Rebuild and Refresh of 2003 625SXC

So it is time to rebuild my trusty and sadly neglected SXC. It has been mothballed in pieces for the last year as I sorted out my YZ250. The western BDR's are calling though, so it is past time that I finished this project. I am hoping to have the bike up and running again for some late spring fun. I got the bike from the second owner in 2012 and it has been a fantastic bike. Light and nimble for such a big bike. The end of 2015 I did a ride and the countershaft felt loose. Inspecting it when I got home, I noticed a leak in the clutch slave and then upon some disassembly to check out those problems...well, you guys get the idea, mission creep got me as I started envisioning the "GREAT DUAL SPORT REBUILD". So here I am, on a mission to finish the project and actually ride it again. 

On the master list are the following projects:
1. Rebuild carb (done)

2.reinforce subframe (I found a replacement that had this done already)

3.Powder coat frame/subframe

4.Rebuild suspension & Linkage

5.Rebuild water pump

6.Adjust Valves and check rocker bearings for wear

7.Install HDB Rally Lite nav tower, Scott's steering Damper and LED headlights

8.Upgrade stator

9.Send Saddle to Seat Concepts

10.Rebuild both wheels with Excel Takasago rims

11.Rebuild both brakes and install oversize front rotor (I'm going to be loading the bike down)

12.Install 18 liter tank

13.Remove the idiotic Recluse clutch and reinstall the stock setup

14.Replace the handlebar, grips, tires and other parts that are worn or damaged

I have been working on the bike on and off for the last year, but it has taken a back seat to several other projects. During the down time, I have continued to accumulate needed bits and pieces. I still have a boatload of stuff to get, but I am finally at a point where I can at least pick this back up and work on it steadily until it is finished. Anyhow, Here is the before picture...

10367815_796873566998077_3515933373309637867_n.jpg

So, things are moving sort of slow at the moment. I got in an order today, part of a center stand setup and some new Excel Takasago rims. I am spending this week organizing my garage and coming up with a game plan of what to do when. I am guessing this build will run a good bit and I want to make sure things get done when they need to be done. I have my suspension rebuild planned and scheduled. 

unnamed (5).jpg

unnamed (3).jpg

On 2/20/2017 at 4:05 PM, KaptainKoolz said:

Subbed for the ride:ride: Just got finished completely rebuilding a 640A and im still working out the bugs

Very cool. Initially, that is the bike I wanted, but when this SXC came up for sale locally and I test rode it, I was sold. Now, not so oddly, a lot of the upgrades I am doing are making it into a sort of Adventure "Light".