6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

First i want to thank everyone for their input into the vast amount of knowledge that can be found on this site. It makes life a bit easier and interesting for people like me.

MY question is about fitting a ltz400(or klx400)cylinder head onto a drz400. I've searched the forum quite a bit and need to be sure a couple of things.

1. I've read that the ltz400 head is a direct fit for the drz but i would need to plug the manual decomp if i'm putting the cylinder head on a drz400s model. How exactly is this done?I'm assuming the ltz400 head has manual decomp

2.If i were to buy a ltz400 head to put onto a drz400s, would it make a difference whether i bought the assembly parts (cams,valves,shims,springs,etc) for the drz or for the ltz?

3.I've read that the klx400 head is a direct fit also. Is there a specific year klx400 that only fits?

Thanks in advance for the responses!

Edited by mrwindta

I don't know the details but the later FI quad models have a different part number than the previous models.

Also, the quads use a single valve spring as opposed to the bikes dual. As a result they have a lower rev ceiling. They used to swap the valve springs for the DRZ's when building their race motors.

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, mrwindta said:

First i want to thank everyone for their input into the vast amount of knowledge that can be found on this site. It makes life a bit easier and interesting for people like me.

MY question is about fitting a ltz400(or klx400)cylinder head onto a drz400. I've searched the forum quite a bit and need to be sure a couple of things.

1. I've read that the ltz400 head is a direct fit for the drz but i would need to plug the manual decomp if i'm putting the cylinder head on a drz400s model. How exactly is this done?I'm assuming the ltz400 head has manual decomp

2.If i were to buy a ltz400 head to put onto a drz400s, would it make a difference whether i bought the assembly parts (cams,valves,shims,springs,etc) for the drz or for the ltz?

3.I've read that the klx400 head is a direct fit also. Is there a specific year klx400 that only fits?

Thanks in advance for the responses!

So may I ask why you want to put an LTZ400 head on? Are you getting one for cheap, or have a friend who will give you one? You don't sound like a wrencher so why open a can of worms? Buy something made for either the KLX400 or DRZ400.....pretty much any year. :thumbsup:

1 person likes this

The LTZ didn't have a manual decomp so no need to plug. For putting on an S model , just bolt it on and go , but as said valve springs are single spring, but if you don't run it at the rev limiter it'll work fine but the duals are better for for highway use , there is a reason Suzuki changed them. If you have a good LTZ head for cheap I'd go for it and change the springs. Problem is then how good are the valves and seats , always good idea to do the seats and put better valves in while the head is off.

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, jjktmrider said:

The LTZ didn't have a manual decomp so no need to plug. For putting on an S model , just bolt it on and go , but as said valve springs are single spring, but if you don't run it at the rev limiter it'll work fine but the duals are better for for highway use , there is a reason Suzuki changed them. If you have a good LTZ head for cheap I'd go for it and change the springs. Problem is then how good are the valves and seats , always good idea to do the seats and put better valves in while the head is off.

Thanks, that pretty much answers my questions.

1 hour ago, Signman606 said:

So may I ask why you want to put an LTZ400 head on? Are you getting one for cheap, or have a friend who will give you one? You don't sound like a wrencher so why open a can of worms? Buy something made for either the KLX400 or DRZ400.....pretty much any year. :thumbsup:

I started rebuilding a drz seized bottom end that i've been having for a while and i need to buy a head for it.So i'm just sorting through my options before i start spending. This is actually the first time i've attempted wrenching on a bike engine.

2 people like this

Yeah .. the smart option is to fit new valve gear on a used head , regardless what the previous owner tells you .

having the seats re cut only helps performance. 

1 person likes this