Gus 524

Clutch wont adjust/work properly

3 posts in this topic

Hey Thumper Talk community 

I've been all over the forums trying to find out what is going on with my 09 drz400sm clutch. So during the end last riding season I noticed my clutch lever started feeling poor. Just didn't give a very good feel but still functioned just fine. I thought the lever just needed to be adjusted. So in preparing for this up coming riding season here in Minnesota I started to adjust my clutch lever. No matter how I adjusted it at the lever/perch/cable area I could not get it dialed in. I then proceed to work on the clutch arm and see if that was the problem. From what I was reading the clutch throwout post needs to be rotated all the way counterclockwise, then the arm place in either the original position or parallel to the bike. I feel like I have tried every position and every time it leads little to no room in the cable to adjust it at the perch and wont fully disengage the transmission. The clutch lever has great feel but no slack in the line and will barely allow me to rotate the rear tire while the lever is in and in gear.(not fully disengaging) 

I started to think something inside the clutch was wrong even though it worked fine last season. I followed this clutch inspection guide and everything is in tolerance.

I'm kind of stumped. I even tried to put everything back to how it was last season to see if i could get something but no luck. I have zeta levers and a replacement cable (original cable snapped). Both worked fine in the past.

Let me know if you have any suggestions. I appreciate your time.

-Justin

20170314_224439828_iOS.jpg

20150920_175627975_iOS.jpg

Good looking bike.

I had this issue when replacing a clutch cable. I followed Eric's guide too (placing the arm at 6 o'clock), but got better results with it moved 1 notch to the right, about 4 o'clock. And IIRC I didn't have much free cable at the lever, but tighten the the inline adjuster all the way for as much as possible. When you get in the lever, tighten it by spreading out the inline adjuster. At first the clutch wasn't fully disengaging, but somehow after riding it started to completely disengage. No idea how.

Now the lever is really soft and can completely disengage before getting to the handlebar. I also have Zeta levers and stock cable so I know it's possible!

Edited by HansLanda
1 person likes this

Thanks for the advice. 

I see what your saying about the adjusters and position of the arm, ill give it a shot. Maybe I will take it for a test ride with the clutch being a little goofy and see if it starts to fix itself.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By ty_gto
      I am selling some parts from my 1996 XR600R. Everything was removed from a running bike and is good usable condition. Wasn't able to upload all of the photos, so just message me if you'd like to see anything specific. All prices are OBO+shipping 

Supermoto wheels $500
      Full FMF exhaust $300  *Sale Pending*
      HyperCo 600 lb/in spring $50
      Factory Wheels $350
      Oversized Clarke tank $150
      Acerbis supermoto fender $10
      Baja Designs headlight $55
      Aluminum rotor and rear caliper guard $30 *Sale Pending*
      Stock seat w/ gripper cover (no rips or tears) $100
      Stock side number plates (some scratches) $40
      Brand new Works Connection frame guards $65
      Right side WC frame guard $20
      K&N air filter $25
      Black mudflap $10
    • By wyattyz125
      I've been having some issues with with my 2000 yz125, first problem i need a new clutch basket and plates and was wondering what years share the same style of plates and basket. Next, i had the bike out a few times and its been ridden hard going through gears and high rpms but its running really rich. Its blowing oil out the tailpipe all over the back tire and swingarm. I mix the fuel at 32:1 and am not sure what the problem is?  
    • By JungleDeath
      Feeling the need to make my DRZ400sm more dirt worthy. I still need to commute, errand, adv, general everyday use. Was strongly considering going to a 2.5" (max) wide 19" front rim for better dirt-worthy steering especially in sandy situations. Currently on Shinko 705's and OE 17's. The rear is fine, the front is not. I have bicycle wheel building background so I was going to rebuild a 19" rim to the OE hub with new spokes and nipples. 
      Questions:
      Does anyone here have any experience on any bike with a 19/17 combo? Love to hear.
      Can you really use a rear 19" mx wheel and re-lace it to the front hub?
    • By moto349
      Slightly used set of DNA Racing supermoto wheels with a set of Continental Tires mounted on them. Removed from a 2017 Husqvarna FC 450. Will work with KTM's as well. 
      Front: J17 x MT3.50
      Rear: J17 x MT4.25
      Tires are in great condition. Rims are straight with no flat spots or issues. 
      Located just north of Houston, Texas. Can ship.
      $750 OBO 
      Email: Mjwilcox4490@gmail.com
    • By Brandon1432
      Hello all, I just recently bought a 1999 Husqvarna WR250, It has some problem with the clutch, so its got a new clutch cable which i have no issues with, but when I start the bike and put it into 1st it will stall unless im giving it some gas, as soon as I am riding and stop giving it gas even with clutch pulled in it will die unless im in 'N', and sometimes not every time but pretty often when i go into first and give it some gas again with the clutch lever pulled in I will roll forward. So im pretty new to dirt bikes and such, but i've read up online and some people it say a plate in the clutch area can get chewed up and it won't disengage properly, some say i need a new clutch, or an adjustment somewhere else, so finally my questions
      -Is there an adjustment not related to the clutch cable that i can try to make?
      -parts for my bike seem few and far between is there a bike out there that has the same clutch so if i need new plates and such i can get them from another bike?
      Seriously thanks for any help, looking forward to fixing this and really enjoying some dirt biking!! Thanks.