Lightning

Dear,

I want to light up my Yz426f 2001. Now my question is how to do it. I have led head light, led tail light, hydraulica switch braken and Horn. Now can i do iT without changing the stator? So with A regulator and a switch A-C/dc? I am not regular to electric wiring diagram from moto's and i want to learn it

Thanks for the answers already!

Kind regards

Stone

If you can find a place to mount a decent sized battery, you can run your lights on battery alone and charge it after every ride. There simply isn't enough juice produced by the factory stator to do anything but run your ignition system. If you choose to go this route it may be a good idea to have an additional battery with you while on a ride especially at night. Without it being rewound for high output or replacing your stator with a WR and flywheel, there is no way to change it. I have read that the rewound stator will produce 35 Watts on a good day, enough to do pretty much absolutely nothing. I replaced my yz400f stator and flywheel with a WR and It's just fine. I hope this is helpful.

• Like 1

If you can find a place to mount a decent sized battery, you can run your lights on battery alone and charge it after every ride. There simply isn't enough juice produced by the factory stator to do anything but run your ignition system. If you choose to go this route it may be a good idea to have an additional battery with you while on a ride especially at night. Without it being rewound for high output or replacing your stator with a WR and flywheel, there is no way to change it. I have read that the rewound stator will produce 35 Watts on a good day, enough to do pretty much absolutely nothing. I replaced my yz400f stator and flywheel with a WR and It's just fine. I hope this is helpful.

Thanks can you give me specs with stator of with year of the wr i can use. Can i also run iT on the yzf cdi.

I haven't got this application figured quite out just yet otherwise I would send you a link for the thread of modifications needed to use the WR stator but search WR 426 stator on a yz 400f. And you should find the steps and which to do it or if you're not very comfortable with electrical some places such as Ricky Stator or I think even Baja Designs will do it for you but yes with those modifications which is called a ground float you can run your ignition system and have lighting. Something that was a pain was it requires a special tool to remove your flywheel from your wisey and a different tool to pull the WR flywheel off of your yz see if you need to get it off as the yz flywheel is threaded and the WR is not. From what research that I did the wr400 and 426 flywheel stator combinations work interchangeably. I'm pretty sure that if you get with Ricky Stator you can buy a flywheel and stator from them and I think it's brand new and I'm pretty sure they will do the ground float for you but it's a little bit more expensive than buying a used part but probably not as risky. My coil was pretty toasted when I got it off of eBay and it's off to be rewound as we speak by Ricky Stator. Best of luck to you

• Like 1

I haven't got this application figured quite out just yet otherwise I would send you a link for the thread of modifications needed to use the WR stator but search WR 426 stator on a yz 400f. And you should find the steps and which to do it or if you're not very comfortable with electrical some places such as Ricky Stator or I think even Baja Designs will do it for you but yes with those modifications which is called a ground float you can run your ignition system and have lighting. Something that was a pain was it requires a special tool to remove your flywheel from your wisey and a different tool to pull the WR flywheel off of your yz see if you need to get it off as the yz flywheel is threaded and the WR is not. From what research that I did the wr400 and 426 flywheel stator combinations work interchangeably. I'm pretty sure that if you get with Ricky Stator you can buy a flywheel and stator from them and I think it's brand new and I'm pretty sure they will do the ground float for you but it's a little bit more expensive than buying a used part but probably not as risky. My coil was pretty toasted when I got it off of eBay and it's off to be rewound as we speak by Ricky Stator. Best of luck to you

Thank you very much!!

8 minutes ago, deweym21 said:

Just be mindful that it produces 30 watts on a good day at high rpm.  As long as your led lights are not very demanding, you may have enough power, but this is a budget buy, keeping the factory flywheel is a major plus to this decision.  Pleas keep us updated on how it works for you.

Not technically accurate... 

Just be mindful that it produces 30 watts on a good day at high rpm.  As long as your led lights are not very demanding, you may have enough power, but this is a budget buy, keeping the factory flywheel is a major plus to this decision.  Pleas keep us updated on how it works for you.

I Will i am also searching for wr stator and flywheel but hard to find :/

14 minutes ago, Monk said:

I was looking into doing this and they talked me out of it and stated almost that exactly.  So the people that make the "high output stator" know more about it than I do, so there you go.  I went and got a used wr flywheel and stator, and ground floated it and now its cooked because it was old and weak.  i am now getting it rewound by them.  Moral of the story is if they have a new one, buy it and be done with it or not.  I am wishing I did.  It may not be a deal, but it will get the job done as well as be hopefully a little more reliable.

52 minutes ago, Monk said:

How so?  Using a rewound YZ stator produces a rough maximum of 30-35W of AC current (about 15-20% less if converted to DC with a full wave rectifier), and leaves the ignition to operate with half of the coil capacity it originally had, which cuts into its reliability rather sharply.  It's definitely not a good approach, particularly when the WR conversion is available as a bolt-on for the 400/426 models.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, deweym21 said:

I was looking into doing this and they talked me out of it and stated almost that exactly.  So the people that make the "high output stator" know more about it than I do, so there you go.  I went and got a used wr flywheel and stator, and ground floated it and now its cooked because it was old and weak.  i am now getting it rewound by them.  Moral of the story is if they have a new one, buy it and be done with it or not.  I am wishing I did.  It may not be a deal, but it will get the job done as well as be hopefully a little more reliable.

I am not questioning or doubting the information supplied by Ricky Stator, I challenged what you said. 

2 minutes ago, grayracer513 said:

How so?  Using a rewound YZ stator produces a rough maximum of 30-35W of AC current (about 15-20% less if converted to DC with a full wave rectifier), and leaves the ignition to operate with half of the coil capacity it originally had, which cuts into its reliability rather sharply.  It's definitely not a good approach, particularly when the WR conversion is available as a bolt-on for the 400/426 models.

Saying "30 watts on a good day at high rpm" is not 'technically' accurate. It's in implied the stator makes various power on various days. And saying you need to be at high rpm is also wrong. I don't believe full output is reached at 11k, I imagine it's closer to 5-7k at max which isn't very high at all... 

1 minute ago, Monk said:

Saying "30 watts on a good day at high rpm" is not 'technically' accurate. It's in implied the stator makes various power on various days. And saying you need to be at high rpm is also wrong. I don't believe full output is reached at 11k, I imagine it's closer to 5-7k at max which isn't very high at all... 

The object of your first objection is apparently the use of a figure of speech used to emphasize the weakness of the setup, which isn't always capable of keeping the lights lit at idle at all.  And while 5K RPM isn't high in terms of the power range of a YZF, it's too far up the scale to be very practical, either.  If the gist of his post was that rewound YZ stators are, to use a technical term, "lame", I'm in full agreement.  

• Like 1