High blood pressure and Motocross

Age is catching up to me...

Was at the Doctor and checked blood pressure, it was high so he prescribed Lisinopril. (Starting with 5mg and then up to 10mg) (HBP runs in my family)
I exercise and live a fairly healthy life, besides riding Enduro/Motocross.... :-D
After reading about some of the possible side effects, it scares me a little to start taking this, as I really want to keep up with my riding.
Have not started taking this, but I know I have to. I eat healthy, do regular exercise but nothing gets my BP down.

So my question is: Has anyone any information on how this might influence riding Motocross? Anyone with first hand experience?

I really do hope this will not end my riding, as I have been on Dirt Bikes since age of 17 and now at age 48 I love it more than ever.

Thanks.

What is your blood pressure at & what did your doctor suggest besides the meds?

6 hours ago, DirtBikeHead said:

What is your blood pressure at & what did your doctor suggest besides the meds?

It was 150/90 when checked over 24h.
He really did not suggest anything besides meds...
I have started a better training schedule, and have lost 9lbs so far. I hope that I can get off these meds, but since it runs in my family I really dont know if it is possible.

I was running into a similar problem but not as high as yours but I don't want to take any meds so I've been very proactive to lower it naturally. After a lot of research I started taking some supplements & cardio for 35 minutes 5 x a week. All of this brought my blood pressure down to around 118/80. The supps I recommend is 100-200mg daily of CoQ10, Krill oil (I find more effective than fish oil), vitamin D (should have yours checked next blood test to see if your deficient) & Beet juice - does wonders! I included links to what I like at the bottom. I'll leave it up to you to do your due diligence to make sure there aren't any interactions with your current meds/supps. Are you taking any of these now? 

Even though the hereditary component is a determining factor, don't get too hung up on that. From my personal experience I've been able to get by naturally when every one else in my family is on either a statin or some other heart related med. I would focus mostly on cardio for a bit and see what happens, plus not a bad idea to get a blood pressure monitor to keep an eye on things at home. 

Krill Oil: https://www.amazon.com/Viva-Naturals-1250mg-serving-Capliques/dp/B004TBCT4G/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1487859285&sr=8-1&keywords=viva%2Bkrill%2Boil%2Bsupplement&th=1

CoQ10: https://www.amazon.com/Qunol-UBIQUINOL-Superior-Absorption-Patented/dp/B00ZQULF1C/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1487859405&sr=8-3&keywords=qunol+coq10

Organic multivitamin I like: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003DH1S26/ref=sxr_rr_xsim3_a_it?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=2795440402&pd_rd_wg=QGp1E&pf_rd_r=HPSJ8NY6907W46SWPSW8&pf_rd_s=desktop-rhs-carousels&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=B003DH1S26&pd_rd_w=nYrVm&pf_rd_i=qunol%2Bcoq10&pd_rd_r=P77NVTB8WMPADMTBJVZ0&ie=UTF8&qid=1487859405&sr=3&th=1

Blood pressure monitor I use: https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-EW3109W-Portable-Pressure-Monitor/dp/B000NY6JXA/ref=sr_1_27_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1487859551&sr=1-27&keywords=blood%2Bpressure%2Bmonitor&th=1

I'm not a doctor by any means but have learned a lot by researching things. Hope this helps & be sure to let me know if you try any of this with success. 

18 hours ago, DirtBikeHead said:

I was running into a similar problem but not as high as yours but I don't want to take any meds so I've been very proactive to lower it naturally. After a lot of research I started taking some supplements & cardio for 35 minutes 5 x a week. All of this brought my blood pressure down to around 118/80. The supps I recommend is 100-200mg daily of CoQ10, Krill oil (I find more effective than fish oil), vitamin D (should have yours checked next blood test to see if your deficient) & Beet juice - does wonders! I included links to what I like at the bottom. I'll leave it up to you to do your due diligence to make sure there aren't any interactions with your current meds/supps. Are you taking any of these now? 

Even though the hereditary component is a determining factor, don't get too hung up on that. From my personal experience I've been able to get by naturally when every one else in my family is on either a statin or some other heart related med. I would focus mostly on cardio for a bit and see what happens, plus not a bad idea to get a blood pressure monitor to keep an eye on things at home. 

Krill Oil: https://www.amazon.com/Viva-Naturals-1250mg-serving-Capliques/dp/B004TBCT4G/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1487859285&sr=8-1&keywords=viva%2Bkrill%2Boil%2Bsupplement&th=1

CoQ10: https://www.amazon.com/Qunol-UBIQUINOL-Superior-Absorption-Patented/dp/B00ZQULF1C/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1487859405&sr=8-3&keywords=qunol+coq10

Organic multivitamin I like: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003DH1S26/ref=sxr_rr_xsim3_a_it?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=2795440402&pd_rd_wg=QGp1E&pf_rd_r=HPSJ8NY6907W46SWPSW8&pf_rd_s=desktop-rhs-carousels&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=B003DH1S26&pd_rd_w=nYrVm&pf_rd_i=qunol%2Bcoq10&pd_rd_r=P77NVTB8WMPADMTBJVZ0&ie=UTF8&qid=1487859405&sr=3&th=1

Blood pressure monitor I use: https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-EW3109W-Portable-Pressure-Monitor/dp/B000NY6JXA/ref=sr_1_27_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1487859551&sr=1-27&keywords=blood%2Bpressure%2Bmonitor&th=1

I'm not a doctor by any means but have learned a lot by researching things. Hope this helps & be sure to let me know if you try any of this with success. 

Thanks DirtBikeHead!
Great info, and thanks for the links and suggestions for supplements.
I take some supplemets like fish oil and multivitamins, but I will look into what you suggest.

I'll let you know how it turns out!

--Ove

About 2 years ago, my Dr said that he will be monitoring my BP because it had a pattern of creeping up. That day my BP was 142/92 and I heard about all the side effects of BP medication and didn't want to take any. I asked him if there was anything else that I could do or take and he replied exercise. I was fit but he said exercise, like walking/jogging, etc.

I took up cycling and within 3 months, my BP was down to normal levels. Now, at riding for about 18 months, it is steady at 116/72.... way better than I can recall.

If high blood pressure runs in your family no matter what you do it is going to be high without meds.  With my little pill of Lisinopril once a day my BP is ~120/78.  I eat healthier than about anyone I know, exercise alot, don't smoke or drink.  Just take your meds and you will be fine.

Since that medicine is supposed to keep your blood pressure down, you might not be able to get your BP up enough the keep up with the exertion and increased heart rate that comes with it. Check with your doc about that.

On 2/16/2017 at 3:24 AM, ove said:

Was at the Doctor and checked blood pressure, it was high so he prescribed Lisinopril. (Starting with 5mg and then up to 10mg) (HBP runs in my family)
I exercise and live a fairly healthy life, besides riding Enduro/Motocross.... :-D
After reading about some of the possible side effects, it scares me a little to start taking this, as I really want to keep up with my riding.
Have not started taking this, but I know I have to. I eat healthy, do regular exercise but nothing gets my BP down.

So my question is: Has anyone any information on how this might influence riding Motocross? Anyone with first hand experience?

I really do hope this will not end my riding, as I have been on Dirt Bikes since age of 17 and now at age 48 I love it more than ever.

Thanks.

My father is 53 and went to the doctor to get his BP checked, it was a tad high (nerves) and my doctor tried to get him some BP pills. If you ask me that shit is stupid and is only going to put more stress on your body. Taking BP pills should be a LAST resort. 

Do this and see what it is

Take your blood pressure after the first few seconds of waking up before you get out of bed. Also check your pulse, 

if it's within a normal range while in this position then you should be in good health. waking up and having a blood pressure of 140/90 and a heart rate of 100BPM would be concerning and i'd suggest BP pills. 

I'm no doctor and don't take my word but i feel this would be a good way to go about it. 

Remember, the more pills you let go into your mouth the more strain your body has to deal with. Not even to mention flying around on a high powered motorcycle. 

Cheers and happy healthy health. 

The right pills take the strain off your body.  You have that pretty backwards.  If you have high BP, for instance, and you don't take your meds then you are putting a strain on your body that can lead to stroke and heart disease.  Medicines, the right ones that is, are a lifesaver.  Too many people die from treating themselves with naturopathic crap or alternative therapies.

On 3/6/2017 at 11:05 AM, cjjeepercreeper said:

If high blood pressure runs in your family no matter what you do it is going to be high without meds.  With my little pill of Lisinopril once a day my BP is ~120/78.  I eat healthier than about anyone I know, exercise alot, don't smoke or drink.  Just take your meds and you will be fine.

I agree with this to a certain point, and that point being too many patients are looking for that "miracle" pill when a simple lifestyle change might work just as effective for them. Not everyone, but for some and why Dr's don't fully explain other options with their patients baffles me. Maybe because it takes more time to explain options than it does to write a prescription.

Just now, NYMXer said:

I agree with this to a certain point, and that point being too many patients are looking for that "miracle" pill when a simple lifestyle change might work just as effective for them. Not everyone, but for some and why Dr's don't fully explain other options with their patients baffles me. Maybe because it takes more time to explain options than it does to write a prescription.

You are absolutely right.  When it comes to high BP just taking that little pill isn't getting you all the way where you need to be.  Exercise, eating right and lifestyle play a huge part.

Fasting can reverse hbp.

On 3/20/2017 at 1:26 PM, jcross312 said:

Fasting can reverse hbp.

Please provide some proof, because I think this is not true and people actually believe this "internet" advice and end up getting into serious health distress.

However, if you know something that I don't, which is very likely as I am no expert on this, please share your source.

My family has a history of heart disease and high BP, but I have been holding off meds for a few years now with diet, exercise and supplements. Flax seed oil, beets and apple cider vinegar along with exercise and diet changes have made a tremendous difference in my BY and dropped the bottom number 14 points with no meds. A big secret to lower BP is to be sure and be hydrated.

I don't know for how long I can stay away from high BP meds, but I will try stay off them for as long as it is safe to do so. My current BP is 118/72

Please provide some proof, because I think this is not true and people actually believe this "internet" advice and end up getting into serious health distress.
However, if you know something that I don't, which is very likely as I am no expert on this, please share your source.
My family has a history of heart disease and high BP, but I have been holding off meds for a few years now with diet, exercise and supplements. Flax seed oil, beets and apple cider vinegar along with exercise and diet changes have made a tremendous difference in my BY and dropped the bottom number 14 points with no meds. A big secret to lower BP is to be sure and be hydrated.
I don't know for how long I can stay away from high BP meds, but I will try stay off them for as long as it is safe to do so. My current BP is 118/72

I had high blood pressure about a year ago, and was feeling pretty bad. Stress, poor diet, etc, etc. I knew I had to do something or I was gonna have to see a Dr. I read a little online and came across the fasting info, which seems to be a well known remedy for hbp. So I tried it. Went like 6 days with only water. I've done other fast before this one so I was getting pretty good at it I guess. Bottom line, it works for me. Started feeling ALOT better, and blood pressure came way down. Seemed like a completely positive experience. Watch some videos on YouTube about fasting. Most people react positively to it.
On 2/16/2017 at 2:24 AM, ove said:

Thanks.

Been taking Lisinopril (Zestril)  since I was 31 yrs old (60 now). HBP runs in my family & I probably haven't helped it much over the years but it's been under control for a long time w/ the help of this drug. It will probably not effect your riding a dirt bike but as for riding other things...it's all down hill from this point forward.

On 3/22/2017 at 3:30 PM, dfesmire99 said:

Been taking Lisinopril (Zestril)  since I was 31 yrs old (60 now). HBP runs in my family & I probably haven't helped it much over the years but it's been under control for a long time w/ the help of this drug. It will probably not effect your riding a dirt bike but as for riding other things...it's all down hill from this point forward.

They make a pill for that now too. :smirk:

Thanks for the input guys.
Been taking the pill, doing my excersises and eating healthy and my bp is now down to normal again.

Have tried to ride my XR600 and doing some easy enduro riding and have had absolutly no problems. Next weekend I will get on my CR250 and try to ride some MX.
Only little problem I have from taking the pill so far is a dry cough a couple of times a day, and i'm sweating a bit more when excersising. 
So thanks again, I'll keep on riding it seems :ride:

I haven't noticed any negative side effects while riding while on the pill and I ride just as hard as my body will allow. I take a different BP med though, but been doing so for a couple years now. I actually am able to take half a pill and maintain a good low BP.

Taking 1 x 10mg of amlodipine a day now for a couple of years.
BP is now under control.
I don't smoke, eat fairly healthy and a few beers on a weekend.
BP hereditary in the family.
I believe we can certainly help ourselves lowering BP a little by doing things in moderation but we may need intervention of medication.
I ride MX or at least try and BP will not stop me from doing so.
At the end of the day what is one tablet a day for the rest of your life?
Keep riding.