Beginner bike for an 18 year old

I'm having some trouble deciding between two bikes. I have some riding experience but it's very minimal. When I was 13 I hopped on my first bike, a ttr125l and broke my femur the first ride out (the day after Christmas on my Christmas present) and have only ridden a handful of times since. It's been 5 years now and I've decided it's time for me to get a bike and get to riding. I've decided that I really want a 2 stroke and have come down to two bike. The first bike is an 02 kx 125 in good shape, freshly rebuilt with fresh plastics, graphics, brakes and fork seals. The second bike is a co worker of mine's (I work at a Husqvarna dealership) and it belongs to our head mechanic. The bike is an 01 cr250 with about 10 hours since last rebuilt and extremely well taken care of. I'm 6'2 260 and I haven't had much experience on 2 stroke bikes but I've decided it's between these two, any advice/thoughts/comments are welcomed. The bike will almost always be ridden on desert trails. 

Edited by James Noe

I'm having some trouble deciding between two bikes. I have some riding experience but it's very minimal. When I was 13 I hopped on my first bike, a ttr125l and broke my femur the first ride out (the day after Christmas on my Christmas present) and have only ridden a handful of times since. It's been 5 years now and I've decided it's time for me to get a bike and get to riding. I've decided that I really want a 2 stroke and have come down to two bike. The first bike is an 02 kx 125 in good shape, freshly rebuilt with fresh plastics, graphics, brakes and fork seals. The second bike is a co worker of mine's (I work at a Husqvarna dealership) and it belongs to our head mechanic. The bike is an 01 cr250 with about 10 hours since last rebuilt and extremely well taken care of. I'm 6'2 260 and I haven't had much experience on 2 stroke bikes but I've decided it's between these two, any advice/thoughts/comments are welcomed. 

A nice 01 CR is a great bike, arguably the best motor Honda ever put in an mx bike.
  • Like 1

If you are mainly going to trail ride neither one of those two,

look into an off-road specific bike rather than a motocross race bike.

Example a CRF-X, WR-F, or a KTM XC-W in you're really set on a 2-stroke.

What is your budget?

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

What is your budget?

Nonsense, after a mere 5 years and several thousands in aftermarket doodads, my YZ mx smoker bike is almost rideable on gnar!
  • Like 1

https://www.google.com/am

2 hours ago, mlatour said:

What is your budget?

sorry for the late response guys but I'd really not like to be over $2,500 otherwise I would probably be riding a TE250

24 minutes ago, HappyAndy said:

Wait, wait, lets back up a bit..... How did the OP break his femur on his first ride on a TTR125? That's a story that must be told, and may inform the decision at hand now.

I was at a local riding area we have and was putting around on the track and had a guy on a bigger bike jump on to the tabletop I was on and come down on me. He was banned from the track for recklessly riding but nonetheless I suffered a broken femur and dislocated shoulder. Trey Canard quickly became my favorite pro rider after coming back from his femur breaks 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, James Noe said:

I was at a local riding area we have and was putting around on the track and had a guy on a bigger bike jump on to the tabletop I was on and come down on me. He was banned from the track for recklessly riding but nonetheless I suffered a broken femur and dislocated shoulder. Trey Canard quickly became my favorite pro rider after coming back from his femur breaks 

so you are on a RACE track putting around, get landed on and it was the guy using the track for what it is intendeds fault?

I don't have track experience so would also just putt around also, but would not go out if the experienced guys are out there.

Edited by Excitable