GNCC 2017

I think part is just the lack of competition. Yes, it's still hard to beat these guys week in and week out but it does get boring if you have nothing to keep you sharp. You have to wonder if KR is always going all out or has a little more left in the tank? 

Well he still has a couple of things to shoot for. Most wins, most championships, most consecutive championships. A perfect season probably won't happen though.

I noticed a Familiar name in the Morning race of the Sportsman A class won by nearly 10 minutes. 

Sportsman A - Bike - Class Results

Place Nbr Name Hometown Brand Laps Elapsed

1 112 CHARLES MULLINS HICKORY, NC KTM 5 02:06:39.281

2 600 BRAD SAXON CARLTON, GA YAM 5 02:15:08.750

3 568 WILL SIEVENPIPER CUMMING, GA KTM 5 02:15:10.453

Edited by jetfuel
  • Like 2

I noticed a Familiar name in the Morning race of the Sportsman A class won by nearly 10 minutes. 

Yeah I saw that glad to see the wrist will hold up for two hours still.
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, jetfuel said:

Am I the only one that sees some genius in strategy by Charlie running the AM race? He finishes, goes back to the trailer and tells the guys what hot lines are opening up etc then the spotters go to those places on the track to point Kailub through. I know the PM race usually is a mile or so longer than the AM, but the vast majority of the course is the same. 

On sad note though, XC3 racer and local pro Cody Gragg and his father were killed in an accident on the way to the Cannonball this weekend. Some may remember him at the nationals a few years back giving it a go on a 250 smoker. Their toter supposedly blew a tire resulting in a crash that claimed both of their lives on I-77. 

Edited by StretchASU
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, StretchASU said:

Am I the only one that sees some genius in strategy by Charlie running the AM race? He finishes, goes back to the trailer and tells the guys what hot lines are opening up etc then the spotters go to those places on the track to point Kailub through. I know the PM race usually is a mile or so longer than the AM, but the vast majority of the course is the same. 

On sad note though, XC3 racer and local pro Cody Gragg and his father were killed in an accident on the way to the Cannonball this weekend. Some may remember him at the nationals a few years back giving it a go on a 250 smoker. Their toter supposedly blew a tire resulting in a crash that claimed both of their lives on I-77. 

Yes there could be a little strategy but i think he was just out there mainly for some fun. 

and yes very very sad about Cody and his Dad. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jetfuel said:

Yes there could be a little strategy but i think he was just out there mainly for some fun. 

Oh I don't doubt the fun part one bit. I'm just glad the guy can still run 2 hrs like that. But thats one nice way to get an idea of how the course is breaking down before the Pro race starts. Haha. I was hoping to see Ivan Ramirez give it a go this weekend since he has been out here riding with Charlie. 

4 minutes ago, dlock5 said:

Any chance Charlie's thinking about coming out of retirement?.

IMO, Zero chance. He has a good gig with the team. I think it would be cool to see him line up in XC3 though if he did. 

• 4 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, dlock5 said:

Anyone know what happen to Duvall today

Josh Strang nabbed the holeshot to start the race, but it wasn’t long before Russell had moved passed him to take the lead. Later on, Russell surrendered the point position to Thad DuVall for a moment following a scheduled pit stop for fuel. Besides that, Russell led it the whole way.

“It was a tough day out there, it wasn’t what I was expecting,” said Russell. “I thought the track would have more moisture. In some places you would have good traction, and other places it would just go away. I laid down a good pace on the first lap and Thad hung on there all the way to the end.”

Duvall, on the Rockstar Energy Husqvarna, kept Russell honest the whole way and was close enough to him to take the lead after having a quicker pit stop. Duvall, however, could not hold Russell off on the trail and found himself running second again.

“It was hard to get into the flow there at the beginning and I was kind of a little timid with the traction because some places you would have good traction and other places you’d just go away so it was kind of unfamiliar territory on the first lap,” Russell added. “But then we got into a good groove and I felt comfortable and laid down a pace that I knew was going to be really fast. I felt really good and solid on the bike. I made a few mistakes, nothing major, but I’m happy to come away with the win.”

Russell and Duvall ran 1-2 the whole race, with never more than a second or two separating them as they completed each lap of the seven-lap race. It wasn’t until the final lap that Russell was able to pull away a bit from Duvall. Russell ended up taking the checkered flag 18.7 seconds ahead of Duvall.

• Like 2

Video of the XC1 front runners coming through the bridge crossing after pro pit. This was the start of lap 2. A little after this Joey Crown came through in the XC 2 class and about put it in the water at the far side of the bridge. We were camped right there last year and the guys were going the opposite direction during a mudder. Made for great spectating and some close calls. 

Going into the last lap, Kailub stopped for a quick splash of fuel. The course was very open, lots of grass track and very fast. I usually pit my buddy who finished 2nd in Vet B and he had burned waaaaaay more fuel than normal when he stopped (he runs a '17 350 XCF for comparison). I did too during the 10am race. Thad did not pit before going out onto the last lap. He ran out of fuel on the MX track and was rolling doubles because he was afraid the bike would shut off. He stopped and sloshed what little fuel was still in the tank to get it to the pickup. It got him to where he could get fuel on course from the team but there was still a ruling on that to be handed down last I heard. The rule has a bit of a grey area to make a long story short. 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

No updates from me this week other than what we can all find on social media. Stayed around home and raced locally. F a 10+ hour haul just to race a guaranteed mudder. I won't run many more GNCC's this year now that the southeast swing is over. Probably just Snowshoe and then Ironman at the end of the year. From the pictures I have seen it looks like it made Camp Coker 16 look dry. Honestly, races like that are a wildcard for the points and a war of attrition. One wrong line choice can ruin your day, if not your championship hopes. Great to see Thad finally get on the top of the box and for Strang to be back up there as well. 

• Like 3

Watched some of the live coverage, race looked like a complete mess, no real race coverage, commentators couldn't even ID the racers coming through.  No real reason for KR's performance, just seems like he went down at the start and never got going afterwards.   Thad closed the points gap a bit but Baylor had a bad race as well so the guy who was closest didn't gain any ground. 

Edited by subxero
  • Like 1

Watched some of the live coverage, race looked like a complete mess, no real race coverage, commentators couldn't even ID the racers coming through.  No real reason for KR's performance, just seems like he went down at the start and never got going afterwards.   Thad closed the gap a bit but Baylor had a bad race as well so the guy who was closest didn't gain any ground. 

Yeah according to instagram Baylor had to go to the hospital with a high fever and low blood pressure.

This weekend's John Penton GNCC postponed until July 8-9 due to the impending forecast. 

Anyone interested in the opinions on the second race in a row being postponed, go check out a number of the pro's IG accounts and comments on GNCC Social media lol. It's getting good. 

This weekend's John Penton GNCC postponed until July 8-9 due to the impending forecast. 
Anyone interested in the opinions on the second race in a row being postponed, go check out a number of the pro's IG accounts and comments on GNCC Social media lol. It's getting good. 

Are we talking rain or tornados lol.