Hello, I am looking for a used 125cc dirt bike. I am puzzeled because I do not know what I want, what would you guys recommend and why would you recommend it. Also where could I get performance mods, specifically suspension and which of the bikes have the most tuning capabilities. I've narrowed my choices down to Kawasaki kx,Honda cbr/xr, Yamaha yz, and Suzuki rm around the 2000-2005 range. I'd rather hear from people who owned one of the bikes but advice from any of the experts is welcome 

P.S I'm sorry for any mistakes like the wrong "sub forum" or grammar as I'm on mobile

Probably get more replies by asking this over in the dirt bike "what bike should I buy" forum..

I loved my 2001 Honda CR125 

For the KX, look at 2003+. 2003 was a new model with major changes.  The 2004 /05 got updated suspension and some orher smaller changes. 03 had the best suspension for trail riding, imo. Kawasaki made a very nice 125, probably the best.

Yz's and Rm's are a good choice as well, but I'm no expert on which years were best.  Between blue and yellow, I would go RM for a 125. 

The Honda CBR/XR you mentioned are not the same types of bikes. You meant to say "Honda CR", and I never liked them personally. Other people love them. 

What is your experience, and what sort of "performance mods" do you need? What riding type do you do? These are all purpose built race bikes, and for MX will work very well in stock form, after you sort the jetting and spring for your weight. They get more mods for woods, but its mainly about wants, not needs.

The mods will be moving this to "what dirtbike should I buy?"

I'm looking for suspension mods mainly after that I'm going to do some internals and maybe a rev box. I ride on dirt trails up hills and roads mainly. Thanks for the responses

13 hours ago, Hyundai Excel Fan Base said:

I'm looking for suspension mods mainly after that I'm going to do some internals and maybe a rev box. I ride on dirt trails up hills and roads mainly. Thanks for the responses

If you are looking to "do some internals" and install a rev box on a YZ, KX, or RM, I think you may need to do more general reading about these bikes. Tell us a bit more about yourself, and your riding experience. 

For me, none of the 5 speed 2 stroke bikes have ANY appeal.  As for suspension,  the two major players supply the suspension parts for all the mx bikes you mentioned.  There are shops all over that do suspension modifications.   You can google it and probably find someone in your area that is a suspension tuner.  We even have them in Anchorage Alaska.  I am guessing that your experience is just past zero,  so your needs to modify your suspension probably are not there yet.  The exception would be if you are extremely short.

If you want to buy the best suspended and lightest (and currently produced) japanese 125 mx bike,  that would be Yamaha.   

I would say I'm inexperienced at best, I don't know too much about identifying bikes even though I know how they work. I've been riding for 2 years now