Gus 524

Clutch wont adjust/work properly

3 posts in this topic

Hey Thumper Talk community 

I've been all over the forums trying to find out what is going on with my 09 drz400sm clutch. So during the end last riding season I noticed my clutch lever started feeling poor. Just didn't give a very good feel but still functioned just fine. I thought the lever just needed to be adjusted. So in preparing for this up coming riding season here in Minnesota I started to adjust my clutch lever. No matter how I adjusted it at the lever/perch/cable area I could not get it dialed in. I then proceed to work on the clutch arm and see if that was the problem. From what I was reading the clutch throwout post needs to be rotated all the way counterclockwise, then the arm place in either the original position or parallel to the bike. I feel like I have tried every position and every time it leads little to no room in the cable to adjust it at the perch and wont fully disengage the transmission. The clutch lever has great feel but no slack in the line and will barely allow me to rotate the rear tire while the lever is in and in gear.(not fully disengaging) 

I started to think something inside the clutch was wrong even though it worked fine last season. I followed this clutch inspection guide and everything is in tolerance.

I'm kind of stumped. I even tried to put everything back to how it was last season to see if i could get something but no luck. I have zeta levers and a replacement cable (original cable snapped). Both worked fine in the past.

Let me know if you have any suggestions. I appreciate your time.

-Justin

20170314_224439828_iOS.jpg

20150920_175627975_iOS.jpg

Posted (edited)

Good looking bike.

I had this issue when replacing a clutch cable. I followed Eric's guide too (placing the arm at 6 o'clock), but got better results with it moved 1 notch to the right, about 4 o'clock. And IIRC I didn't have much free cable at the lever, but tighten the the inline adjuster all the way for as much as possible. When you get in the lever, tighten it by spreading out the inline adjuster. At first the clutch wasn't fully disengaging, but somehow after riding it started to completely disengage. No idea how.

Now the lever is really soft and can completely disengage before getting to the handlebar. I also have Zeta levers and stock cable so I know it's possible!

Edited by HansLanda
1 person likes this

Thanks for the advice. 

I see what your saying about the adjusters and position of the arm, ill give it a shot. Maybe I will take it for a test ride with the clutch being a little goofy and see if it starts to fix itself.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By ChucklesC10
      Hello everyone, I'm new to Thumpertalk so i apologize in advance if this isn't the correct forum to be on. I recently got my front tire changed on my sumo and i noticed the wheel didn't look right after install. I pushed it around a little bit and it sounded/felt like something was rubbing. The wheel looks incredibly close to the fork and I'm not sure what i messed up. Im a newbie bike owner so I'm assuming i missed something simple. Thanks in advance. Pics of front wheel : http://imgur.com/a/rZOdv 
    • By XR400EX
      Hey guys, just got a new clutch cable for the XR and found that I may have routed in incorrectly.  Since I got the bike with no clutch cable on it to begin with I am not entirely sure just how it is supposed to be routed.  Right now I have it routed through the handle bars and down the right side of the bike in between the headers.  The problem is that it is tight around turns and rubs on the header as well.  Is it supposed to be centered along the frame rail with the oil lines?  If there a place which has the location for this that would be great to know.  I have looked in the manual but have come up with nothing so any help is appreciated!
    • By XR400EX
      Hey guys, just got a new clutch cable for the XR and found that I may have routed in incorrectly.  Since I got the bike with no clutch cable on it to begin with I am not entirely sure just how it is supposed to be routed.  Right now I have it routed through the handle bars and down the right side of the bike in between the headers.  The problem is that it is tight around turns and rubs on the header as well.  Is it supposed to be centered along the frame rail with the oil lines?  If there a place which has the location for this that would be great to know.  I have looked in the manual but have come up with nothing so any help is appreciated!
    • By Dth0006
      I'm sorry if this is something I could of looked up just didn't know exactly what to look up.  I am new to the dirt bike world and am having a problem with my 07 230.  I recently bought the bike and installed a power up carb kit on it.  Yesterday I was herding cows and somewhat noticed the bike was acting like i was never in the right gear.  I put the bike up to mess with it later. That afternoon I pulled the bike out for a little ride maybe 15 min and had a straight away coming back to my vehicle and decided to stretch it out.  I guess it was rev limiting and by the time I got back to my truck it felt like the transmission wasn't pulling at all. Tried to put it back on my truck and it didn't have enough power to drive up the ram in first on the bed of my truck.  I am guessing it's the clutch/clutch plates because I can move through the gears easily just didn't have power. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 
      Thanks 
    • By MattyYZ250
      Hi All!
      I've had a read across the forum but would love it if someone with more knowledge than myself (very easy lol) could give me some advice.
      Ive just bought myself a 2013 beta 300RR factory edition.

The issue with my clutch is when i pull the clutch lever in it never completely disengages, the bike still tries to move forward slightly or stall. Which makes downhill decents very interesting. From what I've read i should start with bleeding the system? Does this sound like it could be the issue?

Secondly the bike is fitted with a fan (not sure if this is factory fitted or not?). I went for my first proper ride on the bike on Sunday and when we stopped halfway the fan turned on... and never stopped. It went on for about 30 minutes or so after i stopped. I tried unplugging it and then plugging back in but it continued to spin until my batter died. Should i fit a simple switch to avoid this maybe?

Thank you all in advance!