Top Speed

I was on a dry lake bed in Johnson Valley CA in Feb. My GPS had me at 90.1 My brother was on his KTM450 and blew by me. He said he looked down at his speedometer and saw a "4" but didn't look long enough to view the whole number, for obvious reasons. We figure he was doing 104 but can't verify it. I think it was that 6th gear the KTM has. I can't imagine ever needing that speed again.

Just had my 525EXC up to it's top speed as of yet. Looooong flat fire road wide open in 6th my stock speedo read 96mph and she was screaming pretty good in 6th.Absolutely ripped through the 80's. I dont think there was all that much left in her. Gotta admit it is a E ticket rush though. The CR250 that was with me disappeared in a hurry.

I was on a dry lake bed in Johnson Valley CA in Feb. My GPS had me at 90.1 My brother was on his KTM450 and blew by me. He said he looked down at his speedometer and saw a "4" but didn't look long enough to view the whole number, for obvious reasons. We figure he was doing 104 but can't verify it. I think it was that 6th gear the KTM has. I can't imagine ever needing that speed again.

Unless you did a speedo mod(Synch up gearing with speedo) the speedometer is not accurate after gearing changes. I am guessing that an indicated 104 would maybe be 90 tops. Just my opinion based on street experience.

Unless you did a speedo mod(Synch up gearing with speedo) the speedometer is not accurate after gearing changes. I am guessing that an indicated 104 would maybe be 90 tops. Just my opinion based on street experience.

Well he hasn't done anything to gearing. My speed was measured on a GPS which is pretty accurate and I was topped out on my WR at 90.1 and he flew by me, not just by a little either.

well Friday night at 11:30pm my X GF had the shop demo R1{we work at the same dealership}. she clocked me doing 167km on the packed dirt shoulder next to the highway with a slight head wind {15T CS sprocket}. i must say i have never gone that fast on a dirt bike let alone on dirt at night. needless to say im happy with the wr. at that speed the wind resistance is more then your traction and your rear tire starts spinning just a bit faster then your actually moving. its an amazing rush. im hooked ?:D

oh ya i forgot to mention the suspension works at that speed too. i was amazed how smooth it was.

Correct. You calibrate the speedo to the wheel it is driven from. Gearing only affects motor rpm to wheel. If you are using an electronic with a standard 21" front tire. I have found 2155mm to be fairly accurate.

A buddy of mine was telling me he saw the mid 170's on his R1, but he said he thought the speedo was off on it and he believed he was really doing in the 150's. That is waaaaayyyy out of my comfort zone.

All new Motorcycles from Japan are limited to 186MPH/ 300 KMH. Speedo error is good for about 11%. Even though peeps are seeing 330 plus KMH on their speedo, they are not going that fast. Here is the R1 you should get: 04R1LeftSide1.jpg

[quote Here is the R1 you should get:

that is if you like tupperware torpidos ?.

that aside, i just rode the 04 R1 and the new zx10 {fresh tires & 0km}. WOW. the both fu-king haul ass. kaiw feesl stronger in the power. but the yami puts its power doen better. and is a bit less twitchy.

I went one larger on the counter shaft sprocket with pipe and rejet for Baja and my GPS said 102.6 mph max speed on pavement and 99.3 mph on level dirt road. A little tire slip I think.

Roger

[quote Here is the R1 you should get:

that is if you like tupperware torpidos ?.

that aside, i just rode the 04 R1 and the new zx10 {fresh tires & 0km}. WOW. the both fu-king haul ass. kaiw feesl stronger in the power. but the yami puts its power doen better. and is a bit less twitchy.

"Tupperware Torpedo", Never heard that one before. To each their own... :D

The Kawi makes a slight bit more power (3-4 RWBHP)and weighs a couple pounds (4-6 lbs.) lighter. You stand correct to say that the Yami gets the power down better. Probably why Yami is kicking Kawi's but in racing thus far.

But the Yami feels better between the legs.

All new Motorcycles from Japan are limited to 186MPH/ 300 KMH. Speedo error is good for about 11%. Even though peeps are seeing 330 plus KMH on their speedo, they are not going that fast.

Since when are they limited to 186MPH? ? My buddies stock Hayabusa was clocked at 197MPH!

The speedo on my 600 was reading 154 when I was clocked at 146, so I agree there is error on most speedo's, but it varies bike to bike.