

Last time at the track I set some time aside and practiced starts which I will continue to do.

One thing I'm learning to do on my 4-stroke (350) is basically a lot of throttle, and regulate with the clutch.  I had become accustomed to using some throttle, and when the gate dropped, more throttle and clutch together; either can work, but everyone is different.  I think reaction time to gate movement is pretty important too.  If you can get out ahead even a few inches, it can make the difference in the first turn.  Another thing I've learned to do, is start moving the bike into position as soon as you are out of the gate and moving.  I think the tendency is to mostly charge hard to get out front as far as possible, but forget to get into a good first turn position.  I'm 5'7" and dont have to use starting blocks, but sometimes will if I'm on concrete where the bike sits full height.  I personally like a deep rut start.  I can set farther up on the bike, and also the side knobbies can get a little bite too.  But then you have to climb across the gate mechanism from the deep rut.

Set time and practice.......and be able to laugh at yourself.