2001 DRZ400s not starting need help

Alright im going to try and be as detailed as possible. Last road my 2001 DRZ400S in september, did an atv dirt bike ride with a group and it was about 40 miles of nothing but off road. crashed a few times and broke left rear turn signal. replaced the left rear signal, didnt get the chance to ride it since due to military stuff and leave. let the battery die on it and tried to jump it, jumped it and after a 5-10 minutes of cranking trying to get it running it finally kicked on but it ran very rough. lots of popping and back firing and would only stay running if i held the throttle half open and still connected to the jumping vehicle. came to conclusion that the battery was done. ordered new battery (BikeMaster TruGel MG7B-4). Got it in put it in the bike and tried to fire and it would just turn over and over but wouldnt start. exhaust would thump as the engine turned. pulled the spark plug and it was black, changed the plug to a new one, gapped right, checked for spark and got it put that in and it would still just turn over and over and not fire, still thumping from the exhaust. drained the carb, new gas. pulled the plug again and it was dry, put some gas on it and tried to fire again and same result. decided to pull the carb, jets were all junked up changed them out with MSR Carburetor kit from motorcycle superstore, only jet i didnt change was the secondary air jet that the diaphragm and needle sit on as it was clean, put the carb back together following the specs in the manual. put the carb back in the bike and same result, it would turn over and over, same thump from the exhaust but would not fire but there were times where it sounded like it was about to start (turned over faster and sound changed) but it never started and would only turn over. checked the plug again and it was still dry, still got spark, put more fuel on the plug again and same result. not sure what else to check but i hope one of yall out there can give me some advice to fix this. weather is too nice not to ride. 

I actually got it running earlier today. I put a cap of oil in the spark plug hole, put the plug back in, took air filter off and shot some starter fluid in there. It cranked for a second then fired up but died unless I twisted the throttle a little. Then I messed with the idle adjustment a little and got it idling fine without me touching the throttle. I do think my stator is going though. Battery was up around 13.7 volts while idling. But wasn't getting readings from the stator (could be user error since I have almost no mechanic skill) so I let it run for a little then shut it down. After I cleaned up tools and such and put the bike back together I went to start it up. It didn't start right away but it did start. I probably have to adjust my fuel air mixture. I did go for a ride for about 5 minutes to see if my battery would drain while riding and to get the kinks out and see what else was wrong. There was a slight lag between me twisting the throttle and the bike responding and then my throttle got very tight and stuck so I parked it for the night. Checked the battery and it was at 13 volts after riding (checked with the bike off but key still turned on) so hopefully I'll get the other stuff worked out soon.

• 4 weeks later...