1gr8bldr

Favorite tires on your 230

38 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Looking for recommendations of tires. I see in pictures  that  230 riders often chose trials like tires. Last year I went with an aggressive IRC VE 33 on rear and 35 on front that I think if I recall correctly, that Vortec recommended. They replaced Bridgstone M603 that were hardly worn and instantly I had more confidence in the turns of virgin trails. They are wearing surprisingly slow. Which is great.  Got several bikes  with Motoz's, not sure how I feel about them? Maybe If I try to word it, they seem like a hard rubber, less grippy yet wear slightly faster??? Got the flu, so nothing better to do than to discuss tires. My other bike has Maxxis front and rear. Sidewalls are extremely weak on the Maxxis. .. but grippy soft rubber. They will not last long. 

Edited by 1gr8bldr

The IRC VE xx tires are my fav knobby for the  XRs.  There are other tires that are better for some terrain because of special performance features but the VE is a very good all around tire.

1 person likes this

We have been using IRC VE-33s for many decades.  Great all-around tire designed by IRC and Honda specifically for 4T bikes.

Anybody interested in giving the pros and cons of the trials type tires

51 minutes ago, 1gr8bldr said:

Anybody interested in giving the pros and cons of the trials type tires

You mentioned in a previous post that you noticed a lot of people use trials tires on their 230's. The reason is that they both reward the same riding style. If you like to climb stuff with no drama, noise, or wheelspin, a trials tire on a 230 is a good choice. Both the bike and the tire type are also exceedingly durable. If your thing is sliding into corners and spinning out of them, digging ruts and throwing roost, you need a different tire (and bike). 

The Dunlop 803 is my favorite trials tire.

Trials tires excel at straight line traction, especially on rocks and hardpack. They climb well. They don't destroy trails. For trailriders that primarily ride in good weather, it is the best tire. 

The weakness is loose stuff and downhills. They lock up easily on downhills and step out unexpectedly in corners. They don't work well on rocks covered thick in wet leaves, because they grip the surface instead of digging.  Mud is not as bad as you might expect, because the tread flexes and squishes the clay out of the voids. Doesn't completely pack up, but still not as good (fast) as a soft terrain tire. Works fine if you take your time and choose a good line. The sidewalls are thin, and may not work well with Tubliss ; I haven't tried, but that's what the Tubliss reps told me. I've only used them with tubes. 

Posted (edited)

Depends on which type as there a re a lot of tires out there that have a Trials style tread pattern but are not Trials tires.

The MT43 is popular because it is DOT rated but is not a Competition Trials tire.

My comments will be for Competition Trials tires; usually 2.75x21 or 80/100x21 on the front and radial ply 4.00R18 or 120/100R18 for the rear:

They made by Dunlop and Michelin , but Mich also makes a bias ply version for the rear; 4.00x18 vs 4.00R18. So look for Competition Trials marks, and for the rear make sure it has the "R" in the size. The rear radials are also tubeless but you can run them with tubes, I run mine with Tubliss and low psi with no tire/rim slip.

Radial ply construction provides more even pressure distribution in the foot print and a larger foot print; both work together to improve traction. Trials tires also have about twice the number of biting edges compared to a knobby.

The 4.00R18 size has a full size casing which provide better bump absorption than a regular tire, also bigger in diameter so slightly higher gearing.

The Dunlops have slightly stiffer side walls so would be my choice for dirt bikes because they are heavier than a Trials bike.

Most of what was said in the previous post. The lack of void space on the casing easily packs with loose debris so loose downhill can be spooky if you lock the rear wheel , just need better rear brake control and more front brake. The compliment in the PNW for the traction these tire have is "they are cheater tires". One area I ride has red clay and when wet it becomes very slippery , the Trials tires have better traction than any knobby that I have used. They behave like radial ply tires for cars; a higher threshold of traction before they begin to slip and a more abrupt transition to sliding. You can brake slide with them but you will need to refine your technique, I find it easier to just ride. And they have enough traction that they don't trench the trails like a knobby. My favorite tire.

on edit: typos

Edited by Chuck.

Posted (edited)

I am trying to decide about my Freeride. It has the Maxxis. Super soft and great traction but the sidewalls..... I don't know how they have lasted 3 rides. I can sink my thumb in over 1/2 inch. But traction is amazing. I was climbing up between two rocks on a 45 % and the front got light, so rather than give in, I just held on. It climbed almost straight up the rock left of the pass I meant to hit. Still don't know how it did that at a crawl speed. Not sure that's a needed quality for my type of riding.  There may not be an all around tire for my type. We ride virgin trails mostly. What I mean by that is that they are covered in leaves and pine needles being that we are the only one's who ride there. On my 230, the IRCs gave great confidence in the turns. But I also like to play, trials like, on obstacles, but a long way from the sort of thing you see on the net. I was wondering about side hill descending... if knobbies were better? I'm torn. I noticed that most trials riders keep the bike straight up, putting the traction in the flatter portion of the tire where dirt riders tend to lay it over more. Thanks for the responses, it helps me to think it through, although I can't decide EDIT, I should mention for those helping me decide, that I like traction. But I do lean the bike. I rarely break traction and see it as a downfall. Not for other riders, it has many benefits for a different style of rider

Edited by 1gr8bldr

One of my riding areas has some peaks a lot taller than the surrounding terrain so they have microwave towers on them, on one peak there is a very straight route from a road up the fall line to the towers, prob a utility corridor.  It has rocks and boulders, and require keeping your momentum and constant changing of your line. It is about 7/8 of a mile long with 850' of elevation change, but the last 1/4 mile is the most challenging because of  boulders. This trail is a challenge with knobby tires but a lot easier with Trials tires, I always clean it with my XR218 and almost always with my CRF250X. So IMO the smaller size of the XR, it tractable power, and traction make it a better bike for this climb.  Restarts on the hill are easier with a Trials tire than a knobby.  Here is a video of other riders climbing the "grunt" trail. The boulders show up at 1:25.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1av-gddfgRY

1 person likes this

We love the mt47.  400x18.  6psi  in Baja  we used to like  ve33/35. But with knobs falling off and tire 3/4  tread.  No mad. They started doing that last 7/8 years

1 person likes this

These Maxxis tires may be??? I don't know, the best cross between a trials tire and knobbie???? My biggest issue is the sidewalls are thin. Gaps in lugs front to rear are about 3/4 inches. The side lugs stick out more than other trials tires I have seen. What are your thoughts20170320_175139.jpg20170320_175255.jpg

Edited by 1gr8bldr

I can highly recommend Dunlop AT81 front and rear. They are the best IMAO for all around tires. I mainly ride the GP in the PNW. Not sure if anybody has given these a try on here but I love them. Very good traction on wet roots/rock and they are wearing very well for a soft compound. Best trail tire I have used to date.

1 hour ago, 1gr8bldr said:

These Maxxis tires may be??? I don't know, the best cross between a trials tire and knobbie???? My biggest issue is the sidewalls are thin. Gaps in lugs front to rear are about 3/4 inches. The side lugs stick out more than other trials tires I have seen. What are your thoughts20170320_175139.jpg20170320_175255.jpg

Reevaluate, the tire is off again for closer inspection. See my rant about Tubliss on the general forum. The tire has an extremely, amazingly, unbelivable  thin sidewall. Never will I knowingly run something so prone to get ripped. I honestly dont think it's 1/8 inches. Can not believe it lasted me 3 rides

Edited by 1gr8bldr

19 hours ago, bajatrailrider said:

We love the mt47.  400x18.  6psi  in Baja  we used to like  ve33/35. But with knobs falling off and tire 3/4  tread.  No mad. They started doing that last 7/8 years

can't find a mt47????

1 hour ago, 1gr8bldr said:

What does this stand for?

Gifford Pinchot National Forest and Pacific North West. Awesome riding. :thumbsup:

Edited by Chuck.
1 person likes this

After studying tires, I want a tire with more land to sea ratio than a full on trials tire. This to be able to sink into or dig into dirt slightly verses always on top. A cheater or hybird they call it. I want side lugs rather than a rounded  tire. Basically what I had except more durable. 

1 hour ago, Chuck. said:

Gifford Pinchot National Forest and Pacific North West. Awesome riding. :thumbsup:

What he said! lol

I think the AT81 is a good mix of trials and knobby. 

Any opinions on the Dunlop geomax mx52? I have a set of these on my xr100 and they really woke that bike up. I'm thinking of upgrading the stock pirellis on my 230 to the geomax 52 front and rear.

15 minutes ago, ricky racer said:

What he said! lol

I think the AT81 is a good mix of trials and knobby. 

I found some good reviews

The mt43 seems to have no side lugs. It does but they don't extend past the sidewalls. Good reviews but I think I will pass for this reason.

Kenda Equalibrium or Shinko 505 cheater????? or other????