Millennium Cylinder Satisfied?

Damn. That's right on the port though I'm sure that didn't help. Ugh. I already cleaned the cylinder, gonna oil it and see if I can get the ring to hang any. I hate having to do this...

Yes, and to be fair my power valve intruded and caused the problem so it wasn't really their fault. But i did have several little porous spots on my first one. My latest one looked really, really good.
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, HeavyRotation said:

That passed QC though, I mean, someone looked at that and said, "Yup, good enough, ship it" and charged his CC.

Kind of trying to stay out of this because OP said he got a bad one from Langcourt also.

I did get one from Langcort that had a slight score on it from chamfer dremel tool, (couldn't feel with fingernail, just a slight scuff on bottom of port). I called immediately and spoke directly to the guy that put the QC pass tag on it. He told me send it back and we will make it right, but I passed it because it's below the rings. I masured it, and sure enough it was, so I ran it. This is in my sons 250 with over 30 hours now and still running strong. 

So, what I am saying is, they should take it back without a problem, and pay shipping both ways. That's what langcourt offered me. But, I have had 10 jugs go through them. So they know my business name. 

Edited by Gary YZDOC

24 minutes ago, bcssrmz250 said:

It's in now. I'm tired of dilly dallying. 3 heat cycles and its good. Haven't actually ridden yet, so we'll see tomorrow.

Hope it all goes good for you. I would check it at 15-20 hours. Just buy some new head O-rings and give it an inspection. If it's all good, run it as usual. ?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/24/2017 at 8:16 PM, bcssrmz250 said:

It's in now. I'm tired of dilly dallying. 3 heat cycles and its good. Haven't actually ridden yet, so we'll see tomorrow.

Hi bcssrmz250,

Sorry I just saw this. I understand the cylinder has already been installed. No idea what you were told when you called our sales department, but based on the pics, it looked like normal casting porosity. If you have any issues what so ever, contact me personally and we will repair the cylinder for free. 

Chip Spalding

chip@mt-llc.com

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Chip@MillenniumTech said:

Hi bcssrmz250,

Sorry I just saw this. I understand the cylinder has already been installed. No idea what you were told when you called our sales department, but based on the pics, it looked like normal casting porosity. If you have any issues what so ever, contact me personally and we will repair the cylinder for free. 

Chip Spalding

chip@mt-llc.com

Thanks for your support Chip.  I never received a call back from the sales department.  Motor has been running fine so far with maybe 5hrs on it.  I'm not sure how to truly distinguish between a chip and pitting.  IMO it was too big to be porosity, but I may be wrong.  We'll see how the long term holds out.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bcssrmz250 said:

Thanks for your support Chip.  I never received a call back from the sales department.  Motor has been running fine so far with maybe 5hrs on it.  I'm not sure how to truly distinguish between a chip and pitting.  IMO it was too big to be porosity, but I may be wrong.  We'll see how the long term holds out.

Its hard to tell from a picture....and its already in the motor. We got you back either way. Thanks for the business and sorry for the lack of communication. 

• Like 2

I just got my 295 cylinder back from MT a couple weeks ago and had almost the exact same 2 dots that you could feel with a pencil or a scribe. They had to run mine through plating 3 times before it passed QC so when I received it and it had to 2 imperfections in the plating I was kinda pissed. I called them and emailed pics of it. They got back to me and said it would be fine. I also texted the pics to Derek Harris and he said they were fine. So I put it together and broke it in. Seems fine now but I only have 1 hour of break in on the motor I got hurt and haven't been able to ride any. 

Right...so Porosity happens when air gets in the casting, or more accurately, when air doesn't get out of the casting. It happens in ALL CASTINGS. Sometimes these bubbles show up in the bore. Plating will not "fix" these tiny bubbles and quit a bit of porosity is normal and acceptable with no effect on performance and reliability.

The difficult part for us is that we didn't make the casting (the OEM did), plating won't fix the porosity, and when porosity shows up the customer interprets as a plating issue. We could fix all porosity issues before they leave, but it would be VERY expensive and most wouldn't want to pay to fix something that is not a problem. 

Make sense? 

• Like 2