z0n3d0u7

Cheap oil change?

14 posts in this topic

Working on a drz400 S that I just bought that was said to have severe blow by. After looking at it, I believe the "blow by" is actually oil blowing out of poorly routed vent tubes. I want to do an oil change with the cheapest possible "accecptable" oil, so that I know the oil in the bike is good, as well as flush any gas that may be in the oil before going with castrol synthetic or something of the sort. Is there anything in the $5-6 /qt range, that I can use for this purpose, just to make sure I don't have to tear further into the bike before I spend $12/13 a qt?

Any idea on the actual name of it? I'm seeing alot of people pushing Rotella T / T6.. is it any good?

Rotella T 15w40 has worked for me very well on the drz and most all of my small engines. My understanding is that fairly recently standard Rotella T 15w40 has been discontinued and replaced with a T4 version. While the new T4 version does carry all of the past certifications of the older "T" oil, I have heard that the change was due to new Govt mandates required for diesel oils, I'm just hoping those mandates don't mean any sort of "friction modifiers". Time will tell I guess. On a side note Rotella prices have risen quite noticeably in my area since the change over to T4.

when i had my zzr 1200, i had a lots of friends that were/are using the rotella.

the castrol , at autozone is right under $6. you can probably find it cheaper.

this screen shot is NOT from autozone, just a quick search result from some website

Screenshot_20170319-210400.png

1 person likes this

Its not like it takes 6 plus quarts. Just put in the oil that you plan on using in the long run. Worst case you you spend an extra $10.

2 people like this

any dino 10/40 will be fine as long as its not some weird 'bio friendly' bs or something .. back in '99 when i bought my bike all this synthetic and motorcycle specific oil was pretty much unheard of lol .. i broke in my bike and ran it on straight valvoline 10/40 for years ...

1 person likes this

Walmart has bike safe 10w40  (Valvoline) for $4 . They also carry other oils for bikes in my area . 

You could go to walmart and say that the shelf price was different that the scanned price... Check out with a cashier that doesn't look like they know what synthetic oil should cost if you know what I mean.

16 hours ago, z0n3d0u7 said:

Is Rotella t 15w 40 safe?

By all accounts it works well, think you are pretty safe with this stuff.

On 3/19/2017 at 6:44 PM, LoLoSama said:

Castrol has a dino oil for bike that is cheap and good

................but will it be fast? ;)

Diesel grade like Shell Rotella, CHevron DELO  or anything JASO, or API SG will be just fine.

................but will it be fast?

Diesel grade like Shell Rotella, CHevron DELO  or anything JASO, or API SG will be just fine.

it will give you at least an extra 15 hp !
1 person likes this