lowering the wr450

I want to lower mine about 1 inch in seat height. I thought about getting a longer set of dog bones. Does anyone make an after market part. I checked with Tye Davis and Pro-Circuit with negative results. Any suggestions.

Yup... that was me. They said they have licked the WR lowering problem and the links should be out in a couple weeks. I am really interested to find out if they really work. I have my fingers crossed.

Jimbo

Kuba link gave up trying to make a lowering link. I am eagerly waiting on what ZipTy comes out with. You can raise the front forks a bit in the triple clamp but not much. Of course, every little bit helps. Mine is that way. Don't soften the sag too much beyond recommendation. Otherwise you really sacrifice your suspension plushness and balance.

Right Jim-Bo, I don't think its all about how tall you are, I'am 5'11" so the height is o.k. for me, I want to do it because I think it will help the over all handling by lowering the center of gravity. We all know these WR's feel a little top heavy so I think lowering the bike should help.

Back in 2000 I had bought a new YZ426 that was to be used in both woods and track. I am 5'8" at 200lbs(so I am not feeling a bit sorry for any of you whiners). I sent my suspension to Jeremy Wilkey at MX-Tech and he lowered it 3"'s without any cutting and I only bottomed out once trying to jump a double(which I didn't successfully accomplish). I would imagine that at the rate technology increases that there are myriad options available from a myriad companies. I will say though that Jeremy is a great guy to work with and is extremely knowledgeable.

After a while I became a lot more confident in myself and the bike and raised it back to normal height.

Just my 2 1/2 cents.

• 2 weeks later...

I just called Zip ty. Mitch said he was told it was still 2 or 3 weeks out. I asked him if it was just one link that replaced an exsisting link and how much it would lower it, but he didn't know anything about it. thought it would be about the same price as their Magic Link and thats about $185.00

I am 5'7" with a 30" inseam and ride mostly tight trails. My wr450 always felt too tall for me. I was seriously considering getting rid of it for a lower bike (KTM) but figured I would give professional lowering a try before I took such a big loss. So a couple of weeks ago I took my suspension to Devol (http://www.devolracing.com/suspension.htm) to get it lowered 2", revalved, and setup for my weight.

What a difference, it is a new bike. The top heavy feeling is gone and it corners remarkably better. I am amazed a the difference this made to the ride. They did a super job; I wish I had done it last year. It wasn't cheap but it was well worth the money. I am extremely pleased with the result and will definitely be keeping the bike for awhile. If you are frustrated with the height it is well worth looking into. All I have to do now is shorten the kickstand.

• 4 months later...