16 vs 17 300 XC

I know I know this has been beat to death. But now that more people have gotten some good time on the new bike, and I am looking to pull the trigger on one in the next week, I want to hear what you all think.

Preferably those that have had both ( 13-16 300xc) and now the 17. Or have at least ridden both.

What are your thoughts?

Would you go back?

Are you happy now thinking back on the cost?

Basically I can get a 16 for $2,500 less then the 17. The main selling points for me is the air fork, then the counterbalanced motor then the new starter design.

Photos just for reference.

IMG_1487296696.756150.jpg

I can't say for the 300, but I own a 16 250xc and have ridden it back to back with a 17 250xc. I love the counterbalance, vibration is almost nonexistent. The 17 felt soft compared to my bike in the low to mid range but equal in the top end. I am not a fan of the air fork but I am riding a kyb conversion, not saying I wouldn't get used to it though who knows. I don't like all of the tuning issues with the 17's, my 16 was near perfect from day one and I've never had an issue with it. The 17 I rode came from the factory puking premix onto the back fender, he has since cleaned up the jetting since then but in my opinion it's sub par. Idk, long story short, I could've got a 17 this year but I'm still riding my tried and true 16.

Is saving $2500 worth the starter maintenance (clean/inspect/grease) you need to do in the pre '17 engines?  If you're ok with doing that and you're religious about it, the '16 will work.  The $2500 savings gives you the option of having the forks switched to SSS and still having $1500 left in your pocket.  

1 hour ago, 2TAintDead said:

If I go with the 17 I am going to try to get a Lectron as soon as possible or at least a JD jet kit.

I recommend holding off. Get it, ride it a few hours to break it all in, and see how it works. My 17 worked great as delivered. No need to spend money until you know you need it. Also, for me, there was no need to butcher the air box. YMMV, etc.

Take the money you saved and spend it on women, whiskey or gambling, in other words, invest it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pat22043 said:

I recommend holding off. Get it, ride it a few hours to break it all in, and see how it works. My 17 worked great as delivered. No need to spend money until you know you need it. Also, for me, there was no need to butcher the air box. YMMV, etc.

Take the money you saved and spend it on women, whiskey or gambling, in other words, invest it

haha good advice. Ill wait and see, i had pretty good luck jetting my other bikes. Learned a lot too. If anything ill just try the JD kit. A buddy got one for his 13 300 and it just really cleaned it up, not that it was bad before. 

I also heard that KTM has since come out with a new needle and revised jetting....

Just now, 2TAintDead said:

I also heard that KTM has since come out with a new needle and revised jetting....

Yeah, my dealer sent out an email about that, but no details on it, or invite to get it switched.

One thing to note, a fair number of the first 2017's had poorly set float levels. Made it rich and brubly at low throttle settings. Its an easy and quick thing to check if you detect it in the first rides

6 minutes ago, pat22043 said:

Yeah, my dealer sent out an email about that, but no details on it, or invite to get it switched.

One thing to note, a fair number of the first 2017's had poorly set float levels. Made it rich and brubly at low throttle settings. Its an easy and quick thing to check if you detect it in the first rides

Cool i will be sure to check that! I am hoping my dealer dose a good job prepping the bike. They said they will jet it and make sure everything has enough grease. 

I have a '12xc 300 as well as a '17 and can say that the 17 is LIGHT years better in almost every way. The AER forks alone are sooo much better ( and the 16 xc has the crappy 4cs forks that my 12 does not). Suspension, handling, starter, counterbalancer, even lower low end due to change of power valve, odi lock on grips, lighter.  JD kit is awesome and definitely ends the carb issue in minutes. go for the 17 for sure.

Joe

• Like 2

Depends on what you're doing and your budget. If only recreational trail riding either one you buy you're gonna throw money at it. If e-start is not a must then I'd consider a leftover YZ250X. No, not a YZ250 with mods, the YZ250X model. If money is no concern then just get the 17. Electric start is really nice even on a two stroke. 

5 hours ago, shrubitup said:

Depends on what you're doing and your budget. If only recreational trail riding either one you buy you're gonna throw money at it. If e-start is not a must then I'd consider a leftover YZ250X. No, not a YZ250 with mods, the YZ250X model. If money is no concern then just get the 17. Electric start is really nice even on a two stroke. 

I actually was highly considering the 250x especially for the SSS forks. It was second on my list. But I saw the value in all the extra stuff i would get for the around $2k more for the KTM. Then having to subtract from the savings a larger tank it really made them to close in cost. Plus its awesome how light they made the ktm even with is having the e start they are really close as far as weight. 

28 minutes ago, 2TAintDead said:

I actually was highly considering the 250x especially for the SSS forks. It was second on my list. But I saw the value in all the extra stuff i would get for the around $2k more for the KTM. Then having to subtract from the savings a larger tank it really made them to close in cost. Plus its awesome how light they made the ktm even with is having the e start they are really close as far as weight. 

Resale will favor the KTM significantly. Not saying KTM suspension is garbage but people can spend big money on making it suit their needs best. 

29 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

Resale will favor the KTM significantly. Not saying KTM suspension is garbage but people can spend big money on making it suit their needs best. 

Ah yes i forgot about the resale as well. Especially in Colorado, people love the 300 KTM's. I was pretty happy with the suspension on my 07 250xc, so i think this would only be better. Plus I like the the air fork because it is much cheaper to have re valved. 

I have a new 17 300. So far have only filed the slide as instructions from ktmandhusky.com(very simple) and lowered the float slightly. Filing the float puts the Mikuni on par with the Keihin from previous years. If you watch Dave Simons video its very understandable. I think opening up the airbox will benefit but I dont know if I would go to the extent as he has . The reeds definitely need addressed . Its one thing for them to not seal its another for them to chip off and mess up pistons, rings and cylinders. I think Daves reeds are the ticket or the new v-force.

Just makes us mad that all these things have to be addressed . Can the engineer designers at KTM be this ignorant ? How many sales are lost from this and do they care ? Makes us wonder what else is half a**.

We also have a 17 Beta 300 in the garage. It has v-force from factory and the jetting is very close. Nice quality everywhere. Don't think Beta could afford to send bikes out like ktm/husky and expect to maintain sales. JMHO

• Like 3

6 hours ago, RMK800 said:

I don't know if this has been touched but my brother just got a 2017. He told me that his big notice is the bike feels narrow between the legs, he felt like his old 300 felt a bit like a 4T and this bike feels more like a 250.

I have heard a few others mention that the bike feels a little narrow. But sitting on them I didnt really notice. the dealer i am going to look at one this week said they have a test ride area so i will be sure to focus on that when riding it around. 

36 minutes ago, 3pine said:

I have a new 17 300. So far have only filed the slide as instructions from ktmandhusky.com(very simple) and lowered the float slightly. Filing the float puts the Mikuni on par with the Keihin from previous years. If you watch Dave Simons video its very understandable. I think opening up the airbox will benefit but I dont know if I would go to the extent as he has . The reeds definitely need addressed . Its one thing for them to not seal its another for them to chip off and mess up pistons, rings and cylinders. I think Daves reeds are the ticket or the new v-force.

Just makes us mad that all these things have to be addressed . Can the engineer designers at KTM be this ignorant ? How many sales are lost from this and do they care ? Makes us wonder what else is half a**.

We also have a 17 Beta 300 in the garage. It has v-force from factory and the jetting is very close. Nice quality everywhere. Don't think Beta could afford to send bikes out like ktm/husky and expect to maintain sales. JMHO

Thanks for the input. I have seen the videos for the slide mod. I will see how it runs when i get it then start making the changes. i also would like to avoid cutting up the air box to much. I am most surprised by the reed problems. that just seems like a quality control problem, something you dont hear to often on the European bike brands. 

I agree on the Beta as far as them really watching their quality control. I like the beta on paper but when I sat on one at the dealer it just felt off. I cant really explain it but it just did not feel as good of a fit for me as the KTM. 

On 2/19/2017 at 2:35 PM, 2TAintDead said:

Thanks for the input. I have seen the videos for the slide mod. I will see how it runs when i get it then start making the changes. i also would like to avoid cutting up the air box to much. I am most surprised by the reed problems. that just seems like a quality control problem, something you dont hear to often on the European bike brands. 

I agree on the Beta as far as them really watching their quality control. I like the beta on paper but when I sat on one at the dealer it just felt off. I cant really explain it but it just did not feel as good of a fit for me as the KTM. 

I thing I agree with you about the fit of the Beta . It is different than a KTM . Can't put my finger on it . I'm getting use to it but need to solve the super hard seat problem and I'm raising the bars 1 inch. Then I will see . As it sits it very livable and handles well.