Bryan Bosch

Sneak peek with one of the first 2017 Yamaha FZ-09 in the US

7 posts in this topic

Check out this sneak peek with one of the first FZ-09s on U.S. soil – serial no. 000001! With new suspension, advanced rider-aiding electronics, and aggressive new styling, the 2017 FZ-09 will continue to be one of the hottest naked sportbikes on the road today. http://yamaha.us/YFZ09

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

That will take a bit to get used to.   Like the motor so far.  I think for 9k it is a good value. 

Edited by ossagp
1 person likes this

The engine is phenomenal.  I don't think I've ever seen a gasoline engine with a torque curve as flat as these have.

OTOH, the "thing" that holds the tail light and license plate is a travesty.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

29 minutes ago, grayracer513 said:

The engine is phenomenal.  I don't think I've ever seen a gasoline engine with a torque curve as flat as these have.

OTOH, the "thing" that holds the tail light and license plate is a travesty.

Go look on bikebandit and see what a replacement on all that is.  There used to be this Honda shop in Clovis Calif that would sell racers street legal bikes to be turned into race bikes.  They would let you take it out into the parking lot after paying full price and start taking off things you were not going to use.  They would buy back the lights,  mufflers,  stands,  fenders etc for a small percentage off of what they would pay for them.  I wonder if I could find a shop that would buy that horrible appendage back.  

They make it in a more street oriented trim too.   Very attractive to me.  

Edited by ossagp

I too see the need for that license plate thing to hit the trash can in a hurry. Great motor and chassis, just lacking that one styling point. Like the XSR900 (Beta tester for the slipper clutch, adjustable suspension, and the add on quick shifter) version look much better.

In the end, if I was to go for a big bore standard, it'd be the GSX-S1000. 140+HP, Brembo front calipers, real deal Showa suspension on both ends, just a very few lbs more than the FZ-09, no hideous wart of a license plate holder, only $1k more in price.. :thumbsup: 

1 person likes this

I too see the need for that license plate thing to hit the trash can in a hurry. Great motor and chassis, just lacking that one styling point. Like the XSR900 (Beta tester for the slipper clutch, adjustable suspension, and the add on quick shifter) version look much better.
In the end, if I was to go for a big bore standard, it'd be the GSX-S1000. 140+HP, Brembo front calipers, real deal Showa suspension on both ends, just a very few lbs more than the FZ-09, no hideous wart of a license plate holder, only $1k more in price..  

The best part of the GSXS is that it's basically that long stroke 05 R motor which can easily be tuned to make 155-160hp with a really beefy torque curve.
1 person likes this