Injury recovery motivation!? Who has been down this road?

So i took a big digger, my worst by far while hitting a booter out in the desert. got cross rutted off the lip and had to bail from about 2 stories high to my feet. Fractured my foot in 9 places brused knee, hip and scrambled organs lol. its been about 3 months now and im starting to walk again and im training along with physical training but this is taking soo long it feels!!!

What did you do to get past your injury?Screenshot_2016-12-31-11-17-11.png

First- I had to accept that recovery was going to take a long time...years in my case.

Second- I had to understand that recovery could be accomplished only through my own effort, persistence and determination are key. 

Third- I had to learn that recovery is not linear. There are good days and bad days. 

Believe in yourself. Healing from a hard crash can be just as hard on your mind as your body. Frustration easily leads to depression. Depression promotes isolation. Isolation has no positive outcome. Unfortunately, there is no way of knowing if you will make it all the way back or if you will have limitations, only time can answer that. Don't rush things, don't take chances that will set your recovery back...additional injury is a no no.

Don't worry about recovery time, worry about recovery quality. The more you put in to it the more you will get out of it.

Just my 2 cents.

The hardest thing for me after my last 3 wrecks that resulted in broken body parts was getting my confidence back when I started riding again.  It wasn't so bad after the shoulder surgery, not too bad after the broken clavicle and surgery, but for some reason the badly broken wrist and severely bruised ribs mishap have taken a toll on my confidence.  Its been a year since I've been back on the bike, and my sons comment to me that I seem stiff and unsure a lot, they call it my riding phobias.  So, my point here is do the PT, I am a big proponent of it, you can actually come back stronger.  But, figure out the mental aspects, for me, that is apparently the hard part this time.

Good luck in your recovery.

The onset of winter slowed my recovery somewhat. Injured in late October, surgery, rod, screws, etc.., all went well enough. But by the time I was released to full weight bearing on my leg, it was mid December, and the weather had turned winter nasty. Just now starting to warm up enough that I can look at getting more steady bicycle miles and get on with my training. First order of business of course was to get back to work, which happened January 2, so that has helped with the initial strengthening of my leg, but still have a lot to go.

As for riding the dirt bike, I can start it now, but haven't tried riding it other than around the yard a little. Will go to the woods in another week or two and see just where I am with that. Fingers crossed that I don't run into any mental issues with riding.. 

Getting confidence back is a hard road. The last mean crash I had was six months  ago when I twisted one knee really bad. Dont laugh,  I know its nothing compared to you guys. The knee still isn't fully recovered, doesn't take much to get it hurting. Since then I'm not willing to take many chances. Little by little, it's getting better though, no guts no glory right?

A long time ago (1979) I had a life altering accident that was not my fault. I was so angry about the whole accident and used that energy to motivate myself to near 100% again. The doctors didn't think I would survive the night and if I did, I would be handicapped the rest of my life.

Luckily, determination, prayer and hard work exercising and doing PT, changed my prognosis and things worked out pretty good. A positive attitude can do a lot when your body is injured!

Never give up, fight the urge to settle and get healthy again.

I drink a lot, a short memory is essential for racing, marriage and quality golf. I don't really remember anything for very long.... what was the question again?

20 hours ago, NYMXer said:

Luckily, determination, prayer and hard work exercising and doing PT, changed my prognosis and things worked out pretty good. A positive attitude can do a lot when your body is injured!

Never give up, fight the urge to settle and get healthy again.

A positive attitude makes all the difference! Make hard work, persistence and determination your friends.

I just decided it wasn't worth it any longer & bought a wake surfing boat.

Trying to take small victory's. Dam thing is sore every day and they say it will be and swollen for 12 months. But like you said there are good days and bad days. On the bad days i wonder if it feels like there arr long term damage or not. My job requires me to be an athlete and i worry o wont be able to keep up after i heal.

My biggest worry is whether everything is going well. Get a doc who gives you feedback, positive and negative, so you know where you stand. Tryst your doc and do his program. He's not new to this, but you are. Just put in the work and the outcome will be the best it can be. 

Hey, I am sorry to hear about your injury. I am just recovered from a horrific year myself.

I had a few injuries, and was diagnosed with Polycythemia last year. It's taken a while, but after 10 month out of the gym I found myself recovered and in a rut. For me, I feared I was as close as I would ever get to my dream. Which was to compete in strongman on a national level.

I had no motivation whatsoever. And I as I sat there and got more and more out of shape. I bean to get disgusted with myself. I put free clothes, began to undo all of the hard work that I had done. Over the past three years of dedicated training

I finally about 3 months ago decided to do something about and got back into the gym. I bought a mountain bike, I started meal prepping again, and got back into my old routine

Riding my dirt bike, is something I haven't done much in the last 10yrs. This something that has helped me. I missed it, I talked about it, but it's something to help me focus on getting back into shape.

I couldn't fit into my old riding gear, it started there. Then after dropping 20lbs I decided I wanted to try and lose another 20lbs. Then I wanted to start lifting again.

I just took small steps and tried to occupy my mind. I knew I couldn't jump right back into it. I had to ease into it. Idk if my story will help you, but I hope you get back to riding again. I hope you come back twice as strong as you were before your injury.

On March 31, 2017 at 5:57 PM, HeavyRotation said:

I drink a lot, a short memory is essential for racing, marriage and quality golf. I don't really remember anything for very long.... what was the question again?

Yes I just compartmentalize thoughts of previous injuries, shut down the brain, and live in the retarded moment.

Put the baggage in a box, lock it, throw away the key. 

Thinking of bad things that could happen makes bad things happen. 

Yes I just compartmentalize thoughts of previous injuries, shut down the brain, and live in the retarded moment.
Put the baggage in a box, lock it, throw away the key. 
Thinking of bad things that could happen makes bad things happen. 

I had completely forgotten this thread.

^^^ True.

Watch fast riders on video. Visualize yourself doing it. Your brain makes a copy every time you watch it. Your brain makes a copy every time you watch it. Your brain makes a copy every time you watch it. Yep.

Its all easier if you're legit crazy too.

2 hours ago, HeavyRotation said:

Its all easier if you're legit crazy too.

Kris Meeke is one of those guys. Dude crashes a ton and it has no effect on him lmao. Goofy as hell, somethings just not right with that mans brain..

image.jpeg

Edited by Casing-daily