Tubliss put me in the nut house

I have always had great things to say about Tubliss. The product has worked well.... until now.  I decided to put tubliss in my new bike for several reasons. Able to run low pressure, 180% rimlock and to keep from banging my rims at low pressure. The front went on great, like I expected because I had done it several times before. The rear was tough. Everything seemed good. Everything held air, but when I went to check the pressure in the inner tube, looking for 100psi, the moment I put the checker over the stem, it acted as if it busted. Nutech quickly sent me replacement. I decided to fix it today. I began by lubing everything good. I knew from videos that you have to be careful as you remove the tire not to grab the orange liner. It would help if the tape were not an orange/red color. But I took my time. 3 tire irons are not easy when your trying not to grab the inner. I was patient. After awhile I almost had it off when I noticed I had damaged my tire bead, trying so hard not to grab the inner that I had not gotten a good bite on the tire, thus possibly ruined the tire bead . This p1ssed me off. Then I notice a deformity from what I assume was the bead lock. This made matters worse for my anger management . Then I began to try to remove the orange bladder trying hard not to damage the inner tube because I wanted to see where the leak was. After awhile, my patience was wearing. Then I began to see what was looking like damage to the orange liner as I was removing it. Realizing that I would never reuse it because the labor of removing it again if it failed was not worth it. After 1 hour, I got so p1ssed that I just lost it. I got a knife and started cutting it off. It really made me lose it when the knife would not cut through.  No more finesse, no more trying to protect it, cussing every breath. Anyone  seeing me now would run hide. What is it with an 18 inch Tubliss???? Maybe someone has done it... but I will never plan on a reuse of the inner on an 18 again. Disposable at best. The Tubliss instructions show 2 examples of damage. Both my tire bead and inner are worse.  Maybe deformity is not so critical but it would seem that the design of the system requires no deformity in order to seal. I can't decide, buy another at $90 and consider them disposable or look at other options. Functionality of the product is great, installation,  good so far on 19 and 21 but the 18..... why so much harder? Removal.....Mercy, scares me. I have a 21 on another bike to repair. Wonder if it is going to be the same?

Only removed one once, don't  recall it being any issue, just work it off like a tire, ending at the rim lock, little nicks and such don't matter, just ignore them. I run exclusively used tires on mine that have bead damage and big smashed spots from rim locks, no issue when you run a bit of slime.

I think if you call Tubliss, they will sell you just the red liner for about $50-60.  That is what I have heard anyways, check in with them, and keep us updated.

I bought into the hype and messed with tubliss for a while and came to the conclusion that it's an unreliable gimmick type deal. I don't like running pressure that low anyway so to me it makes no sense.

There's just three more things that can go wrong with that system, the liner, the tube, and the tire. 

Id just run a bib or normal hd tube if your not getting flats...

Operator error the system works great. 

The 18 is so much harder than the 21. You can almost do the 21 without a tool, probably can without a tool. But the 18, is tough

15 minutes ago, stevethe said:

Operator error the system works great. 

Agreed.... Take a step back, crack a beer, relax and then go at it.

5 minutes ago, Truck216 said:

Agreed.... Take a step back, crack a beer, relax and then go at it.

Beer 🍻 naw have one of these, wake up in the morning and make it happen. 

IMG_3608.JPG

dbl post

Edited by 1gr8bldr

You guys ever removed an 18"????. I expect someone to post soon in agreement of how much more force is needed.  I'm not saying it can't be done and requires cutting. I am saying careful attention might still lead to deformity of the orange liner because tension is so  high. Not anything like the 21. I have another ordered. Since install is so easy, I will do it again, but I have no confidence of ever removing it able to be reused. To much of a time investment for do overs

Edited by 1gr8bldr

For me, the 18" is easier than the 21" - I have used mine on 3 different bikes now and lost track of how many tire changes... Follow the directions to the letter and it will all goes smooth, I pull them out every tire change.  And if you call nuetech I would bet they can help you figure out what point you missed so it goes smooth in the future.

I've heard of the tubeless system but never really investigated, do you still run a normal tire just a different tube system?

have done 21" & 18" a few times now and haven't had issues. I had a little bit of trouble the first time I ever installed a tubliss (which was an 18") but after figuring it out, I can take them on and off with out any issues. I take them out for the winter with my studded tires. Took the studded tires off a few weeks ago and put tubliss back in front and rear, no problems. 

1 minute ago, Smoking 2's said:

I've heard of the tubeless system but never really investigated, do you still run a normal tire just a different tube system?

You run a normal tire. instead of an inner tube that is a bladder for the tire, there is a small shielded high pressure tube that locks the bead to the rim and seals the tire/rim. This allows you to run a tube type tire as a tubeless tire, which makes field repairs very easy. You can also run extremely low tire pressure since the bead is locked to the rim. You can ride out with a flat since the tire wont come off the wheel. 

The product is nuetech tubliss, look it up, good stuff

6 minutes ago, Smoking 2's said:

Great product, some have had issues with installation. Usually user error. Removal is tough on an 18. The idea is that you can run lower tire pressure with the tubliss. Works like a 180 degree rimlock. You can continue riding if you get a puncture with most tires. The inner liner expands and pushes the tire bead to seal. 

34 minutes ago, JPD855 said:

For me, the 18" is easier than the 21" - I have used mine on 3 different bikes now and lost track of how many tire changes... Follow the directions to the letter and it will all goes smooth, I pull them out every tire change.  And if you call nuetech I would bet they can help you figure out what point you missed so it goes smooth in the future.

Even slavens racing mentions the 18 being harder in his video on tubliss

Well I will never try one. I already have anger problems and don't need them to be any worse. HD tubes front and rear with 11 psi in both and I get maybe 1 or 2 pinch flats a season.

Installation is a breeze, no harder than installing a tire

14 minutes ago, ScootMcGoot said:

Well I will never try one. I already have anger problems and don't need them to be any worse. HD tubes front and rear with 11 psi in both and I get maybe 1 or 2 pinch flats a season.

The issue with removal is that the inner and tire share the same drop center  in the rim. Thus the tire does not want to find the drop center, so hooking it, the tire, with a tire iron is harder because it is tighter, and  it's harder because you have to hook the tire without hooking the inner. And they are tight together because you just pressed it down when you inserted the tool. You have to look in and watch. Normal lighting is almost not enough. For me, it requires 3 pre set tire irons in order to get one started. After initial start, I can continue with two. But the initial requires three for me because with two, if you get it started with two, then you have to pull one under pressure, and reinsert under pressure. Reinsert under pressure guarantees you have not visible verified that the liner is safe. And with three, preset, they tend to move under their own weight as you start the first one or two. By the time you get to the third, it is grabbing the inner and you have to let off the other two and start over. Frustrating. 

I have had some 18" tires go on easy and some really hard.  I think the tire you are using may be the difference between you struggling and others saying it is easy.

I just put on a MotoZ 130/90-18 that seemed like a 17" tire.  I felt like I had been in a fight after I got that one on.

31 minutes ago, wielywilly-g said:

I have had some 18" tires go on easy and some really hard.  I think the tire you are using may be the difference between you struggling and others saying it is easy.

I just put on a MotoZ 130/90-18 that seemed like a 17" tire.  I felt like I had been in a fight after I got that one on.

Thank you. So, I'm not crazy.... maybe a little. You bring up a valid point. This rim and this tire bead shape is different than my other bikes. I'm going out to the shop to verify the tire bead difference. I think it has something to do with the tire being a true tubless tire??? Maybe someone can explain?

Edited by 1gr8bldr