New vs used

Im 37- man that sounds old saying- 175 and 6'-1". athletic shape. 

Few things are pushing me towards the 230 series:

1. budget- $3-5K. Dont want a 5-10 year old model of any kind. found a few 13'- 14' TT models out there for around $3K. I also have a friend that works at a dealership and can get me a new TT/crf out the door for $4,400. 

dont see too many crf-230's that are older than 5-6-7 years old.. must be a reason hang on to them vs there seems to be more 2nd hand TTR-230's out there

thoughts?

thank you

2 hours ago, jpbelair66 said:

Im 37- man that sounds old saying- 175 and 6'-1". athletic shape. 

Few things are pushing me towards the 230 series:

1. budget- $3-5K. Dont want a 5-10 year old model of any kind. found a few 13'- 14' TT models out there for around $3K. I also have a friend that works at a dealership and can get me a new TT/crf out the door for $4,400. 

dont see too many crf-230's that are older than 5-6-7 years old.. must be a reason hang on to them vs there seems to be more 2nd hand TTR-230's out there

thoughts?

thank you

Where do you intend on riding?  What is the terrain like?

The 230F has a few attributes which some consider to be advantages.

-Mid size and low seat height.

-Sweet mellow engine.

She needs help to be a great trail bike, most notably in the suspension department.  Tires, a few engine mods and viola, lotsa fun to ride.

With this in mind, I see no reason to start with a brand new bike which is almost unrideable offroad in showroom condition.  Get one for around $2k and make the proper mods.

• Like 3

Since the 230f is real bad (Susp) stock as is the TTR230. There are more up dated parts available for the 230f. Your in Calif I have bought 4- 230s as new none over 1600.00. Lucky I did that because the parts I took off the bikes filled the garage. It is a great bike but needs help stock.After mods its the best fun bike I have owned.

• Like 2

Their bulletproof I had one for 2 years and bought it used and the air box had a rats nest inside of it and the oil looked like chocolate milk but I went over the bike and rode it for 2 years and never had no major issues out of it and by the way it was a 2005 model and it didn't look like that when I bought it ?

20170211_150917.jpg